A Team Staff News
October 22, 2020
Message from the Superintendent
Click on the video link below for a message from Rick around our COVID data.
- October 22: Schools Closed - Inclement Weather
- October 23: No School PreK-12; Staff PreK-12 Professional Development Day
- October 26: Parent Contact 9-12
- November 3: General Election Day (No activities from 6-8 p.m.)
- November 6: End of 1st Quarter
- November 11: Veterans Day
- November 16-20: American Education Week
Emergency Notifications System Alexandria Public Schools utilizes a mass notification system, Blackboard Connect, to deliver emergency notifications such as early dismissals, delayed openings, school closings and other time sensitive emergency notifications. Typically, we would send a test to all staff to prepare for the possibility of a school closing due to inclement weather but mother nature beat us to the punch with today's winter storm.
If you did not receive a message this morning about schools being closed today, please contact your building site or department secretary (refer to the list below) to make sure your contact information is up-to-date and correct.
Alexandria Area High School - Sara Meyer 762-2142 ext. 4524
Carlos Elementary – Jennah Hawes, 852-7181 ext. 4900
Discovery Middle School – Lisa Knoll, 762-7900 ext. 4303
District Office/Community Education – Becky Hittle, 762-2141 ext. 4200
Early Education Center – Jen Lamb, 762-3305 ext. 4240
Garfield Elementary – Arlene Ludwig, 762-3350 ext. 4950
Lincoln Elementary – Sarah Craig, 762-3320 ext. 4800
Miltona Science Magnet – Laurie Lahman, 877-736-1419 ext. 4925
Transportation – Susie Schmidt, 762-3317 ext. 4975
Voyager Elementary – Mary Ronning, 762-3325 ext. 4703
Woodland Elementary – Tammy VanOrsdel, 762-3300 ext. 4127
- Welcome Adrianna Clarke to the Technology Services Team! Adrianna is coming to us from the Manor School District in Texas. She is excited to enjoy a little cooler weather and maybe even the snow.
- Pre-K - 5 teacher devices will be replaced by November 15th with updated Chromebooks. (Woodland, EEC, & Lincoln have been replaced already). It is important that when you get your new device, your current device and charger are turned in so they can be redistributed to other staff and students throughout the system.
- Google Cloud Print is going away. Some of you may have noticed a message when printing that your printer will be unsupported by December 31st. This notification is being sent by Google Cloud Print. The district is migrating to PaperCut mobility printing over the next few weeks to ensure printers will continue to function. There are a few caveats to papercut printing that we will share with you in an upcoming Tech Tips e-mail.
- Teachers - If you missed the e-mail/video from Lukas Gotto, Technology Integration Specialist, on how to add sites/apps, it is one video we'd like you to watch. The ClassLink Backpack is a very simple way for you to push apps to your students that are specific to your class/es.
- As snow/cold weather has arrived early - just a friendly reminder that we do not recommend leaving your Chromebook in your vehicle when it is cold. If it does happen, please make sure it warms up before you turn it on to avoid condensation and internal damages.
School Board Briefs - October 19, 2020 regular meeting
New A-Team Members
We welcome the following individuals to our A-Team staff:
- Collin Casperson, Custodian II, effective 11/5/2020
- Andrianna Clarke, Technology Support, effective 10/19/2020
- Tami Curry, Learning Resource Teacher, effective 9/8/2020
- Brandon Greeder, Compass Assistant, effective 10/12/2020
- Ashley Holland, SPED Paraprofessional, effective 10/7/2020
- Wesley Johnson, Compass Assistant, effective 10/12/2020
- Laura Meininger, Speech Language Pathology Assistant, effective 10/12/2020
- David Northington, Custodian IV, effective 10/19/2020
- Ashley Stevens, Compass Group Leader, effective 9/30/2020
- Matthew Thompson, Compass Assistant, effective 10/12/2020
- Payton West, Compass Assistant, effective 10/12/2020
Other Items from the October 19 Regular Board Meeting
- Trevor Peterson, Director of Business Services, provided an update on 2020-21 district enrollment numbers as of October 1, 2020. The October enrollment PDF linked below provides enrollment by grade.
- Michelle Bethke-Kaliher, Director of Business Services, provided an update on summer school programming; and an update on Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS). MTSS Board presentation linked below.
First Reading of District Policy Revision
- Policy 303 - Superintendent Selection
- Policy 405 - Veteran's Preference
- Policy 414 - Mandated Reporting of Child Neglect or Physical or Sexual Abuse
- Policy 415 - Mandated Reporting of Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults
- Policy 454 - Staff Development
- Policy 503 - Student Attendance Policy
The Board adopted the revisions to the policies and procedures listed below that received a first reading at the September school board meeting.
- Policy 522 - Title IX Sex Nondiscrimination Policy
October Points of Pride
- AAHS Head Custodian Mitch Kaeter completed 52 hours of MASMS Certification Curriculum to achieve the MASMS Facility Manager Certification through the Minnesota Educational Facilities Management Professionals Association. This certification provides a knowledge base for Buildings & Grounds Facility Leaders to provide safe and healthful educational facilities in the State of Minnesota.
- Two of our soccer coaches have been named Section 8A Assistant Coach of the Year.
Amy Korynta has received the honor for Girls Soccer and Cahil Collins for Boys Soccer.
- Senior Nolan Morical became the all-time leading rusher for the Alexandria Football Program when he ran for 222 yards on October 9, putting him a 2,450 yards thus far in his high school career.
Alexandria Public Schools
Our Vision is to be an extraordinary school district that tailors learning for each child, by working together!