Seven Hills Elementary News
A Home-School Connection
May 8, 2018
Teacher Appreciation Week This Week:
1st Grade Mother's Day Tea is Friday, May 11:
3rd, 4th & 5th Grade Students Take STAAR Tests Next Week:
- Monday, May 14: 3rd and 4th Grade Math STAAR, 5th Grade Math Re-Test
- Tuesday, May 15: 3rd and 4th Grade Reading STAAR, 5th Grade Reading Re-Test
- Wednesday, May 16: 5th Grade Science STAAR
Information and Reminders About STAAR Testing:
- If you have specific questions regarding the assessment your child will take, please contact your child's homeroom teacher.
- Please do not schedule any doctor appointments for students in testing grade levels on testing days.
Arrive at school before the 7:40 am tardy bell so that any personal needs can be taken care of before testing begins promptly at 8:00 am.
STAAR tests have a 4-hour time limit.
For test security, all cell phones/electronic devices will be collected before testing begins. They will be returned at the end of testing for the day.
A light snack and water bottle will be provided for students on STAAR testing days. Students may bring their own snack. Only dry snacks please. No sticky or juicy foods.
Get plenty of sleep the night before the test, and eat a protein rich breakfast on testing days.
If your child is demonstrating anxiety or concern about the STAAR tests, we encourage you to sit down and discuss how they can be a LEADER on testing days, and use the 7 Habits to feel prepared and ready to SHINE! A few tips and strategies for positive self talk are pictured below.
2018 -2019 Returning Student Registration:
Through PowerSchool, most information for returning students will already appear filled out based on existing records. Parents and guardians will just need to verify or update existing information and provide proof of residency. For parents and guardians of returning students, this proof of residency can be submitted either online, at one of the summer central registration days (seen in the chart below) or at a student's campus.
Examples of accepted proof of residency documents include a current utility bill (not a phone bill), lease or closing papers (for 30 days until a utility bill is available). If living with a friend or relative within Northwest ISD, an affidavit must be completed, notarized and provided to the school's front office along with a current utility bill.
Enrollment for students new to the district is currently ongoing. New student enrollment will remain open throughout the school year.
Online enrollment should be completed no later than Tuesday, Aug. 21, to ensure all information has been processed and schedules can be completed by the first day of school. Northwest ISD's 2018-19 school year begins Monday, Aug. 27.
In partnership with the Northwest ISD Council of PTAs, three registration events will be held for students in each high school zone (Steele Accelerated High School students can attend any of the three events). These events will assist with enrollment, and students can also receive immunization shots. Families of students who are new to the district are strongly encouraged to attend one of these events.
Gone are the days of filling out dozens of registration forms by hand at the start of the school year. Northwest ISD has made going back to school easier for returning and new-to-district families with online registration. Parents will now complete required forms online.
Please note, a child should be enrolled by a parent, guardian or a person with control under a court order. For more information, contact your child's campus.
To begin the student registration process for the 2018-2019 school year, please go to the district website at: http://www.nisdtx.org/cms/one.aspx?pageId=291457
Student Lighthouse Team Applications for the 2018 - 2019 Due This Friday, May 11! All Interested 2018 -2019 3rd, 4th and 5th Grade Leaders Can Apply!
Seven Hills Students and Staff Will Attend the Speeding to Read Championship Assembly for Speeding to Read on Wednesday, May 23rd. Permission Slips and Details Were Sent Home Last Week!
You're Invited to a Retirement Celebration Honoring Mrs. Fletcher:
Save the Date:
- May 7 - 11
- Friday, May 11 at 9:00 am
STAAR Testing and Closed Campus from 7:20 - 3:00:
- Monday, May 14: 3rd -4th Grade Math & 5th Grade Math re-test
- Tuesday, May 15: 3rd - 4th Grade Reading & 5th Grade Reading re-test
- Wednesday, May 16: 5th Grade Science
Class Placement Parent Information Letters Due to Mrs. Blackburn:
- Monday, May 14
- Tuesday, May 22, 5:30
Speeding to Read Championship Assembly:
- Wednesday, May 23
- Friday, May 25
Memorial Day School Holiday:
- Monday, May 28
Bump Up Day:
- Tuesday, May 29
1st - 4th Grade End of Year Awards Assemblies:
- Wednesday, May 30 (times TBA)
End of Year Parties:
- Wednesday, May 30 (Times TBA)
- Thursday, May 31, 8:15 am
5th Grade Celebration:
- Thursday, May 31, 6:00 pm
Early Release Days:
- Thursday, May 31; 11:40 am
- Friday, June 1; 11:40 am
Last Day of School:
- Friday, June 1
Campus Information and Reminders:
Mrs. Wallis is collecting a few items for Summer Science Blastoff and could really use your help! She will be collecting through the end of the school year in order to gather enough materials for the entire camp. A collection box will be placed outside the GATES classroom door.
- Clean 2 liter bottles
- Clean Small water or Gatorade bottles
- Empty tissue boxes
- School Doors Open and Staff Are On Duty at 7:20 am: Please remember that students should not be dropped off at school before the doors open and staff are on duty at 7:20 am.
- The safety and security of students, staff, and visitors is a priority. All visitors must sign-in with the front office using the Raptor system to receive a visitor badge. Any visitor without a badge will be redirected to the front office. Please note that we have a new and improved Raptor system for signing our visitors and volunteers in at Seven Hills. All guests and volunteers will be required to scan their ID on their first visit to school this year. Thank you in advance for your patience.
- Student Absences: Please contact the school office if your child will be absent from school. This helps us verify our overall attendance for the day and properly account for all students. When your child returns to school after an absence, please be sure to send a note explaining the reason for the absences.
- See What’s Going on in Our Communities: As a service to our families, the district provides the Community Folder for non-school groups or organizations to post information that may be of interest or a benefit to students and families. Click here to see approved flyers.