Hope Valley School WEEKLY UPDATE
Friday, September 25, 2020
Calendar of Events
9/29 - Virtual Open House (see information below)
10/1 - Flu Shot Clinic (more information to come)10/5 - PTO Meeting at 6:30pm (Virtual)
10/5 - SIT Meeting at 4:00 pm (Virtual)
10/12 - Columbus Day - No School
10/19 - Virtual Learning for All - State Professional Development Day for all staff
10/19 - SIT Meeting (Virtual)
10/23 - Mid-Trimester Report Cards are Issued
PTO Meeting (Virtual) > 10/5/2020
Monday, Oct. 5th, 6:30pm
This is an online event.
Virtual Open House
Message from Mr. G
I want to take this moment to thank the entire staff and families for your patience and perseverance as we made it through the first two weeks of school. I am very pleased how well things have transpired. Although there may have been some minor bumps on the road, we are certainly moving in the right direction. I cannot thank our teachers and support staff for all their hard work. Words cannot express the gratitude I have for these teachers. The amount of hours, days, and weeks that these teachers have prepared should not go unnoticed. Please take some time to reflect and appreciate all of your teachers. They have been working so hard to make sure everything is running as smoothly as possible.
The students have been remarkable thus far both in-person and distance learning. Wearing masks and socially distancing does not seem to have phased our children. I love the way they just roll with the punches. Our distance learning students are doing a great job getting online and completing their work. Even with more robust expectations compared to the spring, I am grateful to the children and families for your cooperation and patience. The students and parents deserve a lot of credit for helping make this "very unusual " school year as normal as possible. Keep up the GREAT work.
Information for Families---PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- PLEASE BE SURE TO COMPLETE THE ATTESTATION SELF-CHECK EVERY MORNING BEFORE YOUR CHILD COMES TO SCHOOL. I KNOW IT IS A PAIN BUT WE MUST HAVE THIS FORM ON FILE PER THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH. HERE IS THE LINK AGAIN: https://ps.chariho.k12.ri.us/public/
- PLEASE BE SURE YOUR CHILD'S DEVICE IS COMING INTO SCHOOL CHARGED EACH AND EVERY DAY.
- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send back all required forms that were sent home on the first day of school. The emergency release form is the most important form that we need ASAP. This form needs to be updated and signed by parents.
- Some parents are requesting that their child transition to distance learning for a day when things are busy, such as when their child has medical appointments. Teachers will only be transitioning students when they 1) have possible Covid Symptoms, 2) are in covid related quarantine, or 3) have approval from the Principal. If your child is home with covid symptoms, it is your choice whether they participate from home. Keep in mind that we want them to feel better and they will have very limited items at home. Please communicate your decision with your child's teacher. If your child has a medical appointment, we ask that they still come to school and leave for their scheduled appointment. They are also encouraged to return to school after the appointment so they miss less instruction in the classroom.
- Some parents have inquired ABOUT our school picture day. This will be on November 5th this year. More information will follow as the date nears.
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle with them every day. Remember, the water bubblers are inactive, so it is important that students have water bottles.
- If your child has inexpensive headphones or ear buds, please have him/her bring them to school. Please do not have them bring in expensive ones in case they get misplaced or lost.
- As the weather gets cooler, please be sure to dress your child in layers. Please remember that windows will be open for fresh air. Also, PE will likely be outdoors unless inclement weather and teachers will continue to bring students outdoors. Lastly, buses will have windows open to circulate the air all year long. So, dressing appropriately will be important to keep your child comfortable.
- As a reminder, student masks must meet the CDC guidelines. It is a good idea if students have a back-up mask in their back pack just in case. The school will be issuing every student a lanyard next week, so masks can be attached it so there is no chance for an accidental drop on the floor, or worse---the toilet. :-) Thank you Mrs. Jennifer Clarke for your donation to the lanyards.
The CDC mask guidance states:
- Wear masks with two or more layers
- Wear the mask over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin
- Do NOT wear masks intended for healthcare workers, for example, N95 respirators
- The mask must fit snugly against the side of your face with no gaps
- The mask MAY NOT have exhalation valves or vents
- If you wear a face shield you must still wear a mask.
- CDC does not recommend the use of gaiters
Has your family gotten the flu shot? There will be a flu clinic held at Hope Valley School on Thursday, October 1st from 4:00-6:30 pm. All adults and children (3 and up) are welcome to attend the clinic and get vaccinated at no out-of-pocket cost.
Online registration is required at schoolflu.com.
Students will be the STAR assessment starting next week for grades 1-4. This is a quick screening assessment for both reading and math. The purpose of the STAR assessments is to provide information to teachers about student growth and achievement. Students take the assessment and it is scored automatically by the software. Teachers and administrators are able to view and print a number of reports at the individual, classroom, and grade level in order to monitor progress.
More parent information is available at https://www.renaissance.com/2016/09/09/parents-guide-star-assessments/.
Meet the New Nurse
Click the link below to meet our new school nurse. Nurse Tara's vast knowledge of nursing and calm demeanor is impeccable. She has quickly earned the trust and respect of the Hope Valley staff. Nurse Tara is a GREAT addition to the Hope Valley School Community. If families ever have any health related questions, please give her a buzz by calling the school at 539-2321.
The following drills (fire drill, lockdown, evacuation, shelter in place) will be practiced throughout the school year. These drills will be unannounced. There are a total of 15 drills we must conduct throughout the school year. This week we had a fire drill and an evacuation drill. I couldn't be more prouder of the way our children performed during these drills.
Peanut & Tree Nut Information
Video Tutorials of arrival & dismissal procedures
Dropping off your child in the morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbI45M400N0
Picking up your child at dismissal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsDuZ_FAwM
Bus Dismissal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isBqrCu2YoI (Warning: Be sure to avoid Locustville Road between 3:00-3:45 as it will be congested with buses)
Social Media Outlets
About Hope Valley Elementary School
The mission of the Hope Valley Elementary School is to work in partnership with our colleagues, students and families. We are committed to creating a learning environment where children are expected to achieve their full potential.