Sartartia MS -- Exemplary Education Every Day -- 7.28.20
JAGS ARE ON THE MOVE!
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year at Sartartia Middle School! A couple of weeks ago, we sent out a “Summer Update” with a lot of useful information, but things have changed since then. I wanted to take a few minutes to go a little further in depth on some important information you need to know in order to prepare your child for success.
This year, our campus theme is “Individually Unique...Together Complete” and it is our 20th Anniversary. As we begin the 20th year in which SMS has served the community, know that we will plan some special activities to celebrate this milestone, so please stay tuned!
I hope that you have had a safe and restful summer break. I am beginning my 19th year in education, and as a school leader this will be my first experience beginning a new school year during a pandemic. My heart is torn. I miss our students and staff dearly, but I know our district and school board is making the right decisions to support the needs of our community. I want you to know that I understand all of your concerns, and I know some parents may have frustrations that are very valid. At the July 20th FBISD school board meeting, the healthcare advisory committee spoke to the board and gave much perspective to the purpose behind starting the school year with online learning. You may or may not know that all of FBISD’s board meetings are recorded and posted to the district website. I encourage you to listen to the conversation at the most recent meeting by clicking here. This may help to understand the “why” behind some of the decisions that the district is making for all stakeholders.
I have quite a bit to share with you, so I will try and be as succinct as possible. Unlike the previous nine weeks, this school year will not be an exercise in compliance. We are reimagining the whole educational experience in Fort Bend ISD, and our district leaders have been working overtime to be sure that administrators and teachers are prepared to launch an exceptional experience. As I have shared with my staff, the future of education requires us to be ready to shift at a moment’s notice and to be able to provide high quality education to our students when (and if) those shifts happen. A lot could still change from now until the first day of school. Please be assured that I believe communication is key, and I will update you when I get new information.
Have fun, be safe, and "see" you in a few weeks! Please do not hesitate to contact any administrator at any time should you have questions or concerns.
With Jag Pride,
Sartartia Middle School
Click here for the latest updates on Fort Bend ISD planning for the 2020-2021 school year
ACTION REQUIRED: Online Enrollment Verification Process due before Monday, August 3rd
Each fall, parents complete an online enrollment verification for each student attending FBISD schools. This year, due to the level of planning required to begin online learning, we will complete this process earlier than usual. Along with the usual verification forms, during this year’s process, parents will fill out a Back to School Readiness Form to indicate if they have needs associated with internet connectivity, childcare, and/or transportation. Online enrollment verification is directly related to the district's technology and device needs of our students.
We will attempt to help families resolve needs in several ways, including distribution of technology equipment or providing a limited number of students an opportunity to learn at one of the Learning Centers. It is important that our families understand that we will prioritize acceptance into the Learning Centers based on availability and responses. Please know that our first priorities will be to our staff, first responders, essential medical workers and active US Military, as we do anticipate that spaces may be limited.
We are currently attempting to build partnerships with local, private childcare providers to build their capacity to monitor instructional engagement of the FBISD students in their care. We will share more information on these partnerships as this work progresses.
Following the Wednesday, July 22 Checking in with Charles live event, the online enrollment verification process went live at 9 p.m., and will remain open until August 3. Parents received an email communication Wednesday night when the process opens, as well as, information on how to complete the necessary forms.
Click here to login into Skyward to complete your students' online verification process.
Parents, Click Here To Verify Existing Information in BlackBoard & Add Alternate Contact Information
- The first day of school will be Monday, August 17th.
- Student schedules will be available in Skyward on Thursday, August 13, 2020.
- We will start school 100% online for at least four weeks and until local health authorities advise it is safe for students and staff to congregate
- A staged implementation process will occur once we resume face-to-face classes
- Teachers will be working in a safe, no contact work environment for instructional delivery. As long as Fort Bend County remains on red alert for COVID-19, teachers and staff do have the ability to work remotely and teach from home if desired.
- To improve the online learning experience, we will have scheduled live instruction via video conferencing, daily scheduled asynchronous learning experiences, and streamline technology tools to support engagement.
