Week of May 4, 2015
A Note From Dr. Johnston
Friday, May 1
SOFTBALL vs. Bryan Adams HS at Forrester Field
BASEBALL (V) vs. Forney
BASEBALL (JV) @ Forney
May 1 & 2
TRACK Regional Track Meet @ UTA
BAND - Showcase of music, 2pm @ Richardson HS Performing Arts Center
Support Falcon Nation...Join PTO
Tickets: $75 for any Forney ISD student, and $80 for any non-FISD student. Ticket sales should begin on Monday, May 4th.
Date approval forms will be available in the front office and are REQUIRED for ANY student that DOES NOT attend North Forney (this includes Jackrabbits!)
Senior Awards Ceremony - Monday, June 1st
Monday, June , 2015
Ceremony to begin at 7pm in the NFHS Auditorium
Graduation, Wednesday, June 3
Where: Curtis Culwell Center (aka Garland Special Events Center)
Seniors need to arrive by 2:30
Do you owe money?
You will not receive your tickets for graduation until ALL fines have been cleared.
A-F: Kristy Swiger
G-N: Tanya Armstrong
O-Z: Bryan Sharkey
Talon Theatre on the Red Carpet
We were privileged to be a part of the 2015 Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musical Theatre Awards. We were honored with three nominations and were in the company of some AMAZINGLY TALENTED schools across North Texas. I (Ms. Kent and all the faculty and staff of NFHS) am so proud of the work these kids did in our inaugural HSM contest.
I look forward to what these kids have up their sleeves for NEXT YEAR! Auditions for the 2015-2016 Talon Theatre Production cast and crew will be held May 9th. If any students are interested in auditioning, they can sign up for an audition time at http://talontheatre.simplybook.me or they can email me at Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Hope Carter and Carter Hall (Featured Performers) with Mrs. Jessica Kent
Best Supporting Actor and Actress Nominees
Allen Porterie and Savanna Morgan with Mrs. Jessica Kent
Red Carpet Interviews
Varsity Mixed and Varsity Women's Choirs competes in Houston
The North Forney Varsity Mixed and Varsity Women competed in Houston over the weekend in the ‘Space City Choral Festival” at St Paul’s United Methodist Church. I am proud to announce that our mixed was honored as “Overall Grand Champion” and both our mixed and the Varsity Women were named “Best in Class” in their divisions.
I want to express a word of thanks to our parents and to Mr. Sharkey our administrator who traveled with us. Their support was greatly appreciated. If you have any varsity singers, please take a moment to congratulate them. It’s good to be a Falcon!
UIL Journalism Regional results
Hannah Mendoza placed 3rd in Feature Writing, which qualifies her to advance to State competition!!! Perhaps, the first time in school district history [but I haven’t been here that long] there will be a student advancing to the State competition for UIL Journalism!! And she also placed 4th [alternate for State] in News Writing.
Caitlin Mendoza placed 4th in Headline Writing [alternate for State].
Kali Dorsey placed 9th in Social Studies
Gerritt Graham tied for 19th place
Nikky Jackson tied for 21st place.
Please congratulate these students for representing NFHS with the brilliance they possess used to further themselves.
Lady Falcon Softball claims District Championship
Way to Go Lady Falcons!!!!
Come out to support the Lady Falcons as they take on the Lady Cougars of Bryan Adams High School on TONIGHT at 7:30pm on Forrester Field in a single BI-district playoff game.
Area results for Lady Falcon Track
The Lady Falcons track team competed in the area track meet, Thursday, April 23rd, to represent North Forney. The team has worked very hard this year to achieve their goals and accomplishments including advancing to the Regional meet! Here are the results:
- 100-Gregriana Blake 2nd place Regional Qualifier
- 200- Gregriana Blake 3rd place Regional Qualifier
- 800- Sydnei Crouch 3rd place Regional Qualifier
- 1600 Sydnei Crouch 4th place Regional Qualifier
- 4x200-Branesha James, Gregriana Blake, Crystal Orisakwe, Candice Brown-7th place
- 4x400-Branesha James, Timeisha Jones, Candice Randles-Brown, Sydnei Crouch-5th place
Please congratulate these ladies!! Great work and Good Luck at Regionals
Boys Track Competes at Area
The Falcon Boys Track Team spent yesterday competing in the area track meet in Dallas. The Falcons did their very best and finished sixth overall in the total point standings and many athletes will be moving on to the regional meet. Athletes that finished in 1st through 4th place qualified for the Regional meet. All of the Falcon Family represented North Forney very well and were on their best behavior. Here are the top finishers in their event. Thank you for your support and everything you do for these student athletes.
- Kyle Garcia-1st in the 3200 and 2nd in the 1600
- 4x100 Relay-2nd, team includes: KeShawn Dickinson, Derrick Mosley, Jarie Moore, Tay Dickinson
- 4x200 Relay-3rd, team includes: Dickinson, Mosley, Moore, Dickinson
- Tay Dickinson-3rd in long jump and 4th in the 200 meter
- Norris Floyd-3rd in Shot Put
- Tre Dixon-5th in Discus
- Kaden Kinnart-7th in Shot Put
Great work Falcons and GOOD LUCK at Regionals
Dancing through the Decades
See you there!!!
