Math Stuff #9
Highlighting some Math Ideas and Strategies
CONCEPTUAL FOCUSED TEACHING
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 4) - 3RD GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Continue addition /subtraction fact fluency- each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Circles & Stars lesson by Marilyn Burns (See eduphoria) for students who are comfortable with multiplication facts 1-6, create your own dice by writing on an inch cube #7-12
* Continue Graphing Activities incorporate two step questions- See STAAR April 2013 released test questions # 4,21,28,38.
INTERESTING SUBTRACTION PROBLEM
Using negative numbers and then subtracting by the place value, I thought was amazing.
We all have to remember that there are numbers to the left of the ZERO that we can use.
It might be confusing to show the older grades this type of subtraction, but the lower grades that haven't got into subtraction heavily might try it.
The 500 + 40 - 10 + 6 is not part of the problem.
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 4) - 4TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Multiplication Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Represent amounts of money in a variety of forms including expanded, decimal and fraction forms. See Eduphoria Lesson “Money as Fractions” Adapt as needed for your class
NEW VOCABULARY POSTERS
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 4)- 5TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Multiplication/Division Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Investigations Unit 6 Session 2.3 Strategies for Adding Decimals – (on SAB 49, require students to estimate prior to solving – will it be close to 0, half, one whole)
* Investigations Unit 6 Session 2.4 – Decimal Problems – during Decimal Compare game, students can use estimates