Iowa City Summit: Google Classroom
Utilizing Google Classroom to Engage Your Students
What Is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is a free management system that allows students and teachers to seamlessly utilize Google Apps for Education (Google Docs, Drawing, Slides, Forms, Sheets), websites, videos, etc., in a safe environment that allows for critical-thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration which enhance the learning environment.
Reasons to Love Google Classroom
- Seamlessly integrates with other Google Tools
- Gives students a safe environment to work and collaborate
- Students can access from anywhere
- Streamlined organization of student work
- Reinforces critical-thinking, creativity, communication and collaboration
- Connection capabilities
- Easy to use
Ideas for Using Google Classroom
- Assigning classroom work (Google Docs, Drawings, Slides, etc.)
- Sharing videos and links for student use
- Flipping classroom work
- Enriching classroom learning
- Discussions and group commenting
- Connecting learners
- Managing and assigning group work
- Gathering instructional data
- Digital Citizenship practice
- Professional Development (groups, blended)
Lynn Kleinmeyer is a Digital Learning Consultant with Grant Wood AEA. Prior to joining the Digital Learning Team, Lynn worked for 3 years as a Teacher Librarian for 2nd-5th graders and taught 7th grade Reading for 13 years. Lynn is dedicated to supporting the integration of technology and information literacy skills in every classroom.