Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Hello families! Below are important reminders and updates for the coming weeks. Thanks for reading!
Heartfelt Thanks and Shout Outs
Woot woot! Justin Carter and Amanda Chan both reached 2,000,000 words this week! I'm so proud of these readers!
My sincere thanks go out to Spencer Mott who received three Lord of the Rings books for his birthday and decided to donate them to our library because some friends might enjoy them more than he would. Wow! Our students are so generous.
Students may dress alike on Friday.
We will have a low-key celebration on Valentines Day. If students wish to bring in a treat to share with the class, they are welcome to do so. (Please remember that all treats must be nut-free.) We will exchange valentines during lunch recess before heading to the cafeteria for lunch. No need to write student names on the outside of envelopes. Just send your child with 29 valentines signed by your child.
Presidents Week Break
Just a reminder that there is no school during the week of February 17-21.
Classroom Volunteer Opportunity
I continue to look for volunteers to assist students during math instruction. The more the merrier! I have bolded the day that I don't have any volunteers. Having two volunteers would be optimal. Thanks for considering!
Mondays from 8:50 to 9:50 a.m.
Tuesdays from 8:50 to 9:50 a.m.
Wednesdays from 8:40 to 9:40 a.m.
Fridays from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m.
- We are heading into our next fractions unit next week. Students will work on converting improper fractions and mixed number fractions, comparing and ordering fractions and adding and subtracting mixed number fractions. Challenge group will be doing enrichment and extension of these concepts as well as addition and subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators. Please see your child's planner for assigned IXL strands to support what they are learning in class.
- We will be taking a week off of literature circles but will resume after the break. This week, we will instead be focusing on close reading activities of literature texts for the main idea and theme.
- Students will be working in groups to write and perform readers' theater scripts based on a scene of their choosing from their most recent literature circle selection. In addition to allowing students to demonstrate understanding of their literature circle books, this activity also helps reinforce the differences between prose and plays as well as supporting oral reading fluency.
- This week, students will work on Spelling City List #15.
- In grammar, students will differentiate between present, past and future tense verbs and apply them appropriately.
- Students will continue to work on Greek and Latin roots this week. They will have a quiz on the five new roots this Friday.
- We wrapped up chapter 4 in our Social Studies text and the test will be on Tuesday. In class, students worked with partners on a study guide to prepare for the test. We will also review in class on Monday. To best prepare for the test, students should review their Social Studies notes and the study guide provided.
Dates to Remember...
- February 17-27: Presidents' Week Break
- March 7: 2nd Trimester AR Points Goal Cut-Off
- March 14: Last Day of 2nd Trimester
- March 17: Guest Teacher Today. I will be attending the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development conference in Los Angeles on March 15-17, 2014.
- March 17-21: Early Dismissal week for 4th graders/Parent-Teacher Conferences this Week
- April 14-25: Spring Break