Holmes Elementary School - Week Ending - 4/19/19
Opportunity - The University of Illinois is offering this opportunity for parents. Bold Conversations: SEL and Parenting is a one-day social and emotional learning chat and chew style seminar designed to bring parents together to exchange ideas on how we can help our children address the challenges they may face. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Town Hall Meetings - we are excited to share that we had our first round of Town Hall meetings with our students at Holmes last week. Entire grade levels came together to look at our school-wide behavior data and discuss how students and adults in the school can work together to improve it!
PBIS website- Please remember that you can find all of our Second Step (Social Emotional Curriculum) home links on our school website. Click on this link to access the Holmes School website and enjoy extending your student's Social Emotional growth!
Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee Meeting
District 97 Adventure Run
The Physical Education Department will be hosting a District 97 Adventure Run on Saturday, May 4th at Lindberg Park. The Adventure Run is free of charge and open to all Kindergarten through 5th-grade students in District 97. This is a culminating event to celebrate National Physical Fitness and Sports Week. If your child wants to participate, please fill out the following form.
Yearbook Deadline Extended to April 23rd
If you know that you will not be returning to Holmes for the 2019-2020 school year, please notify your child's teacher.
KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION - (STUDENTS ENTERING KINDERGARTEN)
- April 30 - 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
RETURNING STUDENTS - ONLINE ONLY
- May 6-27
Celebrate Holmes Staff
Families, have you noticed a Holmes teacher or staff member who deserves a compliment or a thank you? Has this person made a difference for your child? Please share the reason in a brief email to me (email@example.com) so that we may recognize and thank them!
IMPORTANT DATES/THINGS TO REMEMBER
- S.T.E.A.M Night, April 25 at 6:00-8pm (TIME CORRECTED)
- Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee Meeting, April 27 2:30-4:30 @ OP Library
- Popsicles in the Park, April 26, May 10 and May 24 at 3:00 (weather permitting)
- Kindergarten Open House - May 1 - 3:00-4:00 (for incoming kindergarten students)
- Kindergarten Meet-n-Greet with Popsicles in the Park - May 1 - following the open house
- Multicultural Parade, May 4 10:00am @ Julian MS
- Staff Appreciation Week - May 6 to May 10
- Volunteer Appreciation Night and Community PTO Meeting, May 15 from 6:00-8:30
- HAMBingo - May 21 - 7:00
- Memorial Day - No School - May 27
- Book Swap - June 3
- Kindergarten Tribute to Excellence - June 4 - 8:30am
- 5th Grade Completion Ceremony - June 5 - 8:15am
- Olympic Day - June 6
- Last Day of School - June 6
- Report cards sent home - June 6
Community Hawk Nest
You would be joining a Holmes student tour guide and answering questions with a small group of incoming Kindergarten parents. Your past experience and insight are greatly appreciated by those who are new to the school system.
Holmes PTO - Support our H.A.W.K.S. - Fundraising Updates
Where does the money go? Did you know that just in the last month, the PTO recruited over 75 volunteers to run the Pancake Breakfast, Book Fair, two workshops, and Junior Achievement? We also recently revised EDGE –our afterschool enrichment program for kids- with new classes, new sign-up system, and additional scholarships so that all kids who want to attend EDGE classes can participate. In order to continue these community events & support EDGE, we need your help!!!
Here’s three easy ways you can help right now.
1. Direct Drive. Please consider a donation through this year’s Direct Drive. Support our HAWKS at H (Heart), $1,000; A (Appreciation), $500; W (Warmth) $250; K (Kindness), $100; or S (Smile) $50 (or any other amount that is comfortable for you).
Ways to Donate to Direct Drive: Please return a check to school made out to the Holmes PTO (put Direct Drive in memo line of your check) or Donate online at https://tinyurl.com/yat8h48l
2. Missed our Book Fair? Never Fear! Holmes families: You can still buy books online! We still have time to order books online to reach our goal. For every $1 you spend, $1 is going straight back to Holmes to support our community.
Go to www.abcfairs.com
Click (SHOP NOW).
Click on any category
Once you Checkout, make sure to enter Holmes School, and Oak Park as your school/city so that Holmes gets the credit
3. GIFTCARDS shopping - Holmes PTO has partnered with ShopWithScrip. Please utilize ShopWithScrip for your everyday shopping and gift card needs.
How Scrip Works
By paying for your everyday purchases with gift cards, also known as scrip, you’ll earn money for Holmes. Simply use Script Giftcards for your everyday Groceries, gas, dining out, home improvement projects, clothing and travel needs. How? Every gift card has a rebate percentage on it, normally between 2% and 16%. That rebate goes directly to OUR SCHOOL.
Family Registration notes;
1) Log on to https://www.ShopWithScrip.com/
2) Click "Join a Program" Blue Button
3) Enter Holmes PTO Enrollment Code 6BL378C861333
4) Sign up for PRESTO PAY. We can not accept check payment.
5) Shop Away - Use gift card (at its full value) on your everyday shopping.
6) Questions? Scrip customer service is incredible; call 1.800.727.4715
Gift Card Delivery Notes
E-Cards delivered immediately to your email.Physical gift card orders placed the 1st Tuesday of each month and delivered to Holmes and then sent home in your child’s backpack.
Community resources and opportunities
SUMMER ENRICHMENT AT MANN SCHOOL: Mann Power Summer Session! Summer Bump Up. After conversations with other PTO presidents, we, the Mann PTO presidents Dot Roche and Aimée Eubanks Davis, decided with our community to open this program to students in other D97 schools. This summer program will offer advanced math and reading for students whose MAP test scores typically are between the 80th – 95th percentiles, and who with additional, small group instruction, may accelerate their command of challenging math and/or reading concepts. We are mirroring this after Julian's summer bump up in math.
Students who register must be driven personally and excited about this opportunity to grow and realize their full potential within. Homework is expected and at the end there will be an assessment to see how much of the content has been mastered. The advanced math and reading courses will run for three weeks from June 10 to June 24, Monday through Friday at Mann School. The cost will be $360.00 per course for all three weeks. Students who are doing both the morning and afternoon courses may stay for a supervised lunch, at no extra charge.
Math: 9:00 – 11:30 AM (Pick up at 11:30 AM, if student is not attending the afternoon
Lunch and Recess Break: 11:30 AM – 12:25 PM (Please bring a peanut-free lunch and
Reading: 12:30 – 3:00 PM (Drop off at 12:25 PM, if student is not attending the
To enroll, create an account and sign up here via Class Track. When you see Instructor click on your D97 school (e.g., Holmes, Irving, Lincoln, etc.). If you need support, email Mann Power (MANN.POWER@LIVE.COM). We look forward to our children learning alongside and forming friendships with other students in D97!