El Sol Parent Bulletin
El Sol Elementary
Office Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Visitors: Please call ahead to make an appointment
¡Se puede traducir este boletín!
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year!
Greetings, El Sol Families:
This year has gotten off to a great start! Thank you for working with the El Sol staff to make sure everyone has a positive first week back. Students are settling in and learning routines, expectations, and procedures. We are excited to have a return to normalcy after the pandemic conditions last year. Below you will find a lot of information regarding the new platforms and initiatives we are starting this year, helpful tips, information about support services, and updates from Dr. Rita Raichouduri, KPS superintendent.
El Sol Principal
Bus and Car Rider Safety Reminders
- THERE IS NO SUPERVISION OUTSIDE BEFORE 8:30 AM. Please do not send kids to the blacktop until 8:30.
- Car rider dismissal starts at 3:45. If you show up early, be prepared to wait.
- Please enter from the Pearl/Dutton St. entrance and turn right to go around the outer perimeter of the parking lot.
- Do not cut through the middle of the parking lot to get in the car line.
- If you are asked to pull out of the line and park, please do so to avoid delays.
- The speed limit is 5 mph. Do not swerve around other vehicles or speed in the parking lot. Think about how you would want someone to behave if your child was walking through the parking lot.
- Please make sure you know your morning and afternoon buses and times.
- Families can have up to 2 buses for a child. For example, if you need your child to go to a different place on different days, you can request an alternate bus.
- If you need to request a different bus for whatever reason, it takes 24-48 hours for that change to go through. We cannot make same-day bus changes.
- We cannot send children home on the bus with a friend, relative, or other bus that is not their assigned bus.
- ALWAYS call the office if there is a change in your child's dismissal plan. Contacting the teacher does not guarantee the office will be notified.
- Please call by 3:15pm if you have a change.
It takes ALL families following these expectations in order to ensure student safety. Please be patient. All staff work hard to get every student to the right place safely.
NO SCHOOL ON FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND OR MONDAY SEPTEMBER 5TH
Picture day is coming!
Wednesday, Sep. 21st, 9am
604 West Vine Street
Wednesday, Sep. 14th, 5:45-6:45pm
This is an online event.
Join the El Sol PTO Parent Page on Facebook
Sign up for the school directory (optional)
Announcements and Updates
New Chromebooks for students!
5th Grade Backpack Devices:
All 5th grade students will receive a new-in-box Chromebook and carrying case. This Chromebook will go back and forth between school and home everyday.
4th Grade Take Home Devices:
4th grade students will receive a new-in-box Chromebook.
We are still waiting for these Chromebooks to be delivered to us but are expecting them by the first week of September.
3rd Grade Take Home Devices:
Receive a Chromebook to take home
3rd grade Chromebooks are being taken from the KPS stock of returned Chromebooks.
1st-2nd Grade Take Home Devices:
Receive a Chromebook to take home.
This will stay at home until the end of the school year or they leave the district.
For more information, please click on this link to the KPS Chrome Book Procedures.
El Sol Breakfast & Lunch Menus and Tips
We will also send a paper copy home each month with the menus.
Tips for students who bring their own lunch:
- Write or label your child's name on their lunch box/thermos.
- Teach your child how to open containers such as bento boxes, lunchables, foil cups, etc.
- Teach your child how to store containers back in their lunch box.
- We do not warm up food for students at lunch time.
**Please note:** Due to nationwide supply and demand issues, the food menu may be adjusted (without notice) according to what is available.
El Sol Visitor Procedures
- All visitors must come to the front entrance of El Sol on Oak Street to sign in and obtain a visitor's pass
- Parents who would like to visit with a staff member must make an appointment
- Starting in Trimester 2, visitors will check in at an electronic kiosk and scan their ID to obtain a visitor's pass. More information will be given at a later date.
Download the KPS App!
Communities in Schools at El Sol
Welcome back El Sol families!
My name is Perla Medina Cano, Site Coordinator with Communities In Schools here at El
Sol Elementary. This will be my third year joining the El Sol team, and I look forward to continuing to build Communities In Schools relationship with El Sol Elementary. Our CIS team consists of myself, and Ms. Maria Whitmore, our After School Coordinator. We work with
school staff to support students striving for academic success.
We are excited to welcome you back and start working with our students! Take a moment to check out some of the services we
can provide for students below.
What can CIS do for your student?
Tier I Supports Building Wide
● Vision Assistance
● Mental Health Services
● After School Program
● Food Assistance
● School Supplies
● Hygiene Products
Tier II & Tier III Services
● 1 on 1 tutoring
● Goal Setting
● Progress Monitoring
● Behavior Intervention
● Attendance Monitoring
If you have any questions about the services available for your student, or about
Communities In Schools of Kalamazoo, please feel free to contact the CIS Site Team at
Perla Medina Cano & Maria Whitmore
CIS Site Coordinator / After School Coordinator
El Sol Elementary
First Day Shoe Giveaway
Did you know that all students at El Sol have an opportunity to receive a FREE pair of shoes?
- Families can order the shoes they need by going online to www.firstdayshoefund.org/order OR by filling in the paper order form (if your school sent those home this week).
- Students will receive their shoes between September 26th - October 7th
- Ordering will close on 9/9/2022.
- Shoes are provided at no cost to families.