AHS Tiger Tales
October 3 - October 7
Information for All Students
- Wednesday, October 5: Wednesday is PreACT testing day for all sophomores and WorkKeys testing for specific seniors (these students have been notified that they are testing). It is a virtual day for all juniors and for all seniors who are not taking the WorkKeys test.
- More specific test information has been sent to parents and students via Blackboard messages that are sent via email, text message, and/or phone call. Please be sure to read these communications to be well prepared for and well informed about test day.
- The following are general reminders about test day procedures.
- As a reminder, all sophomore students, whether they are being dropped off/picked up by a parent or driving themselves, will enter and exit the building from/to the Blue Lot, which is accessible via Airport Road/Glenn entrance.
- Testing starts at 8:15 a.m.
- Students should not bring any digital devices on campus.
- Students should not bring bookbags on campus.
- Students may only use ACT approved calculators (see document below for details)
- Students may bring a snack and water (to be left outside of the testing room)
- Testing for most testers will be over between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m.
- Again, students may only be picked up from the Blue Lot, which is accessible via Airport Road.
- Flu Vaccination Opportunity: AHS nurses are hosting the HNH Immunization Company on Monday, October 3. They will be on campus during the morning to administer flu vaccinations to students. There is no charge or fee for this vaccination, but insurance will be billed if you have insurance. Students who have PEEEHIP insurance are not eligible for this clinic but will have a chance the following week to receive a flu vaccine.
- Students had to turn in a a parent/guardian permission form by September 28 in order to participate. Those students will be called from their class on the morning of October 3. If you have questions please call 334-887-0054.
- Pink Out the Duck: We plan to Pink Out the Duck at the football game on October 28. Our theme this year is ‘Wipe Out Cancer," and shirts are available via MySchoolBucks or you can purchase from a HOSA member with cash or check. All proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
- Design Club Shirts Are Here: If you ordered "College Town" or "Bee Tow Pel Eye Kuh" shirts, they are ready for pick up. Students may pick them up from Mr. Cox in room 1344. Anyone who ordered a shirt but does not have a student at the high school can ask any AHS student or teacher they know to pick them up for them. If you have questions, please contact Mr. Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Auburn Show Choir Stage Crew Opportunity: Anyone interested in being a part of the Auburn Show Choir Stage Crew, please fill out this form. There will be an informational meeting on October 14 immediately after school in the choir room (3114). Come find out what it’s all about!
- Girls’ Tennis Tryouts: Girls' tennis tryouts will take place October 18, 19, 24, 25, & 26 from 4:15-6:00 p.m. at the AHS tennis courts.
- The AHS Tennis program is a competitive program that competes in matches and tournaments locally and around the state. Beginners are welcome, but this is not a learning program. Girls must be able to immediately participate in match play. It is also preferred that girls trying out have an established UTR (Universal Tennis Rating).
- Girls in grades 7-12 that are interested in trying out must have a Dragonfly account and that account must be up to date.
- A current physical is required for tryouts.
- Players must provide their own rackets.
- Girls may ride the athletic bus to AHS from ESS and AJHS for tryouts.
- Please follow the schedule below for when to come to tryouts:
- Oct 18 - girls who did not play on any AHS team last year.
- Oct 19 - girls making the 1st call backs, plus returning JV players
- Oct 24 - girls making the 2nd call backs, plus returning Varsity players
- Oct. 25-26 – all girls making the 3rd call backs
- Boys' Tennis Tryouts: Varsity Boys' Tennis tryouts will take place November 14-15 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. at the AHS tennis courts.
- Any student who would like to tryout for JV Boys' Tennis, either because they tried out for Varsity and didn’t make it or choose to only tryout for JV, the JV Boys' Tryouts will be November 16 through 18 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. 18 at the AHS tennis courts.
- The AHS Tennis program is a competitive program that competes in matches and tournaments locally and around the state. Beginners are welcome, but this is not a learning program. Boys must be able to immediately participate in match play. It is also preferred that boys trying out have an established UTR (Universal Tennis Rating).
- Boys in grades 7-12 that are interested in trying out must have a Dragonfly account and that account must be up to date.
- A current physical is required for tryouts.
- Players must provide their own rackets.
- Boys may ride the athletic bus to AHS from ESS and AJHS for tryouts.
- Safe House of Opelika Service Project: AHS Intro to Veterinary Science classes and FFA are working on a service project that involves collecting items for Safe House of Opelika. These items will be collected through November 18. Click the flyer to enlarge it and see what is needed and where to find the donation boxes. Please visit room 1008 if you have any questions.
Information for Seniors
- Senior Quotes: The AHS Yearbook Staff is very excited to bring back Senior Quotes. Seniors may purchase their senior quote for $5 via MySchoolBucks.
- If a student's quote is not school appropriate or does not fit the length limitations (100 characters including spaces), the yearbook staff will give the student ONE chance to resubmit an appropriate quote. This will be done using a form the yearbook staff will send to the student that allows the student to fix any errors.
