The Quill 10-01-21
Creating Opportunities Together
A Thought or Two From Mr. Nieslanik
As we have settled into our pattern we have learned so much from our students. Some of the information they are telling us through their behavior is causing us to reflect and put better support systems in place and at the same time, other pieces of information are reaffirming and celebratory. As we reengage together as a community, we need your help. Below is a list of ways that I know will help our entire community:
- Talk to your child about school and what is working and not working.
- Listen to their answers without judgment and then ask how they want you to help, or what your next move can be.
- If you have a question about SRHS, please ask. I would rather you ask than assume.
- Enter the conversations as partners in the work.
- Help your child "people". Coming back into a large community, in a tight place, and with other people from different walks of life is difficult. The more supports we can give in how to appropriately engage, ask questions and respond will only help all of us.
- And lastly, listen.
I ask that you please check off in Parentvue if your child is vaccinated. This really helps us navigate presumptive positive COVID cases. If your child is vaccinated and Parentvue does not allow you to update the information, please send us the information and we will update it for you. Thank you for considering this request.
Important News! The FAFSA window opens today. The FAFSA is very important to complete for all seniors. This data base allows you to access scholarships, grants and financial aide to support students at the community college or university level. You can access important FAFSA Information HERE!
Until Next Time,
Back to School Night: October 6, 2021
Back to School Night will once again be virtual this year with both synchronous and asynchronous options available for families. The event will run from 6:30-8:00pm on October 6th. In addition to learning about your child's teachers through asynchronous virtual video and Canvas page presentations you will be able to have live, virtual presentations in the following areas: Athletics, AVID, Clubs and Activities, Dual Language, Technology Support with Canvas, Parent Square, and Parentvue, the IB Program, Overview of SRHS equity and instructional supports, Performing Arts, Science, Sexual Health Curriculum, Understanding the IEP in the Resource Room and the Specialized Program Classroom.
We invite you to access the program and agenda HERE. We have both Spanish and English break out sessions available. The full program, with zoom links, will be sent out on Tuesday, October 5th.
We have seen an increase in students who have had to quarantine due to either being a positive or presumptive case, or through contact tracing. Please reinforce wearing of masks, washing of hands, the use of hand sanitizer, and social distancing with your student.
We have received our five large tents to cover the vast majority of the plaza outside space. These tents, alongside additional tables and chairs has made our lunch space much more manageable. We continue to ask students to have up to four students per table.
BSD Information on COVID Protocols
Student's Checking In and Out
Please have your student check in and out of the building. We have no problem if a parent/guardian directly contacts the student, but please have them check in and out after doing so. A parent may also call the attendance line directly or write a note to check a student in and out of the building.
Senior Parents: We are now accepting Senior Portraits and Senior Baby Ads.
Click here for Senior Picture Guidelines Senior Pictures are due November 15.
Click here for details on how to order Baby Ads Baby Ad orders are due by October 18.
Please contact the yearbook at email@example.com with questions and to request extensions.
Please order the yearbook through the Southridge Online Payment System: bit.ly/buyhawkybk, or by bringing a check to the business office.
PSAT Testing Information
College Visits are Back--and Virtual
A Great Opportunity: Ski Team
Another Great Opportunity: Racquetball
October Principal Chat--Thursday, October 14
Rock-n-Roll to School
Information Important to Share
News from our PTO
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday 10/1: AVID Family Night@6:30pm before the SRHS/Jesuit Football Game
- Monday 10/4-Wednesday 10/7: Days of Understanding
- Wednesday 10/6: Virtual Back to School Night
- Wednesday 10/13: PSAT Test
- Friday 10/8: No School: State-Wide In-service Day
- Monday 10/18-Friday 10/22: College Info Week and Pink Week
- Monday 10/18-Saturday 10/23: Homecoming Week
- Friday 10/22: Homecoming Game
- Saturday 10/23: Homecoming Dance
- Monday 10/25-Friday 10/29: Latino College Week