Wednesday Roundup | 11.16.22
Spotlight Image: Students in Ms. Fonticoba's kindergarten class at Shaull Elementary School are practicing letter sounds and building words with those sounds, while also working on letter formation.
- November 17, 2022 - CV YOU Day at CVHS
- November 18, 2022 - NO SCHOOL for students (Staff Inservice)
- November 23, 2022 - Early Dismissal for students
- November 24-28, 2022 - NO SCHOOL for students
- December 1, 2022 - End of Trimester 1 (elementary)
- December 2 & 3 - Seussical KIDS at Sporting Hill
- December 5, 2022 - School Board Meeting
- December 8, 2022 - Modified Virtual Schedule (HS Gr. 10-12 ONLY)
- December 9, 2022 - NO SCHOOL for students (Staff Inservice)
* All events subject to change. Not an all-inclusive list.
News & Announcements
Simply stated, our students need YOU!
Cumberland Valley School District has immediate openings for substitute teachers and we’re now offering an increased daily rate. PLEASE read to learn more and PLEASE SHARE with anyone you know who might be interested in this rewarding opportunity!
Substitute teacher rates have increased to $150 per day for a day-to-day substitute teacher, $175 per day for a building substitute teacher, and $250 per day for a retired teacher who returns to substitute teach.
- Have your bachelor’s degree? You can complete the Guest Teacher program per PDE guidelines to earn your emergency permit, which allows you to serve as a substitute teacher in our classrooms.
- Currently attending a four-year program to earn your teaching cert? Reach out to learn more about how you can substitute in a classroom through PDE’s Act 86 program.
- Interested in a building sub position? These are regular assignments in which subs report daily to a specific building throughout the school year.
- Interested in a day-to-day professional substitute position? If you have your teaching certification and are interested in flexible scheduling, consider our day-to-day sub opportunities. You create your schedule.
Learn more about all of our substitute opportunities through STS at www.cvschools.org/sub.
College and Career Fair at CVHS
As part of CV You Day, CV High School will host a College and Career fair from 5-7 p.m. on Thursday, November 17, 2022, in the High School Dome and Spectator gymnasiums. The event is open to all students, parents, and community members. More than 100 college and career representatives from various industries will be onsite for the event.
Please click the "2022 College and Career Fair Informational Flyer" link below for more information, including a list of college and career participants.
No School for Students
As a reminder, there is NO SCHOOL for students on Friday, November 18, 2022. The day is designated for staff professional development. Additionally, students dismiss early on Wednesday, November 23, 2022 (no PM kdg this day), and have NO SCHOOL from November 24-28, 2022, for Thanksgiving Break.
The early dismissal schedule for the 2022-23 school year, to include November 23, is listed in the "Additional Reminders" section of this e-newsletter.
Is There a Doctor in the House?
Green Ridge first graders recently finished up a CKLA unit on the human body, where they learned about nutrition and the nervous, skeletal, muscular, circular, and digestive systems. As a culminating activity, they opened Green Ridge Hospital. Currently, they are not accepting new patients. :)
Photos courtesy Mrs. Witte, first grade teacher, Green Ridge ES.
Sporting Hill Elementary School proudly presents Seussical KIDS at 7 p.m. on December 2, 2022, and 2 p.m. on December 3, 2022, in the Sporting Hill Gymnasium. No tickets are required and admission is free.
The Aristocats KIDS and Seussical KIDS are great fun for the whole family. We hope to see you in December for these amazing shows!
Portrait of an Eagle: Classroom Spotlight
Hampden Elementary School first graders recently turned architects in a project that challenged them to think critically, communicate, collaborate, and problem solve as they attempted to construct just the right house that would withstand the Big Band Wolf. Our students demonstrated that they each, in their own creative way, are a Portrait of an Eagle! #CVproud
School Board News
Upcoming School Board Meetings
Unless otherwise advertised, all meetings begin at 7 p.m. and will take place in the District Office Board Room (6746 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg)
November 21, 2022
December 5, 2022
December 19, 2022
Early Dismissal Times
As outlined in the school calendar, students will dismiss early on November 23, 2022 (No PM Kdg), December 23, 2022 (No AM Kdg), and June 8, 2023 (No Kdg). Dismissal times for these dates are as listed below.
- CV9 – 10:35 a.m.
- Eagle View – 10:50 a.m.
- CV High School – 11 a.m.
- Mountain View – 11:25 a.m.
- Monroe, Silver Spring, Middlesex, and Green Ridge Elementary Schools – 11:50 a.m.
- Hampden, Shaull, Sporting Hill, and Winding Creek Elementary Schools – 12:10 p.m.
Lunch will not be served on these days (breakfast WILL be served). Kindergarteners who are in session on these days will be dismissed at the same time as all elementary students and will ride home on their normal end-of-day bus.
Emergency Communication/Official Channels for Communication
It is important to ensure that you only look for communication via our official channels. Please click here to visit our website for a chart illustrating the various ways our stakeholders can connect through our official channels with individual staff, a specific school building, and the district.
Register for Text Alerts
Cumberland Valley School District uses text messaging as a mode of communication during inclement weather, emergencies, bus delays, and more. If you are a parent/guardian who is new to the District or if you have not previously signed up to receive text alerts, please sign into your Skyward Family Access account and complete the “Text (SMS) Notifications” form. For step-by-step directions, please click the "How do I register" link below.