The Dangers of Poisoning

First Aid and Safety - Jessica H.

What is Poisoning?

Poisoning can be pretty harmful to humans or basically any other living thing. Swallowing something, injection, inhaling poisons always need to be taken care of immediately. Being poisoned by anything dangerous is a super serious situation to be in. Not taking this seriously, could lead to the terrible death of a victim.

Some other ways adults or children can be poisoned:

  • Fluoride
  • Mercury
  • Aspartame
  • Airborne pollutants

You can read up more on these sympoms through this link:

Symptoms of Poisoning

There are so many signs that you could tell that someone could be poisoned. Here are the most common:

  • Stomach pain
  • Confusion
  • Weakness/fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Headaches
  • Impaired consciousness (similar to being confused)

Some are very rare that you need to look out for. Vomiting is one, but there are several more that add on:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Swelling or redness of skin
  • Itchy skin
  • Faint feeling
  • Despite temperature, cold feeling throughout the body (I've experienced this, similar to feeling faint)
  • Learning disability, slow growth
  • Loss of appetite
  • Hyperactivity/irritability

  • Insomnia

Steps to Take for Poisoned Victims

Some first aid steps to take to make sure a victim survives from poisoning:

  • Ensure the scene is safe to enter
  • Check for consciousness and breathing
  • Care for life-threatening conditions
  • Collect evidence about the possible poison ask questions if the victim is conscious
  • Call the National Poison Control Center Hotline @ 1-800-222-1222
  • Follow the directions given by the Poison Control dispatcher
  • Do not give the victim anything to eat or drink unless instructed by the Poison Control dispatcher or EMS personnel.
  • Continue to monitor ABC's and care for life threatening conditions

Link for more information on taking care of a poisoned victim: