The Paw Print Parent Newsletter
Klein High School, August 2018 Back to School Edition
The Principal's Message
Dear Klein High Parents and Students,
Welcome back, Bearkats! We cannot wait to get the 2018-2019 school year started with you in just a few days. We are so very excited to see all of our students, and we extend a warm welcome to our incoming ninth graders and new students. We are thrilled that you are joining the Klein High family!
As Bearkats, we are guided by five core values that serve as the foundation for all that we do. Our core values are Empathy ★ Gratitude ★ Integrity ★Perseverance ★ and Service, also known as the #Klein5! To learn more about #Klein5, check out the Klein5 website that is designed and maintained by our Klein5 Student Ambassadors! This year we are expanding our Klein5 ambassador program to include parents and community members. Are you interested in becoming a parent/community Klein5 ambassador? Click here to submit your interest in our parent ambassador leadership team!
Our first day of school, August 20th, is just around the corner! It is normal to have many questions during this exciting time, and we are happy to help. The answers to many of your questions can be found on Klein ISD’s Back-to-School Information website. Here you will find the answer questions such as: What bus will my child ride? How do I load money onto my child’s lunch account? How do I update my students information?, and many more. If you cannot find the answer to your question there, please feel free to contact the school so we can help. Also remember that all Klein ISD families of returning students will need to complete the Annual Student Information Update by Friday, August 17 to ensure a smooth start and schedule pickup for your student on the first day of school!
We know this is a busy time for everyone, so we would like to make sure that you are aware of the following important dates:
Wednesday, August 8: Freshman/New Student Orientation- We are welcoming our new Bearkats with open arms from 9am-12:30 pm at Klein High School! New students will have the opportunity to learn about all things Klein High, tour the school, check out club & organization opportunities, and more. Although this is an event solely for students due to auditorium capacity, we invite our parents to an optional Q&A session in the cafeteria with our administrative team to answer any questions that you may have.
Thursday, August 9: Klein 2 College- Have questions about college? Wondering how you can begin preparing for college now? Join us at the Klein Multipurpose Center from 5:45-8:00 for Klein 2 College featuring informational sessions about testing, applications, financial aid and more! See the infographic below for further details.
Monday, August 20: The First Day of School- The first day of an awesome year! Schedule pass out will be located in the gym and will start at 6:45. Don’t know where the gym is? Don’t panic! Just follow the crowd or ask one of our staff members, and we will be happy to direct you. We will be available throughout the day to assist everyone with finding classes and navigating new schedules. Student pin numbers will be printed on student schedules for easy access to lunch accounts, and IDs will be made available to all new students both at new student orientation and throughout the first week.
Monday, September 3: Labor Day Holiday, No School
Tuesday, September 11: #Klein5 Community Night a.k.a. Open House - Our school will be open from 5:30 - 8:30 pm for you to meet the teachers and staff, learn more about clubs and organizations, hear some amazing musical performances, and much more! Information and schedules will be posted on our website soon. Make sure to plan on attending this fun-filled night and celebrate all of the things that make Klein High School great!
Monday, September 10 : School Picture Day- Informational flyer will come home with students soon.
Thursday, October 4: Homecoming Football Game vs. Conroe High School- Calling all alumni to help cheer on our Bearkats at Klein Memorial Stadium at 7:00 PM.
Don’t forget that you can always reference our website and links for important dates on all events throughout the year such as sports, activities, and the arts!
Please contact us at 832-484-4001 if you have any questions regarding any of this information. On behalf of the faculty and staff of Klein High School, welcome back! We look forward to seeing all of our Bearkats soon!
Jessica Haddox, Klein High School Principal
KLEIN HIGH SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION
- Mr. Johnnie Hayes: School Administration; 832-484-4102; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 122
- Mr. Brandon Baker: Curriculum & Instruction; 832-484-4103; email@example.com; Office 110
Assistant Principals (Serves Students w/the Last Names, Number, Email, Office)
- Ms. Jaren Bollinger: Campus Testing Coordinator; 832-484-4110; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 110
- Dr. Rene Malveaux: A-B; 832-484-4093; email@example.com; Office 250
- Mr. Blake Muskiet: C-E; 832-484-4101; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 350
- Ms. Renee Miller: F-Hi; 832-484-4025; email@example.com; Office 225
- Ms. Melanie Bujnoch: Hj-L; 832-484-4107; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 325
- Mr. Gary Brain: M-O; 832-484-4410; email@example.com; Office 627
- Ms. Alicia Eichhorn: P-Se; 832-484-4104; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 450
- Ms. Sarah Deckard: Sf-Sp;832-484-4106; email@example.com; Office 105
- Ms. Charlene Davis-Norris: Sq-Z; 832-484-4042; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 425
Annual Student Update Information
A. Cell phones:
- Cell phones are be permitted during passing periods, before & after school, and during lunches. As always, cell phones are prohibited in the classroom, unless approved by the teacher that day for learning purposes. Cell phones out in prohibited classroom areas will be confiscated.
- Hair must be clean and well-groomed. Various hair styles and colors (including natural and unnatural) may be permitted so long as they are not distracting/disturbing to the learning environment.
- Facial hair is allowed. It must be neatly groomed and styled in a way that is not distracting and may not reach a length greater than 1/2 inch.
- Jeans may have holes as long as the holes are below mid-thigh and/or not a distraction.
C. All Things Grading & Classes:
- Grading Periods are 9 weeks long. There will be a total of 4 grading periods.
- Pre-AP drops may only occur after Progress Reports are issued. The teacher, student, and parent must conference regarding drop; once conferenced, information will be sent to Mr. Baker for final approval.
