Vocab Presentation 6
This is here so you can't see the word yet :)
1) An artifice, device, or evasion to hide or avoid something, or to escape an outcome.
2) Deceit used in order to achieve one's goal
Related to the Word
SUB <L. "under"
fugere<L "to flee"
*Flee from the vision or knowledge of something/someone
Originated in Latin as SubterfugiumThe prefix "sub" comes from Latin, but as English came out of Latin many words with "sub" in it became "sur". The pronunciation changed, so that led to a spelling change.
1) The CIA agent was skilled in the art of subterfuge.
2) Disney characters use masks as a subterfuge to convince little kids that they are the real character, and not an actor.
3) Hannah Montana was Miley Ray Stuart's subterfuge so she could still live the best of both worlds.
4) The Judge thanked the witness for giving honest and reliable subterfuge when they testified under oath.