CRATER LAKE ACADEMY
FEBRUARY 2023 - EXPLORERS
Message From the Principal
Happy start to our second semester! Our scholars just recently completed Winter Benchmarking and I'm excited to share that we saw a lot of positive growth across all grades. You should be receiving your scholars report cards in the mail. Please contact your scholars teacher if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks again for partnering with us to guide your scholars towards success.
Our character trait this month is EMPATHY. EMPATHY is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Please take the opportunity this month to discuss EMPATHY with your scholar.
Check out the video below of our whole school dancing and celebrating during School Choice Week. It was so much fun!
Scholastic Book Fair
February 27th - March 3rd
- February 1 ~ Student of the Month Assembly @ 1:05pm - 1:40pm
- February 1 ~ PTO Meeting @ 2:15-3:15pm
- February 1 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- February 1 ~ First Day of Black History Month
- February 2 ~ College / Career Day
- February 3 ~ 4th - 8th Ski Program
- February 8 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- February 10 ~ 4th - 8th Ski Program
- February 14 ~ Valentine's Day
- February 14 ~ Valentine Candy Grams (MS Leadership)
- February 14 ~ CIP Team Meeting @ 5:00pm @ HS Campus
- February 15 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- February 17 ~ 4th - 8th Ski Program
- February 15 ~ Immunization Exclusion Day
- February 20 ~ President's Day (NO SCHOOL)
- February 22 ~ PTO Meeting @ 2:15pm / Literacy Night Grab Bags Assembly
- February 22 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- February 24 ~ 4th - 8th Ski Program
- February 27 - March 3 ~ Literacy Week / Scholastic Book Fair
- March 1 ~ Student of the Month Assembly @ 1:05pm - 1:40pm
- March 1 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- March 1 ~ PTO Meeting @ 2:15-3:15pm
- March 1 ~ First Day of Women's History Month
- March 2 ~ Literacy Night
- March 2 ~ College / Career Day
CLA SWAG STORE
SKI AND SNOWBOARDING PROGRAM
4TH - 8TH GRADES
Hello 4th-8th grade CLA families,
We are so excited about participating in the Mt. Ashland Ski and Snowboarding Program this season!!! The program schedule is as follows:
- Friday, February 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th
- The first session will be Friday, February 3rd and continue for all four Fridays in February. If you are planning on carpooling or driving your student up, please plan on meeting up at the Mountain at 9:00am. Each vehicle will need their own snow park pass. These passes can be purchased up at the mountain as a day pass and at most sporting goods stores in our area (REI, BlackBirds, etc...you can purchase an individual day pass or one that is good for the entire winter season). Once up at the mountain, Mrs. Bilden, Ms. Newberg and several staff members will be at our designated location in the lodge to begin handing out passes and directing students to their rental gear.
- For students who will be riding the bus you need to be at CLA K-8 Campus, at 8:00am. We are on an extremely tight schedule and our goal is to be ready to board the bus and leave campus as close to 8:15am as possible. The bus will NOT wait for late arrivals.
- Parents who are planning on skiing/snowboarding can purchase discounted tickets on the day of the program and do not need to register in advance. ($20 lift ticket)
- Students will be responsible for bringing their own lunch. There will be time to eat in the lodge after their lessons if they so choose.
- Departure from the mountain will be at 1:30pm to arrive back at CLA by 2:30pm to be picked up at that time.
- We will follow this schedule for all remaining sessions.
See you on the slopes!!!
ONLY 2 MORE DAYS
8TH GRADE RECOGNITION ADS
Get your Recognition Ads completed as soon as possible...ONLY TWO MORE DAYS...
FEBRUARY 3RD, 2023
is the DEADLINE to submit your ad to wish your 8th grader success into high school.
- 1/8 page for $10.00
- 1/4 page for $15.00
Follow the link below and once you are on the Crater Lake Academy Elementary Yearbook site, scroll down to "Yearbook Recognition Ads" and click on "Create My Ad"! Have fun making memories!!!
If you have any questions, please contact Lori Daniels at 541-879-3620 or email me at danielsl@craterlakecharter. org and I will be glad to help.
K-8 YEARBOOK 22-23
PORTRAIT SNEAK PEAK...2ND GRADE
Order Your K-8 Yearbook Today!!!
MEMORIES ARE PRICELESS - GET THEM BEFORE THEY ARE GONE!!!
click on the "ORDER YEARBOOK" link below...
PTO - Updates
CLA's Parent Teacher Organization would like invite you to come check out the Scholastic Book Fair opening on February 27th and running all week through March 3rd. We will end the week with Literacy Night on March 2nd! We look forward to seeing you all!
SPECIAL MEETING: February 22 @ 2:15 to put together Literacy Night Grab Bags.
Jenna Thomas and Angie Daniels.
REMINDER: All meetings, for the remainder of the school year, will be held the first Wednesday of each month @ 2:15 at the K-8 campus. Our next meeting is on February 1st!
Thank you so much...
- Thank you PARENTS for making CLA the School of Choice for your scholars! We are so grateful that you choose to allow us the privilege of educating your children.
- Thank you North Medford High School Planetarium for hosting our 4th and 5th grade scholars to a wonderful morning learning about the stars and the universe.
- Thank you Bug Guy for teaching our 3rd grade scholars about the Oregon coast sea life!!!
K8 Campus Updates
"Empathy is seeing with the eyes of another, listening with the ears of another and feeling with the heart of another."
