Dec. 4, 2022
December: A Time for Giving
'Santa Night' is this week. Santa will be here Tuesday, Dec. 6th from 5:00-7:00 pm CST. Your child can take pictures with Santa, watch a Christmas movie, bid on a Gift basket (silent auction), and enjoy cookies and milk while making a craft.
The week of Dec. 12-16 we will enjoy holiday dress up days. Here is the lineup:
- Dec. 12-Mon. Dress like a Christmas Holiday Character
- Dec. 13-Tues. Dress in Flannel
- Dec. 14-Wed. Dress in Christmas Colors
- Dec. 15-Thurs. Dress in Pajamas (see dress code)
- Dec. 16-Fri. Dress in a TACKY Christmas Sweater
The students will have their class holiday parties on Friday, Dec. 16th. You will receive information about this from your child's teachers.
Tuesday, Nov. 29th we announced South SSES's Teacher of the Year and Support Staff Person of the Year. The TOTY is Mrs. Elizabeth Mcadory and the Support SOTY is Malcolm Meriwether. They were honored by the staff and students that day. We are so proud of the work they do at South each day and we are thankful for them.
Thursday, Nov. 10th we had our first Veteran's Day Program to honor the veterans of students at South. We had such a great turn out and our guest speaker did an amazing job teaching our students about the different armed services.
We have a new teacher in Pre-K. Mrs. Spadafora's husband was relocated, and Mrs. Jenna Shelley has taken over the Pre-K classroom. Mrs. Shelley recently moved here from Texas. We are blessed to have her join our school family.
Congratulations, Ms. McAdory -TOTY 2022-2023
Congratulations, Mr. Meriwether - SSOTY 2022-2023
We sleep in peace because of YOU!
Reception after the program
Thanks for your service!
We love our Veterans!
We are glad you came!
You deserve to be honored!
You are important to us!
We value you!
The kids enjoyed having time with their loved ones.
Hope you enjoyed the reception!
To Our Parents:
• This holiday season, the best gift you can give your child is a good education. And the best place to get that education is in school. Every day. On time.
• Every year, absences spike in the weeks before and after winter break. It’s time to break that cycle.
• We know it’s tempting to extend your vacation by a few days on either side of the holiday.
• We recognize that holidays are an important time for reconnecting with families far away and exposing your children to your home and language, whether you grew up in another part of the United States or a different country. The costs of plane tickets often influence when you want to travel. But keep in mind the costs to your children’s education if they miss too much school.
• Just a few missed days here and there, even if they’re excused absences, can add up to too much lost learning time and put your child behind in school. This is as true in kindergarten as it is in high school.
• Please make sure your child is in school every day, right up until the Winter Break starts. Our teachers will be teaching, and our students will be learning. But it’s harder to teach and it’s harder to learn when too many students are absent.
• If missing school is unavoidable, talk to your children’s teachers in advance to create a plan for making up missed work. But remember, a homework packet cannot make up for the interaction and learning that goes on in the classroom.
• Give your child the gift of attendance and help build a habit of attendance.
December Menu - Breakfast & Lunch
SOUTH SMITHS STATION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
CALENDAR OF EVENTS 2022-2023
Santa Night---Dec. 6, 2022 5:00-7:00 pm CST
Dress Up Days---Dec. 12-16, 2022
End of 2nd Nine Weeks---December 16, 2022
Winter Break- No School---December 19- Jan. 2, 2023
Students Return---January 5, 2023
Report Cards - 2nd QTR---January 13, 2023
Dr. Martin Luther King Day- No School---January 16, 2023
Progress Reports---February 7, 2023
Professional Learning Day (No Students)---February 20, 2023
End of 3rd QTR---March 10, 2023
Report Cards - 3rd QTR---March 17, 2023
Spring Break---March 27-31, 2023
Schools Closed---April 7, 2023
Progress Reports---April 24, 2023
Field Day---May 12, 2023 (alternate days May 18, 19)
Awards Ceremony---May 23, 2023
6th Grade Award & Graduation---May 24, 2023
End of 4th Quarter---May 25, 2023
Report Cards - 4th QTR---May 25, 2023