Lyndon B. Johnson
Sworn into office.
Air Force One.
The Election of 1964.
The Great Society.
What was the great society?
- Many policies were like the New Deal.
- "The Other America" by Michael Harrington helped the public understand and support this.
- Created a billion dollar war on poverty.
- Stopped Job Discrimination against women.
The Twenty Fourth Amendment.
What was it?
- Got Rid of the Tax to vote.
- Was thought to have helped desegregate the south.
During "Freedom Summer" Whites and blacks came together to vote, but several people were killed and arrested due to turmoil.
Vietnam and the Tonkin Gulf Resolution
Johnson's Civil Rights.
Voting Rights Act of 1965- Prohibits discrimination in voting, by outlawing literacy tests and attempted to get all blacks to sign up for the vote.
1968- The Watershed Year.
America begins to withdraw.
In April, Civil Rights Protester Martin Luther King Junior is assassinated.
Rioting in response to King's death.
The civil rights act is passed.
June: Robert Kennedy is assassinated.
August: Nixon is declared as the republican candidate.
Johnson stops bombings.
Nixon wins presidency, South Vietnam agrees to peace talks.