Student vs. Staff Volleyball Game on Friday, May 15th
On Friday, May 15th our National Honor Society is hosting the “North Forney Battle of the Volleyball Stars” game between the NF faculty and student body. Tickets to the event will be on sale in the cafeteria during lunches for $2.00 each this week.
In addition, chances will be sold for a $1.00 each for the opportunity to play on the student team. There will be a drawing to see who plays two days before the event.
So, stop by the table during lunch to buy your tickets and chance to play the faculty in this “Challenge of the Volleyball Titans”
End-of-course testing NEXT week
Algebra EOC - Tuesday, May 5
US History EOC - Wednesday, May 6
Biology EOC - Thursday, May 7
Some Things to Keep in Mind for EOC
If you've been reading you know that not next week, but the week after, is our second round of spring EOC testing on campus - Algebra (freshmen) May 5th, US History (juniors) May 6th, and Biology (freshmen/sophomores) May 7th.
If you have a freshmen, sophomore, or junior who will be testing, please be aware of the following:
1. Students should be dismissed from testing rooms prior to lunch.
2. Please make sure students get plenty of rest the night before.
3. Students are expected to be in dress code while in their testing room.
4. Students will stay in their testing rooms for the majority of the day. They may bring a library book to read (no magazines, crosswords, etc.) once they have finished testing.
5. Please remember cell phones, ipods, mp3 players, laptops and other electronic devices cannot be out before, during or after the test. If caught with one, a student’s test might be invalidated. Students will be asked to turn them in to the teacher before testing. They will be returned after testing with no penalty.
AP Testing May 4-15
May 4: AP Psychology (PM)
May 5: AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC (AM)
May 6: AP English Literature and Composition (AM), AP Physics 1: Algebra-based (PM)
May 7: AP Spanish Language and Culture (AM)
May 8: AP United States History (AM), AP Studio Art portfolios due by 8pm EDT
May 11: AP Biology (AM)
May 12: AP US Government and Politics (AM), AP Spanish Literature and Culture (PM)
May 13: AP English Language and Composition (AM)
May 14: AP World History (AM), AP Macroeconomics (PM)
May 15: AP Microeconomics (AM)
Some things to keep in mind for your AP test.
- Report to room 307 at 8am for a morning test and 11:40 for an afternoon test where you will drop off your personal belongings, cell phones, etc.
- DO NOT BE LATE - Late students WILL NOT be admitted to testing rooms
- Dress in layers, you never know how the AC will work on test day
- Things you CAN bring into the testing room: No. 2 pencils and erasers (bring multiple), blue or black pens, test-appropriate calculator (Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Physics, Biology), ruler (Physics only)
- Things you CANNOT bring into the testing room:
- Electronic equipment (cell phone, camera, smartwatch, recording device of any kind)
- Correction fluid
- Highlighter or colored pencils
- Mechanical pencils
- Scratch paper
Good Luck in your studies, be sure to get a good night's sleep before your test, eat a good breakfast and/or lunch on the day of your test. You are expected to be in dress code on test day. And again, DO NOT BE LATE, you will not be admitted to the testing room.
TVCC Scholarship Application
Been accepted to College...sign up to have your picture taken in the Counselor's office
It's never too early...
A planning guide to aid in your quest: http://goo.gl/fdQdPM (please be patient, it's 18 pages and it may take a few moments to open).
Looking for Scholarships on the web??
Are you looking for scholarships? Search engines require you to create a profile and they will then send you scholarships opportunities which may apply to you. There should be NO cost involved with any of these search engines:
· Fast Web: http://www.fastweb.com
· Zinch: www.zinch.com
· Tuition Funding Sources: http://www.tuitionfundingsources.com/
· Scholarship Points : http://www.scholarshippoints.com/
· Every Chance Every Texan: http://www.everychanceeverytexan.org/
As always, if you have questions please contact your student's counselor.
A-F - Ms. Rain
G-N - Ms. Baughman
O-Z - Ms. Byrd
After School Intervention (ASI)
Giving effort and meeting timelines are habits that can be developed. Please continue to encourage your student to strive to give their best effort and submit each assignment on-time or before the due date.
We appreciate your support as we challenge our students to set, raise, and achieve personal learning goals.
Upcoming ASI dates
No ASI on May 4, 6, 7 due to EOC and AP testing
If you have not had an opportunity to view the video on ASI, please click the following link.
If you have questions for a specific staff member please use the links below to identify contact information and tutorial times.:
Teacher emails: http://goo.gl/ESaQp9
Teacher tutorials: http://goo.gl/gvh9aW
Teacher emails: http://goo.gl/ESaQp9
Teacher tutorials: http://goo.gl/7tdlf6
You can also contact your child's Student Service Suite. Student Service Suites consists of an Assistant Principal and Counselor and are divided by alphabet. NFHS Student Services contact information is: 469-762-4159 (NFHS main line) and ask for the following Student Services Suite