As we head into the holiday season, conclude parent-teacher conferences and enjoy some time with family and friends I want to thank everyone for the support and encouragement as we’ve concluded the first quarter of school. This year has reminded me of the importance of school and the education we provide children. Those students are the reason we, the teachers and staff, do what we do and enjoy our profession. It is easy in the year 2020 to be stressed and anxious of the many on-goings around us. I want to take to time to be thankful for school still being in session, time with family, opportunities to educate children, extended warm weather and the support of our community. When I consider these, I realize perspective is everything and a perspective of gratitude helps change our outlook and allows us to appreciate all the goodness around us. Thank you and have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Holiday Season!
Nathanial Artz, Principal
News from the Nurse
How to talk to your child about wearing a facemask: It is important to talk to your child about proper ways to wear and use their mask. You should tell them to:
- Avoid touching their mask
- Wear their mask over their nose and mouth
- Take their mask off using the earpieces, not the cloth part of the mask
- Never trade masks with another person
"You can empower your children to wear a mask by telling them they are playing their role in stopping the pandemic," Dr. Kahn says. Sending a water bottle with your child’s name on it encourages fluid consumption.
Future 3rd graders: If you have a future 3rd grade student you will receive the mandated dental examination forms coming home in December. You may return both forms to the Cornwall Nurse, or if exam is completed over the summer, you may return it prior to October 1st.
EXTRA CLOTHING: The nurse's office is in need of sweat pants in sizes 4X-6X for students who may be in need of a change of pants during the school day. If your child has outgrown sweat pants, please consider donating them to the nurse's office.
Susan Robins, Certified School Nurse
Attention Parents and Students
The Holiday Shop is almost here! December 1-7
Students should bring their “To/From” labels and the envelope with their name at the top
along with their completed shopping list and money inside on their scheduled day.
Checks should be made payable to: Cornwall Elementary PTO
Virtual students will have their own shopping day on Saturday, December 5. To shop that day, sign up at the link below.
Volunteers are needed as elves! Share in the excitement of the Holiday Shop
and help students find gifts within their budgets.
To sign up, go to: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d48a8aa22a3fa7-holiday1
Bring the JOY of Christmas to those Less Fortunate
Once again, Cornwall Elementary will be collecting toys for the local Toys for Tots Program.
The mission of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys each year and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community. Boxes have been placed in the lobby for your donations until December 14th.
Let's spread the JOY!!
Inclement Weather Procedures & Skylert Notification System:
Remember, the Skylert notification system is only as accurate as the information you have provided to the District. Be sure your phone and email settings allow (does not Block) these three numbers: (717) 272-2031, (717) 272-2036, and (717) 389-1810, and emails from addresses ending in @clsd.k12.pa.us. Please review your information in Skylert, as well, and make any updates (for general information sharing, including school closings):
1. Login to your Skyward account.
2. Click the word “Skylert” in the left menu.
3. Fill-in and check or uncheck your desired settings.
4. Click “SAVE” in the upper right side of the page when you are done.
NEWS from the District
1) CHANGES to this year’s Holiday Breakfast Event for CLSD Residents age 65+: Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, there will be no in-person Holiday Breakfast Concert program in 2020. Instead, Cornwall-Lebanon School District residents age 65+ are invited to drive by the rear of Cedar Crest Middle School to pick up a Holiday Breakfast Treat Gift Box* Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2020, 9:00-10:00 a.m. (Note: This is a time change from the printed CLSD calendar.) Since No Tickets are required this year, there will be NO ticket pick-up event on Dec. 3. CLSD residents are asked to present their CLSD Gold Card at the Dec. 15 event to receive their Holiday Treat Gift Box. CLSD residents age 65+ who do not have a Gold Card are asked to stop by the District office (105 E. Evergreen Rd.) and present a valid driver’s license to sign up for a Gold Card. Questions? Contact Amy Wissinger, (717) 272-2031. *Holiday Breakfast Treat Boxes are available to the first 300 CLSD Gold Card residents attending.
2) District Calendar Changes: Due to COVID-19, many music and athletic events that usually are open to the public are either cancelled or being held virtually. Please always confirm an event listed on the printed CLSD 2020-2021 Calendar is taking place by checking the calendar items listed on the District website: www.clsd.k12.pa.us or contacting the District office: (717) 272-2031.
3) Online Community Bulletin Board: Check the online Community Bulletin Board regularly for information about upcoming events, activities and fundraisers throughout the CLSD community (Click on the “COMMUNITY” tab on the District website: www.clsd.k12.pa.us, or Look under the “SERVICES” tab on any CLSD school page.) Currently, you can find out about sports activities for the participant and spectator … Scouting opportunities … Student club Fundraisers ... community events & activities ... and many more items of possible interest!
4) The next meeting of the CLSD Board of School Directors is Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2019, at 5:30 p.m., in the large group instruction room (LGI) at the high school. This is the annual reorganization meeting of the Board. There is no work session scheduled in December. In order to prepare seating arrangements in accordance with Governor Wolf’s social distancing guidelines, District residents who would like to attend the Dec. 7 meeting must register by 3 PM, Friday, Dec. 4, 2020, via the link on the CLSD website.
5) Cornwall-Lebanon School District will be closed for Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 24, 2020, through and including Friday, Jan. 1, 2021.
6) Support United Way to connect your child with a call from Santa! While children may still be able to visit Santa this year to give him their Christmas wish list, it likely won’t be the traditional sit on his lap for a photo or breakfast experience. Sign up for a time during the scheduled days, and Santa will call your child. You can provide United Way with details to share with Santa about how your child was naughty or nice for an even more personalized experience. When: December 8, 10, 14, 16, 6-8 p.m. Santa United calls are $10 each for an approximately five-minute phone call. Proceeds from the fundraiser will be put back into programs in Lebanon County that support our local children and youth. To schedule a call: https://app.mobilecause.com/form/yMmixQ?vid=ehdvi