BCA October Newsletter
The vision of the Collegiate Academy at Blackman High School is to create a challenging learning environment with a rigorous course of study where students can become well-rounded scholars who fulfill their potential as they transition from high school to post-secondary opportunities.
BCA Pinning Ceremony
Tuesday, Oct. 10th, 6-7:30pm
Please dress as follows: Boys/Men wear dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie (suit jacket preferred but not mandatory). Girls/Women should wear modest dress pants/shirt or skirt/dress (no more than 3 inches above the knee). Parents are welcome to attend as well. Please email Mrs. Dabney at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We look forward to seeing you there!
Congratulations to our three National Merit Semifinalists: Madison Fabber, Nathan Jenkins, and Luke Porter!!
October Speaker Series "A Conversation With Kermit Davis" on 10/12
Speaker: Coach Kermit Davis, MTSU Basketball coach
When: Thursday, October 12th during C&I
Click here to read Coach Davis’ biography.
PSAT: Oct. 25th
The PSAT will be given on Wednesday, Oct. 25th to freshmen, sophomores and juniors who sign up. Taking the PSAT as a junior is the only way to qualify to be a National Merit Finalist or Semi-finalist. The cost is $17. Payment can be made to Mrs. Sadler in the Counseling office starting Sept. 25th through October 13th (check or exact cash). There are a limited number of PSAT testing slots available on a first come, first served basis, so be sure to make your payment as soon as possible.
Students can pick up study materials from Mrs. Sadler when they sign up. Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Cunningham will be offering practice sessions Oct. 9th-23rd before school from 7:30-8:15 in rooms G-20 and G-21. All students who are taking the test are invited.
Applications can be obtained here or you can see your counselor. Governor's School for the Arts applications are due back to your counselor by Friday, October 27th. All other applications are due back by Wednesday, November 22nd.
ACT Prep with Shmoop
Thanks to Rutherford County Schools, you now have access to Shmoop's premium resources. HERE'S HOW TO GET STARTED:
- Your username is your full RCS email address: email@example.com (Example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Your password is your 7 digit state ID number (lunch number)
- If Shmoop asks you for a "magic word", contact Mrs. Brown at email@example.com
- Be sure to use our school's login page at: https://schools.shmoop.com/login/rutherfordcounty/blackman-high-school
Students must complete 40 hours of real-life experience in the area of his/her major. The experience must be approved by the faculty board. This experience can be completed any year but must be completed by April of the senior year. The experience may or may not be a part of the student’s senior research project. The experience should be meaningful and provide insight into the field of study the student is interested in. If you have already completed one of these classes in school please circle it on the form and write what year you took it.
· Blaze Bank
· Sketch it Up
· Blaze Bookstore
· The greenhouse
· IT Clinical classes
· Film/TV station work
· Supervised Agriculture Experience
· Culinary Café
· Health Sciences clinical
· Pre-school work
· Work based learning
· School fine arts performances
Students can come by Mrs. Noffsinger's room in D-1 to get a form or print one off of the BCA website. Forms should be turned in to Mrs. Noffsinger in D-1 or put in her mailbox.
Report Extra-Curricular Activity Hours Online
- Freshmen: Honors English I, Honors Biology, and Honors World History or AP Human Geography (must be enrolled in at least 2)
- Sophomores: Honors English II, Honors Algebra II or Advanced Honors Geometry, and Honors Chemistry (must be enrolled in at least 2)
- Juniors: AP English III, AP U.S. History or Dual Enrollment U.S. History, and Speech or Critical Thinking (These are recommendations but not required. Speech and critical thinking are highly recommended junior year before capstone.)
- Seniors: Speech or Critical Thinking (if not already taken) and Capstone
Congratulations, Luke Porter!
Pictured is Luke at Boys State with Major General Max Haston who is the Adjutant General of the Tennessee National Guard.
Congratulations, Kaeli Dorsey!
Blackman Collegiate Academy Standards
Visit the BCA website for information on the following:
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Academic Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Behavior Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Extra Curricular Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Events Attendance Standards
Do you have BCA questions? Here’s who to contact:
• Grants/Fund Raising - Mrs. Holder: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Extra Curricular - Mr. Green: email@example.com
• Life-Experience - Mrs. Noffsinger: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Research - Mrs. Jones: email@example.com
• Speaker Series - Mr. Seadorf: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Academics - Mrs. DeGeorge but send info to Mr. Hardison until her
• Communications - Mrs. Clawson: email@example.com
• Events/recognition - Mrs. Dabney: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Capstone - Mrs. Baumann: email@example.com
• Dual Enrollment - Mrs. Garrott: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Applying - Ms. Bryan: email@example.com
• General information - Mr. Reed: firstname.lastname@example.org