- During the month of February the character trait that we'll be focusing on is EMPATHY - the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
- Each month we will have a new character trait. Please discuss what EMPATHY means to you as a family and talk about how your student can show EMPATHY at home, in the classroom and out in the community.
- ATTENDANCE...and the winner is...
- 4TH GRADE with an attendance rate of 99.12% WAY TO GO 4TH GRADE!!!
- K-8 Campus with an attendance rate of 95.19%
We are so proud of all of our students and parents for making such a great effort to be at school. Attendance is so important and being present is one of the components to success. Our goal is always 100% attendance...so, if your student is not going to be at school for the day, please make sure to contact the teacher as well as the office, to get any work assigned for that day so that you can get full attendance credit. Keep up the good work CLA scholars and parents!!!
- The winners of the SPIRIT AWARDS for JANUARY are:
- THE GOLDEN LUNCH TRAY - 4th Grade
- THE GOLDEN DUST PAN - Kindergarten
- THE GOLDEN WHISTLE - 2nd Grade
- THE MIDDLE SCHOOL GOLDEN PENCIL - 8th Grade
Students of the Month
CONGRATULATIONS to all of our outstanding EXPLORERES for receiving this honor of being selected as Students of the Month for JANUARY!!!
Mrs. Waldon's Kindergarten Class ~ Layla S.
Mrs. Shelton's 1st Grade Class ~ Brayden W.
Mrs. Nelson's 2nd Grade Class ~ Jesstina M.
Mrs. William's 3rd Grade Class ~ Ellie D.
Mrs. Bilden's 4th Grade Class ~ Aubrey E.
Ms. Newberg's 5th Grade Class ~ Kaiden P.
Mrs. Breiholz's 6th Grade Class ~ Rylee P.
Mr. Harrington's 7th Grade Class ~ Jayden M.
Mrs. Schnur's 8th Grade Class ~ Rowan H.
Oregon law requires that all students be up-to-date on their immunizations unless they have an authorized exemption. Immunization exclusion day is February 15, 2023. If your student is missing shots or we don't have current records, you may be contacted by our Central Office. It's a great time to check if your child is up-to-date on vaccines! The number of doses required varies by a child’s age and how long ago they were vaccinated. Other vaccines may be recommended. Check with your child’s healthcare provider for details. Exemptions are also available. Let's keep children up-to-date and healthy in school.
College & Career Day
At CLA we have a mission that Every Student Graduates+. We want to provide experiences for our students by exposing them to different career choices. We plan to have community speakers visit throughout the year to share the path they used to get to their career, whether it was through attending college/university, trade school, or a through a different path.
So, on the first Thursday of each month, our students and staff will wear college/university gear (college logo t-shirts, lanyards, hats, etc.) or dress in the career they want to be. Example: if a student is hoping to be a firefighter in the future and they have an outfit, they are encouraged to wear it on this day!
The hope is that we help our students start think about their future!
Nutrition Department is Hiring for a Part Time Position
LOST & FOUND
Please come and check out the LOST & FOUND for any personal items that your child may be missing! Also, as the colder weather is approaching, please be sure to write your child's name on jackets, lunch boxes, water bottles, backpacks, and any other item that they could possibly lose. This helps us to return these items to their proper owners. Thanks so much for your cooperation.
DROP OFF & DISMISSAL (PICK UP)
- SO IMPORTANT WE ARE SAYING IT AGAIN:
- School Opens ~ 8:30AM Breakfast ~ 9:00AM Class begins (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)
- School Dismissal ~ 3:00PM (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)
- Wednesday Dismissal ~ 2:00PM
- Friday (work from home day) Please check in with your teacher to receive attendance credit.
- Bussing / Transportation ~ Please call EPSD Transportation at (541) 830-1245, if you need information about when and where your child will be picked up and dropped off via bus, before and/or after school.
**Students are required to have ACADEMIC PROGRESS and COMMUNICATION every day for daily attendance** PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE EVERYDAY WHEN YOUR STUDENT IS UNABLE TO ATTEND CLASS AND HAVE THEM LOG INTO THEIR CANVAS TO WORK FROM HOME if they are able. This information will allow us to code the absence correctly and will prevent an attendance letter from being automatically generated from the students profile.
Fridays will be dedicated to asynchronous (work from home) time and scheduled interventions on campus. Oregon Department of Education requires students to work Monday through Friday within their course work. Attendance will be taken on Friday based on students logging into Canvas and completing assigned work.
6-8th grade athletics are provided through a district's "home school". This is the school that a student would attend based on the locational boundary they live in. If you live in the Eagle Point School District boundaries please see the information below. If you live outside the EPSD boundaries please contact your home district for information.
2022-23 Athletic Clearance Process Update - High School & Middle School
Eagle Point School District 9 - Moving to Digital (web-based) Athletic Clearance for the 2022-23 Seasons for High School & Middle School Eagle Point School District 9 is happy to announce that we will be moving to a digital, web-based clearance process.
STAY CONNECTED ~ STUDENT & PARENT RESOURCES
Parent support is invaluable! Although they may not always act like it, your student needs you now more than ever. CLA wants to help you keep that connection. Parents have found great success using the Canvas Parent App and the Crater Lake Academy App.
CANVAS PARENT APP
Click Here to learn more about the Parent Canvas App
- Download "Canvas Parent"
- Find My School - Search for "Crater Lake Charter Academy - Parent"
- Enter your personal information to create login
- Enter "Student Pairing Code" - Contact your student's Advisor to get this code
Crater Lake Academy App
School Calendar 2022-2023
Crater Lake Academy
PO Box 947 Eagle Point, OR 97524