HTM News and Events | March 2017
A Note from our Head of School
Even though it's only March, I think Spring may have "sprung" at HTM! We are excited to watch the changes in nature as the season progresses...we can't wait until everything on campus is lush and green and full of vibrant color. It won't be long!
Here are a few things on my mind as we head into March:
- We anticipate a great Spring season, and there are many dates to remember over the next few months. Please keep in mind our School Calendar is published the summer before school starts and events are subject to change, so make sure you are checking the "Calendar and Events" section at the bottom of each Trillium to be sure you're staying up-to-date. A few important ones: our Family Tree Planting and School Beautification Day (April 8) and of course our Spring Celebration (May 5 and 6)!
- Families of current and rising Upper Elementary students, please be sure to RSVP here to let us know if you can attend our Middle School Interest Meeting next Thursday, March 9. I'm really looking forward to hearing from you about the awesome program we're building at HTM.
- All families should have received our 2017-2018 Staffing Letter last week. We know changes can sometimes be unsettling, so feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about your child's placement or teachers for the coming year.
Finally, we are excited to share we are experiencing phenomenal student retention: 92% of currently enrolled children will be back for 2017-2018! This is the highest retention we have ever experienced, which is truly a big honor considering all the changes we’ve experienced this year. I want to thank you for trusting all of us to give your children a wonderful educational experience. We are so excited about what is to come here at HTM next year and beyond!
Coffee with Kate
Teacher Appreciation Week
Travels with Bud
Bud and Carol Miller are true friends of HTM and have been huge supporters of our school since before we ever opened our doors in 2009. They love to travel the world and experience other cultures, and we are excited to announce a fun new initiative for our students in Kindergarten and above: "Travels with Bud!"
Each month, Bud will join us during one school day to share a cultural geography lesson about a special location he has visited. He will also bring tasty samples of foods native to the featured area.
Our first "Travels with Bud" day was February 24, during which Bud shared all about a trip to Alaska. We learned a lot about glaciers and even sampled some fish. It was a great opportunity for our students to hear about an area of the world which is quite different from Tennessee! We can't wait to see where Bud will take us next!
VIP of the Month
Andrea usually prefers to stay behind the scenes, but she's one of the unsung heroes at HTM. Since joining our community several years ago, Andrea has been involved in a number of fundraising initiatives, projects and events at our school. She has been so helpful and is always willing to do whatever needs to be done to help us reach our goals. Andrea has helped with too many things to mention, but we truly appreciate her work with our consignment sale, her support on our Grant Committee, and her initiative to sort and inventory our entire Elementary library. She has made multiple trips to McKays to help us get the books we need.
Andrea is a great example of a parent who saw a need and took the initiative to find a solution, and our students reap the benefits! She is a fantastic member of our HTM community and a wonderful team player, and we are grateful for her contributions.
Andrea, THANK YOU for all you do to make a difference at HTM! We greatly appreciate you!
Upcoming Parent Lecture
Dr. Goodlad specializes in evaluating children to determine cognitive and intellectual abilities (IQ), academic achievement testing and learning differences, ADHD, and disruptive behavior disorders as well as empirically-supported evaluations for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) using “gold standard” measures. In addition to assessment James also enjoys helping children build skills and self-efficacy in behavior management, social skills, and social problem-solving. Dr. Goodlad received a B.S. in Psychology and History from Belmont University and a Ph. D. in Clinical Psychology from The University of Southern Mississippi.
We look forward to hearing from Dr. Goodlad and we encourage you to invite guests to join you for this fantastic Parent Education opportunity.
IMPORTANT Updates for Spring Musical
As you know, our School Musical is scheduled for the evening of Friday, May 5. In anticipation of this big event, we've made the following updates/changes to our regular schedule:
- Please send your child to school in full costume for a morning DRESS REHEARSAL
- Please also send a regular school outfit to change into after rehearsal.
- Send your child to school in regular school clothing. We will run through the performance but not in costume.
- We will have an EARLY DISMISSAL at 11am. Classrooms will be closing and our campus will not be open for sharing at this time.
- We encourage you to consider your child's needs. If you have toddlers or primary students who nap, we strongly recommend you keep their typical nap schedule, as it will be a long day and we want them to be happy and well-rested for the evening performance. If you have older children, this may be a good opportunity for them to spend quality time with their special guests who are visiting for the weekend.
- Performance call time for all students is 4:00 PM. Send your child in full costume with hair and makeup finished and with any other required props. Please plan to drop them off in the circle drive just like you do for morning drop-offs - our staff will be on hand to receive your child.
- After the performance, our campus will be open and your children may take their special guests to visit their classrooms.
We will send additional information about parking procedures, our family-style celebration dinner following the show, and other relevant items soon!
Calendar and Events
3/3 - Coffee with Kate
3/6-3/10 - Teacher Appreciation Week
3/20-3/24 - Spring Break: School Closed
3/31 - Dad's Poker Night at HTM - BYOB - please email Mike Riley to RSVP or for details
4/7 - Coffee with Kate
4/8 - Family Tree Planting and School Beautification Day
4/14 - Good Friday: School Closed
4/20 - Moms' Night at HTM
4/27 - Parent Lecture Series: "Helping Your Family Manage Screen Time" at 5:15pm in the Multi-Purpose Room
5/5 - Spring Celebration, Day 1: Early Dismissal at 11 AM / Child call time at 4:00 PM / Spring Musical Performance at 5:30 PM followed by family-style Celebration Dinner
5/6 - Spring Celebration, Day 2: Family Mud Run and Pancake Breakfast / Community-Wide Celebration / School Blessing, Games, Live Music, Food Trucks, and More
5/29 - Memorial Day: School Closed
5/31 - Last Day of School: Early Dismissal, School Picnic after Dismissal
In January 2017 we opened our beautiful new campus located in the serene hills of Nashville, Tennessee near the Natchez Trace.