The Life Cycle of a Star

By: Connor Meagher

Before The Star Is Born: The Interstellar Medium

The interstellar medium is the portion of space in between each star. 75% of the star during this stage in its life is hydrogen. The other 25% is composed of helium. 99% of the interstellar medium is composed of interstellar gas.
Big image

The Life Cycle of the Stars: Protostar

This is the first step in the life cycle of a star. The star during this phase is larger than most planets but smaller than most other stars. The temperature of a star during this stage is about 15,000,000°C. The elements present in this stage is 97% hydrogen and 3% helium.
Big image

Equillibrium Is Established

Equilibrium is a balance. In this particular case its is gravity pulling towards the center and the gas pressure pushing heat and light away from the center.
Big image

The Birth of the Star

This is the nebula and protostar. This is when the star is "born" this is the first stage in the life of a star.
Big image

Second Stage of a Star

The second stage of a star is also called the Main Sequence. Hydrogen and helium fuse together to create enormous amounts of energy. The larger the star is the shorter the lenth of the Main Sequence lasts.
Big image

Third Stage of a Star

The third stage of the stars are called Red Giants. These form because of the loss of hydrogen in the star. This makes the star shrink but the atmosphere expand giving it the look of a bigger star. During this stage the temperature of the stars decreases but the luminosity gets brighter.
Big image

Final Stage of a Star

The final stage of the star is called the White Dwarf. This stage is when it dies. The reason why the star finally dies it is because of the loss of hydrogen. The temperature of the star increases while the luminosity decreases. A supernova is a large explosion created when there is complete loss of a fuel source. A planetary nebulae is created when a star blows off its outer shell exposing the White Dwarf on the inside.
Big image

The Role of Stars Light

What the light of a star revels about its composition is that the brighter it is the more oxygen it is burning.Stars color can be red-shifted or blue-shifted because of the distance it is from us. If the star is farther way it is going to be red. If it is closer to us it will be blue. A stars light could be compared to the Doppler effect because of the stars high frequency. When we see the stars light it isn't just a solid light it is actually light pulsing really fast.

Big image

The Origin of the Elements

When stars blow up the release elements that come down to Earth.

Bibliography

"14.5: Main Sequence Star Lives." Main Sequence Star Lives. Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://www.ck12.org/book/CK-12-Earth-Science-Concepts-For-Middle-School/r9/section/14.5/>.

"Animals and Lifecycles - Lifecycle of a Human Being (Mammal)." Lifecycle of a Human Being. Web. 23 Mar. 2015. <http://www.planetozkids.com/oban/animals/animal-lifecycles/lifecycle-of-a-human-being.htm>.

"Ask an Astronomer." Cool Cosmos. Web. 22 Mar. 2015. <http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/225-What-is-a-planetary-nebula->.

"Habitable Worlds around White Dwarf Stars?" Centauri Dreams RSS. 01 Aug. 2012. Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=23911>.

Howell, Elizabeth. "What Are Redshift and Blueshift? | Space.com." Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://www.space.com/25732-redshift-blueshift.html>.

"The Interstellar Medium." The Interstellar Medium. Web. 19 Mar. 2015. <http://ircamera.as.arizona.edu/NatSci102/NatSci102/lectures/ism.htm>.

"Lecture 11: The Internal Structure of Stars." Lecture 11: The Internal Structure of Stars. Web. 23 Mar. 2015. <http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit2/structure.html>.

"Lecture 11: The Internal Structure of Stars." Lecture 11: The Internal Structure of Stars. Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit2/structure.html>.

"Life Cycle Of Stars." Life Cycle Of Stars. Web. 23 Mar. 2015. <http://www.slideshare.net/jan_parker/life-cycle-of-stars-3196871>.

Oak, Manali. "Life Cycle of a Star." Buzzle. Buzzle.com. Web. 16 Mar. 2015. <http://www.buzzle.com/articles/life-cycle-of-a-star.html>.

"Patchy Red Giants Are Common Fate of Sun-like Stars." - Space News. Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/587197/patchy_red_giants_are_common_fate_of_sunlike_stars/>.

"Protostars." Protostars. Web. 23 Mar. 2015. <http://aspire.cosmic-ray.org/Labs/StarLife/starlife_proto.html>.

"Stars - LIfe Cycle - OW." TMSMawakaSci7 -. Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://tmsmawakasci7.wikispaces.com/Stars - LIfe Cycle - OW>.

"What Is A Protostar – Mass Formed Because of Contraction of Gas." What Is A Protostar – Mass Formed Because of Contraction of Gas. Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://planetfacts.org/protostar/>.

"Why Does a Star Explode? : DNews." DNews. Web. 24 Mar. 2015. <http://news.discovery.com/space/why-does-a-star-explode.htm>.