- Progress monitoring and daily/consistent feedback with numerical grading
Instructional Delivery and Expectations
Synchronous vs. Asynchronous
I want to make sure you are aware of the difference between synchronous and asynchronous instruction:
- Online instruction weekly breakdown: synchronous instruction-67%, asynchronous instruction-16%, breaks/transitions-18%
- We will have standardized technology tools to support consistency
- Microsoft Teams for live instruction
- Schoology-our learning management system
- (new) Respondus Lockdown Browser-to facilitate integrity of assessments
- (new) ClassLink Student Portal-single sign on and data analytics
Special Education and 504 Service Delivery
- ARDs/amendments to the ARD/504 meetings will begin the week of July 27th
- Students with disabilities will receive instruction similar to their non-disabled peers
- Accommodations and modified/alternative curriculum, and/or related services will continue for students as determined by their ARD committees
- Students who receive in-class support, co-teach, and supplemental supports will continue to receive those supports in virtual environments per the ARD committee
- Parents, keep your eye out for more communication from the District SPED Department on how we will support the specific needs of our students for the upcoming year.
- The FBISD Special Education Department recently sent an informational video out with Frequently Asked Questions to all parents of students who receive Special Education services. You can access that video here.
Technology Device Distribution Information
Our Campus will have a technology lending library.
- SMS Lending Library Devices will be district owned equipment loaned to students from our campus.
- Lending Fees have been waived.
- The Lending Library will loan HP 360 Laptops will be provided for every student in need.
- We are also a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) campus, so student owned devices can be utilized for online learning (cell phones do not qualify as an acceptable device).
- Hotspots are available in limited quantities.
- Campus distribution information will come at a later date.
- The FBISD Technology Department recently posted answers to Frequently Asked Questions to help you know more about the plan for all students to have access to technology for the 2020-21 school year. You can access the FAQs here.
Immunizations For 2020-2021 School Year
For the 2020-2021 school year, please remember to comply with the Texas minimum vaccine requirements for school entry. Immunization requirements for the 2020-2021 school year are similar to the previous school year. The only change is that the two-dose hepatitis A vaccine requirement now applies to Kindergarten through 11th-grade students.
New Student Enrollment
NEW STUDENT ENROLLMENT AND REGISTRATION PROCESS 2020-21
To complete the online application, please go to https://www.fortbendisd.com/newstudent.
Scroll down to the middle/bottom of the page where it says, "Option 1: New Fort Bend ISD Family". Click on where it says, "Begin Here". You will be redirected to a page to create a new Skyward Family Access account. After you have successfully logged into Skyward Family Access, the application will open.
AFTER YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THE ONLINE APPLICATION:
Please contact Mrs. Hodson, our registrar, at (281) 634-6323 to make a virtual (online) appointment. You may also email Mrs. Hodson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student’s Birth Certificate
- Student’s Social Security card
- Withdrawal Form (if during the school year; not required during summer registration)
- Last Report Card stating “Promoted” or “Retained” (if during the summer)
- Official Immunization Record with child’s Date of Birth & Physician’s stamp or signature
- Proof of residence (Deed or Lease)
- 1 Current Utility Bill (electric, water or gas)
- Parent’s government photo ID which provides their Fort Bend address (TX Driver’s License/ID Card)
NOTE: The address listed for items 6, 7, and 8 must be the same, and must be the address on your government photo ID (drivers' license)
Blackboard Connect – FBISD’s mass notification system!
For detailed instructions and other resources on campus and district messaging system
Assistant Principals & Counselors
Paul Wells-Assistant Principal
Courtney Border-Assistant Principal
Dr. Sunday Johnson-Associate Principal
Rachel McCune-Lead Counselor
Another great resource for getting information about our campus is through our FBISD campus website and by following our school on Twitter. In addition, you can find important updates about FBISD Reimagined by clicking here.
Even amidst all of the changes, the SMS team is excited to get this school year underway. The entire staff believes that your children deserve a quality learning experience, whether on campus or at home. We have much to accomplish and major mountains to climb, but I know my fantastic staff and my awesome students… no one will do it better than Sartartia Middle School!
Click this button if you want to access Jag E-News for previous weeks. We have an archive of all of them on our campus webpage.