Bits & Bytes-Tech In Ten
Curated Tools and Resources for our K-12 Teachers and Staff
Tech Tricks and Treats
Not too scary Tech Stuff
It looks like the Indian Summer days are gone and we are settled into the Fall season. Many of us are 'scared' to take the plunge into the tech world .... but don't be afraid because we are here to help.
There have been some scary things going on with PowerTeacher and Gradebook lately so please click here to see a very important message from Tim McCleary.
Now read on to find some great website, apps, ideas and videos.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Use PicMonkey.com to edit images. No accounts are necessary and it can be done right within your browser. One of the drawbacks of using Google Apps is the inability to edit images. Open a new tab in your browser, edit your image and then pull it right into your Google Doc! We used PicMonkey to give our avatars the ghoulish new look.
- Try Flubaroo to make self grading quizzes in Google Apps. No paper involved! Grades move to a new tab in your form spreadsheet and from there you could paste grades right into Gradebook.
- Need to shorten your URL or create a QR Code? Go to goo.gl, paste in your URL to get the shortened web address. Click the details link and get your QR code.
- Want to find great SMART Board lessons using Notebook software? Try this custom Google search tool here. This search window is optimized to find Notebook files on the web.
- Unblock YouTube before trying to watch the videos in this flyer. Open another tab in your browser and go to YouTube.com and then follow the unblocking instructions here.
Check out Untamed Science. A group of young scientists and filmmakers have come together to make science fun for the next generation. These videos are spectacular. Remember to unblock YouTube in order to watch the videos from within the district.
What's On Our iPad?
This year, Myers Elementary will be getting 2 iPad carts for general classroom use. We have been busy getting those ready and wanted to share some amazing apps that we will be installing and teaching the classrooms how to use.
- Flowboard - present your life, work, and stories, a new way to share everything.
- Stage - turn your iPad into a document camera, great for science experiments.
- Quickoffice - now a free app, owned by Google and lets you view and edit MS Office files.
How To Contact Us
We are available to come to your school or classroom.
Visit our technology website, Bits & Bytes.
We'd love to hear how you are using technology in your classroom.