- If the second quote once again goes against ANY school policy, then the student will not have a quote in the yearbook and the money will not be refunded.
Information for Juniors
- Free ACT Prep Saturday Sessions: The deadline to register for Auburn High School's 5 FREE ACT Prep Saturday Sessions is 3:00 p.m. Monday, Oct 3. Limited seating is available. Students will be informed if they have received a spot for the sessions by Wednesday, Oct 5.
- Click this link to register.
- The first ACT Prep Session will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Saturday, Oct 8, 2022 (with a FREE Chik-Fil-A lunch afterward)! The other four dates are November 5, January 28, February 11, and February 25.
- If students attend all 5 Saturdays, they will have completed 3 full ACT Practice tests before taking the “real” ACT at AHS on March 14, 2023. Door prizes will be given to students who attend, along with a grand prize drawing for students who attend all 5 Saturdays.
- Students will take practice tests (with feedback) and receive Tip sheets.
- ACS Transportation can be provided.
A Message from our PTO!
Our Homecoming Tailgate BBQ Lunch was a success! Thank you to everyone who has joined our PTO and donated to our hospitality link. Your memberships and donations allow us to make events like this possible!
Still want to join PTO? Please find our Auburn High School PTO logo on MSB where you can join our PTO and/or make a donation to our hospitality link. Thank you for supporting our AHS teachers/staff and students!
Reminders from Previous Weeks
- "Where's the Bus" App: Auburn City Schools is excited to introduce the opportunity for bus riders' parents to know their assigned bus's location. Using the free app "Where's the Bus," parents can see live updates, tracking, and the estimated time of arrival for buses.
- Parents/Guardians can create an account or view the updates from a web browser or computer by going to https://wheresthebus.com or downloading the "Where’s the Bus" app for your device (Google App Store, Apple App Store).
- NOTE: "Where’s the Bus" recommends only one account per family and for the family members to share access. If more accounts are necessary, please email their support at email@example.com.
- To create a free account, parents/guardians will need to know the student's birth date and Student ID number.
- Once the app or website is launched, follow the instructions below.
- Click Create Account
- Select Auburn City Schools from District list
- Add Student
- Fill in Birth Date and the Student ID
- Click Save
- Click Continue
- Fill out required information, check box, and Click Signup
College/Recruiter Visits for Juniors and Seniors
A representative from the schools/organizations listed below will visit AHS (or host a virtual event) to meet with prospective students.
- University of Southern California (USC) - Monday, October 3, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the schola
- Auburn Army Recruiting - Thursday, October 6, during all lunch waves in the cafeteria
- Furman University - Friday, October 7, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the schola
- Student Council Meeting - Tuesday, October 4, at 7:45 a.m. in the schola
- ACE Meeting - Thursday, October 6, at 3:35 p.m. in the schola
Important Dates to Remember
Staff Development Day (no school for students) - Monday, October 17
Veterans Day Holiday - Friday, November 11
Thanksgiving Holiday - Wednesday-Friday, November 23-25
ALL students need to join the Counseling Schoology Page, access code CDKZ-ZVQ7-GTSJS.
Late Arrival, Early Release, and Off-campus Dual Enrollment students must secure reliable transportation to be on campus for AHS Traditional courses and off campus otherwise.
Students' Schoology logins are their school username and their school lunch number (ex: jjsmith/1234)
Where to Find Help
Medical/Health Needs & COVID-19 Reporting: Contact our school nurses!
Nurse Alissa Compton, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nurse Krystal Lorton, email@example.com
Academic and/or General Assistance: Contact our school administrators!
Families with Last Names A – E: Ms. Justina Wills, firstname.lastname@example.org
Families with Last Names F – K: Mr. Chris Hames, email@example.com
Families with Last Names L – R: Mr. Jamie Rice, firstname.lastname@example.org
Families with Last Names S – Z: Ms. Beth Antoine, email@example.com
Auburn High School Principal: Dr. Shannon Pignato, firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic and Emotional Support: Contact our school counselors!
Families with Last Names A – E: Ms. Isalie Corneil, email@example.com
Families with Last Names F – K: Ms. Marie Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org
Families with Last Names L – R: Ms. Heather Langford, email@example.com
Families with Last Names S – Z: Ms. Nichole Warren, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mental Health Counselor, Student Services and Support: Ms. Sheryl Smith, email@example.com
Technical Assistance: Use the Help Desk!
On our school webpage: https://www.auburnschools.org/domain/2254
Ways to Stay Informed: Visit these websites!
Auburn City Schools - https://www.auburnschools.org/
Auburn High School - https://www.auburnschools.org/ahs
Auburn High Twitter - https://twitter.com/AHSAuburnTigers
Auburn High Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AHSAuburnTigers/
City of Auburn - https://www.auburnalabama.org/
Auburn High Schoology - https://acs.schoology.com/login/ldap?&school=297955122
Alabama Department of Public Health - http://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/