Computer Hardware Engineering
By: Danh Nguyen
Summary of Computer Hardware Engineering
- Computer hardware engineers research, design, develop, and test computer systems and components such as processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks, and routers.
Daily Task and Responsibilities:
- Design new computer hardware, creating blueprints of computer equipment to be built.
- Test new models of computer hardware
- Analyze the results and modify the design as needed.
- Update computer equipment so that it will work with new software.
- Maintain knowledge of of computer engineering trends and new technology
- A bachelor's degree is needed for entry-level computer hardware engineers. A degree in electrical engineering or computer science is acceptable.
- A familiarity in computer programming is expected because computer hardware engineers commonly work with computer software systems.
Preferred Job Skills:
- Analytical Skills- Computer hardware engineers analyze complex equipment to determine the best way to improve it.
- Creativity- Computer hardware engineers design new types of information technology devices.
- Critical-Thinking Skills- Engineers use logic and reasoning to clarify goals, examine assumptions, and identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions to problems.
- Problem-solving skills- Identify problems in computer hardware, develop and evaluate possible solutions, and figure out the best way to implement them.
- Speaking Skills- Often work with teams and must be able to communicate with other types of engineers as well as with nontechnical team members.
Job Outlook: 7%
Work Environment: Computer hardware engineering usually work in research laboratories that build and test various types of computer models.
I picked this quote because I felt like it's applying to me. In order to be successful in the technology world, I have to work hard to create new technologies that are beneficial to the world. This is me because I'm a hardworking person, and I want to take my ideas on something and make it real.
High School Preparation
- Coding and Computer Repair
- Career Internship
- Principles of Engineering
- Engineering club
- Computer Club
Work/ Volunteer Experience: TSI class
- Massachusetts Institution of Technology
- Stanford University
- Georgia Institution of technology
- University of California
I picked these colleges because they are the best colleges in the country with the best computer engineering programs.
- Computer Applications
- Computer Science
- Software Development
- Requires a Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree
- Work experience with computers are needed
- Programs such as system design and development, database management
Internship and Apprenticeship Opportunities:
Internship such as working for TSI allows students who wants to be a computer engineering gain experience working with computer.