Hazardous Spill Technicians
Salary Range $27,900 - $45,300
Tasks and Duties
- Maintain readiness of equipment for emergency deployment.
- Conduct initial environmental incident site survey and make appropriate notifications to government agencies, law enforcement, and subordinate personnel.
- Discern applicable government regulations to the environmental threat.
- Maintain up-to-date documentation on equipment maintenance.
- Safely operate abatement and safety equipment within approved limits.
- Identify pollution sources, develop and institute a containment plan. Monitor plan effectiveness and make adjustments as necessary.
- Remove pollutant material applying all known precautions as well as transport and storage regulations.
- Monitor extent of impacted wildlife. Make appropriate governmental notifications.
- Set up site safety zones and publish safety precautions appropriate for each zone. Monitor equipment and personnel movements between zones.
- Set up decontamination stations.
- Conduct on-going test as site remediation progresses.
- Document all aspects of response activities including initial survey, response plan, site safety zones, abatement plan, and environmental impact.
Number of environmental science and protection technicians, including health employed in 2006: 36,000
Projected Number of environmental science and protection technicians, including health that will be employed in 2016: 43,560
The numbers of positions for environmental science and protection technicians, including health is expected to increase by 21% between 2006 and 2016.
Education distribution: Percentage of environmental science and protection technicians, including health* with...
college degrees: 46%
some college: 35%
high school diploma or less: 19%**
Work environments for hazmat removal workers vary with the material they are handling. Some must wear protective suits for several hours at a time. Completing projects often requires night and weekend work. Overtime is common, particularly for emergency or disaster response workers.
Hours Per Week
Interests or Personality
- A positive can do attitude
- Must be able to finish things they start
"Welcome to OceanCareers.com" Home. NationalScience Foundation. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.
"SWS Environmental Services Is an Environmental Services Contractor That Has Been Providing Emergency Spill Response, Environmental Remediation, Hazardous Waste Disposal, and Industrial Cleaning Services for the past 30 Years." SWS Environmental Services. SWS Environmental Services. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.