- The Grading System will no longer include D's. 90-100 will be an A, 80-89 will be a B, 70-79 will be a C, 0-69 an F.
D. Exam Exemptions Requirements are now as follows:
- Have no more than 6 absences in the school year in the class for which an exemption is being requested.
- Have no more than 3 absences in a semester class (spring only, no exemptions in the fall) for which an exemption is being requested.
- Any student qualifying for an exemption must attend the class during the final exam in order to maintain the exemption unless the student has less than 6 (full-year) or 3 absences (spring only) as noted above.
- Have not been placed in ISS, DAEP, or suspended out of school in either the first or second semester.
- Have maintained a conduct grade of E, S, or N during both the first and second semesters in the class for which they are seeking an exemption.
- A student's laptop and textbook records for all subjects must be clear before any final exam exemption is awarded.
*Please contact your child's administrator if you have any questions regarding the student handbook. Handbooks will be avaliable online in the month of August.
KLEIN HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELORS
Counselors (Serves Students w/the Last Names, Number, Email, Office)
- Ms. Traci Hageland: A-Ard (Lead Counselor); 832-484-4021; email@example.com; Office 127
- Mr. Jose Cardenas: Are - Chamb; 832-484-4022; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 250
- Ms. Paula Georgiana: Champ - Fi; 832-484-4020; email@example.com; Office 127
- Ms. Gayla Zamora: Fl - Hern; 832-484-4095; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 425
- Ms. Sue Weatherton: Hero - I; 832-484-4023; email@example.com; Office 325
- Ms. Claudia Harmon: J - Mak; 832-484-4171; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 127
- Ms. Jennifer Lange: Mal - Nick; 832-484-4030; email@example.com; Office 250
- Ms. Meghan Studer: Nid - Rof; 832-484-4033; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 450
- Ms. Stephanie Renfrow: Rog - Sw; 832-484-4006; email@example.com; Office 350
- Ms. Melissa Parish: Sy - Z; 832-484-4032; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 425
- Ms. Dallas Bertasz: A-K; 832-484-4045; email@example.com; Office 127
- Ms. Dawn Kirk: L-Z; 832-484-4035; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 127
- Ms. Cassandra Clevenger: K-Ri; 832-484-4158; email@example.com; Office 124
- Ms. Gina Hawkins: D-J; 832-484-4155; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 124
- Ms. Katy Keener: A-C; 832-484-4162; email@example.com; Office 124
- Ms. Kimberly Lassinger: Rj-Z; 832-484-4161; firstname.lastname@example.org; Office 124
Ms. Judi Herold: 832-484-4123
Ms. Diana Case; 832-484-4036; email@example.com; Office 225
School starts at 7:25 AM and ends at 2:45 PM! Click here to access the bell schedule!
BEARKAT FINE ARTS
Dates/Info to Note:
The Klein Band and Color Guard are well into marching season and working hard! We are very excited about our 2018 fall field production entitled “Hope Unbound” and can’t wait to share it with you! Our first performance is during halftime at the Klein Varsity Football Game on Thursday, August 30. We hope to see you there!
- August 2, 10:00-10:45 am- Final Call for Production class auditions/tech interviews
- August 9, 10, 13-17 3:00-6:00 pm- Work Call (set build, lights, costumes, props)
- August 14, 4:00-5:30pm- Technical Interviews for Antigone design and crew team
- August 15, 5:00-5:45 pm- MANDATORY PRODUCTION PARENT MEETING – Blackbox
- August 15, 6:00 pm-8:00 pm- Auditions for Antigone by Sophocles adapted by Lewis Galantiere Location: Theatre All KHS students welcome to audition; Audition applications (submit by 11:59 pm Monday August 13)
- August 16, 6:00pm-8:00pm- Call Backs for Antigone Location: Theatre
- September Monday – Saturday Rehearsals & Work calls for Antigone
- September 25- Previews of Antigone for English classes
- September 27, 28, 29 & Oct 1- Antigone @7:00pm in the theatre Tickets on kleindrama.com
- September 28 & 29- TETA Convention College Auditions Dallas, TX
- Klein HS Orchestra Welcome Meeting: Friday, August 17th 6:30pm to 8:30pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- Back to School Bash: Saturday, September 29th 1:00pm to 3:00pm @ Klein High School
- KHS Orchestra Fall Concert: Tuesday, October 9th 6:30pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- Klein HS Cluster Fall Concert: Wednesday, October 10th 7:00pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- KHS Orchestra Winter Concert: Tuesday, December 4th 7:30pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- KHS Music Department Winter Concert: Thursday, December 6th 7:00pm @ KHS Performing Arts Center
- August 7- KISD District Choir Camp (1 pm-5 pm)
- August 23- Klein Choir Kickoff (5 pm-8 pm)
- September 15- District Choir Audition (all day)
- October 11- Fall Choir Concert (7 pm)
JUST A REMINDER...
Please assist us in the handling of custody related issues. It is the responsibility of the parents to provide the principal a certified copy of the court order affecting any other person’s right to their children.
Parent Contact Information:
Also, please notify your child’s principal, nurse, and the Registrar’s office during the school year if any changes are to be made to the registration/enrollment card that you fill out the first week of school. It is important to update addresses, phone numbers and any other pertinent information that would affect the school notifying you in the event of an emergency. Please ensure you have updated email addresses and telephone numbers on file with registrar as this allows the school to communicate with you in the event of an emergency. Should you have any questions, please call Ms. Haddox at 832-484-4099.