BAMS Staff Newsletter
December 14, 2014 - Volume 2, Issue 14
It's a Great Day to Be Great!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2015, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing sample rubric score from the September 2014 writing benchmark based on the school developed writing rubric (adapted from the Smarter Balanced writing rubric).
DPI School of Recognition
PBIS School of Merit
Routinely Take Literacy Risks
Be a CEO
Driving Question for 2014-2015:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare our students for the Badger Exam assessment (and other higher level thinking opportunities)?
Goals for SSR and SSW
- Provide a time for every student in our building to read and write.
- Ensure this time is a positive part of our students' day.
News and Notes
- Teacher Effectiveness Training at CESA - The training I attended at CESA was very helpful. This training was a re-calibration for administrators for our evaluation system. We have had many discussions as an admin team about the importance of being as consistent as possible with evaluations across our district.
- Access Testing - Thank you to everyone for your flexibility with our ACCESS testing. Damaris, great job organizing everything and administering the test! Several sections are completed for our students, and other sections will be completed in January.
- Damaris will be out of the building for the rest of 2014. She will return on January 5th. She will be checking email periodically if you need something from her. If there is an immediate need, please come speak with me.
- A Spanish District-wide School Calendar is now available on the website. It is located under the "Calendars" link with the other calendars. I just want you to be aware that this resource is now available. We are continuing to work to translate other documents into Spanish for our website.
- It's extremely important that we use these last days before Winter Break to achieve great things in our classrooms. Every day is an important one! Please continue to promote hard work and purposefulness with your classes in these final days. Thank you!
- If you are looking for something to do Wednesday Night, please consider coming to the BAMS Band Concert. What a great way to show support for our students!
- Don't forget to contact parent with any academic or behavior concerns you have. Our families are very thankful to have information about their child and their child's progress. A phone call home is always appreciated.
- I had 2 staff members submit requests for attendance at a professional development conference. This reminded me to review this process with all of you. If there is a conference you wish to attend, please start by filling out the district form for this request (located on the website-I can show you if you aren't sure what form this is). Our PD funds are pooled for the district, so after a request is made we discuss these at the Admin Team meetings. After that meeting, you will be noticed if it has been approved or not. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Out of the Office
- December 15th - 1:45-2:35pm - Honor's Study Hall
- December 16th - 9-11am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- December 18th - 1:45-2:35pm - Geography Bee - DMR
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
- I have been hearing from our students that "no one" hands out BAMS Bucks. I know this is not the case, but please reflect on your practice and look for opportunities to acknowledge students exhibiting positive behaviors.
- Have you written a GREAT form for a student or staff member this month? If not, how come?
- The Oriole Way Team has been working very hard to get plans set up for the 22nd and 23rd. Expect more information about these days to be coming out soon. You can also talk to a Oriole Way Team member for more information.
- NEXT Meeting - January 7th, 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
Dates to Remember
- December 17th - Winter Band Concert, 6:30pm
- December 18th - Oriole Leaders Meeting, 10:40-11:40am
- December 18th - School Geography Bee, 1:45-2:35pm, DMR
- December 22nd - Elf Day, presented by Oriole Leaders
- December 22nd - Day of Service, presented by Oriole Way Team
- December 22nd - School Board Meeting, 7pm
- December 23rd - Day of Celebration, presented by Oriole Way Team
- December 23rd - Ugly Sweater Day, presented by Oriole Leaders
*See Google Doc titled "2014-2015 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.
Staff Meeting Agenda
Staff Meeting: January 9 - 12:45-1:15pm - DMR
Next Meeting: January 23rd - 2:50-3:30pm - DMR
Blackboard Connect Messages
Messages sent this week:
*New messaging system (ParentLink) tentatively coming in December.