What are we learning in the library?
September was a great month in the library! All classes have their checkout routine down and we are starting to add more activities and lessons into their library time. I have introduced centers that they can work on when they finish choosing their books and I would have to say that many of the students love reading the new joke books to each other! In the coming weeks all classes will be taking a pretest on how to use Destiny Quest, our online library catalog, and will be learning how to use many of its features to help them locate books and information.
Graphic Novels! We have always had a few graphic novels for students to choose from, but they are so popular that we have created a special shelf for them and added some new books and more are on their way. When you come in the library you will see a nice shelf labeled for graphic novels, but it will likely be empty. Our students love these books and they are always checked out!
Scholastic Book Fair
Monday, Oct. 26th, 8am to Friday, Oct. 30th, 3pm
101 East 4th Street
Mark your calendar for October 26-30 including parent conference night! Please remind students that this is coming up. I will be talking to them about it in library the week of October 12.
- Please continue to send your library books down as soon as possible the morning of your library day.
- Please continue to arrive and pick up on time.
- I am at Newport Intermediate School in the mornings this year. After 12:15 you can reach me by email and I will get back to you asap.
- I will be sending out overdue notices to students next week (Oct. 12). They are just reminders if they have had a book out for more than a week without renewing it. I will place them in homeroom teachers mailboxes. Please send them home.
There are a lot of great resources available in the bookroom. Picture Perfect Science was added in August. If you haven't had a chance, be sure to take a look.
- Please make sure you are checking everything out that you take. It is important that we keep track of materials for future use and know what is being used so we know what to order in the future.
- Be sure all materials are returned. All bags have a label listing what should be in the bag. Please take care of the materials while they are in your possession. Many of the bookroom materials are only available to purchase as a set, so it is very difficult to replace single items when they are lost.
KYVL - Coming soon!
Kentucky Virtual Library (KYVL) - This resource is returning to us soon. Once I get the login information I will send it out. This is a great place for students to learn how to do research and find credible information. It is also a great resource for teachers. Be on the lookout for more information.