Third quarter has kicked off to be packed with excitement as the students and staff are getting back into the routines of school after winter break and the snow days. Every group has been buzzing as learning continues to take place and students continue to grow.
Thank you to all of our Kindergarten - 5th grade families for making it out to SAGE Conferences in January! They were a great opportunity for you to hear about the amazing things your children are learning at SAGE!
As a SAGE school community, we continue to strive for excellence through following our Big Three Expectations and in holding students accountable for maintaining focus and allowing others to learn. It is our goal to continue to support a learning environment where academic success is a reality for all students and the pride of all parents and the community.
Thank you for your help as well work together to provide a wonderful learning community for our students to learn and grow!
8th grade High School Enrollment Information
It’s already time for the 8th grade SAGE students to think about enrolling for high school next year! Throughout the month, each of the high schools' gifted resource specialists are presenting information and working with the students on an initial four-year plan.
Your child has received high school materials to share with you. Please don’t worry if they still have questions! This was only the first round of planning. We will continue to assist our 8th graders with the support of the HS SAGE teachers.
Feel free to seek out your child's high school gifted resource specialist at the 9th grade enrollment opportunities:
Oak Park: Lori Dameron firstname.lastname@example.org
Staley: Carol Toney email@example.com
Winnetonka: Carrie Marcantonio firstname.lastname@example.org
North Kansas City: Marcus Myers email@example.com
Congratulations to both of these students for representing the NIC in competing at the Jackson-Clay County Semi-final Spelling Bee on February 16th.
Neve Nash - Spelling Bee Champion for PEGS at the NIC
Amelia Toney - Spelling Bee Alternate for PEGS at the NIC
Congratulations to our very own SAGE students for being the Bee Winners for their home school!
Yerik Miranda - Crestview
Jocelyn Timmermeyer - Lakewood
Elaina Beeson - Meadowbrook
Colby Horton - Nashua
Carson Crockett - Northview
Andrew Parnacott - Ravenwood
Scarlett Nicholson - Rising Hill
Tri Lam - Topping
Zaina Hanon - West Englewood
Jamie Comer - Eastgate 6th grade Center
Antonio Menjivar - Maple Park
Grace Chong - Northgate
We wish our participants the best of luck!
SAGE Center Dates to Remember!
Wed., Feb. 13 - PAGS Board Mtg. 5:30 p.m.
Fri., Feb. 15 - No School Staff Professional Development Day
Sat., Feb. 16 - Spelling Bee Jackson-Clay Semi-finals
Mon., Feb. 18 - No School President's Day
Tues., Feb. 19 - PEGS Field Trip
Fri., Feb. 22 - MS VR Field Trip
Tues., Feb. 26 - GAM Day (Jefferson City)
SAGE Parent Small Groups
At our November Parent Ed Camp, we provided an opportunity for parents to express interest in participating in small group get-togethers with other SAGE parents to continue the discussions we had, learn more from each other, and create a support network among the parents.
Several parents raised their hand to also lead these groups. So far we have volunteers for Primary, Intermediate, and Middle School age groups. (If you are interested in leading a group for HS, let us know!)
If you are interested in participating, please use the link below to a Google Form and fill out your contact information. We will only share your information with the volunteer leaders of your chosen group.
NKC PAGS Board
GAM Legislative Letter Contest Grades 3 - 8
Updates from the SAGE Office
- Visitors: As a reminder, all Parents, Friends, and Visitors are asked to enter / exit through the South door of the Center - near the 1st floor circle drive. The south door provides a door bell so the SAGE Staff ensures that they can greet you when you arrive. Parking is temporarily available in the Circle Drive. Please avoid arrival and dismissal times.
- Late Arrival: If your child arrives late to SAGE, please enter through the South door of the Center. Parents should sign the student in at the Office. Attendance will be shared with the home school.
- Drop Off: Please do not drop students off or enter through the east-facing doors (main doors) of the NIC. This is an unsecured entrance and is not monitored by the SAGE staff.
- Need the Nurse: When your child becomes ill, he/she should see our SAGE Nurse. Nurse Tilsworth will then contact the parent if the student needs to go home. Please remind your child to see the Nurse, rather than text/call you during school when they are not feeling well.
- Lunch: SAGE lunch times are listed below. If you’re eating lunch at the SAGE Center with your child, please remember parents may sit at a designated table with his/her child. You may also bring food for only your child. Food may not be shared or purchased for other children.
- Lunch Accounts: Lunch accounts may be kept up to date by visiting the "My Payments Plus" link below. Free and Reduced Lunch applications are also available.
Thank you for adhering to the above policies and procedures.
SAGE NIC Lunch Menu
News from the Nurse
In order to help prevent the spread of illness at school, please remember that if your child has a fever, vomits, or has diarrhea during the evening or night, per district policy, please DO NOT send your child to school the next day. Often times, the symptoms return and the child will be sent home. In the meantime, he/she has exposed other students and the teachers to unwanted germs and viruses.
When to return to school:
- Keep all children home for a full 24 hours after symptoms of illness have subsided.
- Children sent home with a temperature of 100 degrees of higher, or sent home due to vomiting or diarrhea must stay home the following day.
- Fevers must be gone for 24 hours WITHOUT the aid of medication (Tylenol, Motrin).
If you have any questions, please contact the SAGE Nurse's Office at 816-321-5350 or your child's home school Nurse.
What Time Does SAGE Begin and End?
PEGS - 8:25 a.m. - 3:20 p.m. (Thursday, 2:50 p.m.)
6th grades - 8:30 a.m. - 1:45 p.m. (Thursday, 1:15 p.m.)
7th & 8th grades Middle School - 9:30 a.m. - 1:45 p.m.
K - 5th Elementary - 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. (Thursday, 2:30 p.m.)
SAGE Lunch Times
6th, 7th, & 8th grades - 11 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
K - 2nd grades - 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
3rd, 4th, & 5th grades - 12:20 - 12:50 p.m.
PEGS - 12:25 p.m. - 12:55 p.m. (M-Th) 11:55-12:25 p.m. (F)
On several days of the week, the SAGE Cafeteria is a busy place! Due to minimal space, when visiting your child for lunch, you will be asked to sit at a Parent-Designated table with only your child. Thank you for your flexibility as we accommodate the various lunch shifts.
Check out the SAGE Newsletters for Middle School
How Can I Stay Current?
Please like our page at: NKC SAGE.
You can still follow us on Twitter @NKC_SAGE. Please also watch for periodic emails or phones calls from the Center.
The SAGE Center latest news and information can be found throughout the week on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.nkcschools.org - click on SAGE Center (Gifted).