Week of May 3, 2021
DALTON MIDDLE SCHOOL
Educate. Challenge. Inspire.
World-class learning that prepares students for success in college, careers and civic life
Teacher Appreciation Week
The PTO is also recognizing our teachers this week by hosting an awesome lunch from Buckin" Burrito! Thank you to all the parents who work hard to ensure we have a strong PTO to support our staff and students.
Also a special shoutout to S'good Catering. If you haven't tried them yet you are missing out! They gave us a great teacher appreciation deal on amazing gourmet cupcakes for our entire staff!
Let's spoil our teachers this week. They deserve it!
Milestones Testing Continues this Week
DMS students are taking the Georgia Milestones
I spoke with a few students last week who shared they were stressed about taking the Milestones. Regardless of the circumstances, each year many of our students start feeling anxious about taking a state assessment. Here are a few tips to help your student start the day ready and reminders to ensure a lower-stress testing experience:
- Get a good night’s sleep before each testing day. Try to avoid late sports practices or games, late-night TV, and late-night electronics. When students are rested, they are able to concentrate and do their best on the test.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast each morning before testing. Food is the fuel that powers the body and the brain.
- Be in school each day and on time. Schedule any doctor or dentist appointments in the late afternoon during the day of testing. Test results may be invalidated for students who are dismissed from testing sessions before testing is complete.
- Leave non-issued school electronic devices at home. Cell phones, smartphones, smartwatches, tablets, or other electronic devices are NOT allowed in testing rooms.
- Returning virtual students will report to homeroom. Arrive by 8:15, so that your homeroom teacher can confirm that your school issued device (laptop) is up-to-date.
Spring Play--The Neverending Story
Tickets for the
email@example.com - for reservations and further information.
Under a Starry Night
We are so excited to be offering a semi-formal dance this year; Under a Starry Night. It will be held May 14 from 6-9pm at the Creative Arts Guild. Ticket sales ($10) continue 5/3, 5/4 to 7th and 8th graders.
One important note: School dress code still applies. Homeroom teachers will be revisiting the dress code with students. If any of our students have a question about their choice of attire, they can take a picture (of the front and back if it is a dress) and email it to either Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Lawson, or Ms. Alexander. The email addresses are as follows:
Looking for something for your child to do this summer??
Sports This Week
Football Spring Practice for 6-8th grades begins this week! Expect communication via Team App for all information!
Thur., May 6th
DMS Track End of Season Celebration, Main Gym, after school until 5:30 PM
Spring and End of Year Events Calendar
May 4th- DMS Spring Band Concert (7th & 8th), Main Gym @ 6 PM
May 4th-14th- Football Spring Practice
May 7th- DMS Theatre Arts presents "The Neverending Story", HCMS Theatre @ 7 PM
May 8th- DMS Theatre Arts presents "The Neverending Story", HCMS Theatre @ 7 PM
May 9th- DMS Theatre Arts presents "The Neverending Story", HCMS Theatre @ 2 PM
May 11th- DMS Mariachi Concert, Quad @ 6 PM
May 13th- DMS 6th Grade Band Concert, Main Gym @ 6 PM
May 14th- DMS Semi-Formal Dance: "Under a Starry Night", (7th & 8th Only), Creative Arts Guild, 6 PM - 9 PM (Tickets Required)
May 15th- Football Spring Scrimmage (see coach for times--Harmon Field)
May 17th-21st- Volleyball Tryouts, Aux Gym
May 18th- 8th Grade Honors' Night, Main Gym @ 6:30 PM