Helms Newsletter #26
March 20th, 2023
🗓 UPCOMING DATES:
THIS WEEK (March 20th - 26th):
- Wednesday, March 22nd: 2nd Grade Field Trip to Nasa
- Wednesday, March 22nd: 4th Grade Field Trip to Menil
- Wednesday, March 22nd: PTA General Meeting, 6pm (cafeteria)
- Thursday, March 23rd: 3rd Grade Field Trip to Fine Arts Museum
- Thursday, March 23rd: 4th Grade Field Day (8:30am-11:00)
- Friday, March 24th: March Madness Wear UH shirt or red
- Friday, March 24th: 5th Grade Field Day (8:30am-11:00)
- Saturday, March 25th: Heights Kids Day of Music, 10am-2pm, (Montie Beach Park)
- Thursday, April 6th: Coffee with the Principal, 8:30am, (cafeteria)
- Thursday, April 6th: Pre-Kinder Field Day (8:30am-11:00)
- Thursday, April 6th: Class Pictures (School Uniform)
- Friday, April 7th: NO SCHOOL - Spring Holiday
- Saturday, April 15th: GT Expo at Helms (8:30am-11:50am)
- Monday, April 17th: Librarian Day
- Wednesday, April 19th: PTA General Meeting, 6pm (cafeteria)
- Friday, April 21st: NO SCHOOL - Spring Holiday
- Saturday, April 22nd: Earth Day
- Wednesday, April 26th: Administrative Assistant Day
- Friday, April 28th: College and Career Day (Sign Up included below)
NEXT WEEK (March 27th - April 3rd):
- Monday, March 27th: Tutorials resume (3rd-5th Grade)
- Monday, March 27th: Kinder Field Day (8:30am-11:00)
- Tuesday, March 28th: First Grade Field Day (8:30am-11:00)
- Wednesday, March 29th: Second Grade Field Day (8:30am-11:00)
- Thursday, March 30th: Third Grade Field Day (8:30am-11:00)
- Friday, March 31st: NO SCHOOL - Chavez-Huerta Day
- Saturday, April 1st: Garden Work Day with PTA, 9-11am
- Everyday: Playground is open to the public after 6:00pm once after school program ends. NOTE-Playground open to Helms families 3:10-3:45pm. Enter through front reception. VIPS approval required.
- Wetlands Wednesdays 9:00-10:30am - on hold and will resume in March 2023
- Spirit Shirt / College Shirt Fridays
- February-July: Spanish Spelling Bee (see flyer included)
Social Skills Program - Campus Wide
Our Social Skill for the week is below.
Additional resources to use at home can be found on the website www.projectclass.org.
March Lunch Menu
UIL Teammates Qualify for District!
Thank you, Mrs. Coffey, for coaching and helping bring the University Interscholastic League (UIL) back to Helms!
Penny Games Results!
2nd grade / SLC won the Penny Games with 24,937 points.
3rd grade had the most coins (11,953) and the highest value ($658.78).
Penny Games raised over $2,650.
44,107 coins were collected, with a value of $1,635.88.
279 pounds of coins were collected.
34,218 pennies were collected, weighing 189 pounds.
38 one-dollar coins were collected.
347 bills were collected, with a value of $1,016
PreK had the least amount of sabotage and beat 4th Grade by 8 points!!!
Kinder, 4th grade, and 5th grade each had a half-dollar coin.
38,476 point spread between first place (2nd Grade / SLC) and last place (5th grade)
5 movie prop bills with a "value" of $322
50 rejected coins
4 US wheatie pennies (1920, 1929, 1937, 1939)
11 from Britain
5 from Mexico
5 from Honduras
4 from the European Union
2 from Singapore
2 from The Bahamas
1 each from Panama, Argentina, Colombia, and The Netherlands
5 tokens, including a vacuum token
8 damaged US coins
High Frequency Words for Kinder-2nd Grade
Per HISD’s guidelines, first and second graders may be tested in May on high frequency words.
If you would like, you may find practice resources (word lists, flash card print outs, Powerpoint practice deck, test window dates) at the link below for kindergarten, first, and second grade. Scroll to the bottom for the dual language section at https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/150910.
MIDDLE SCHOOL INFORMATION:
Wednesday, March 22nd: General PTA Meeting
Zoom Link for PTA Meeting:
Join Zoom Meeting (For listening only. Voting must be in person.)
Meeting ID: 861 3622 4073
Friday, March 24th: March Madness
Saturday, March 25th: Heights Kids Day of Music
In case of a rain out, the festival will be held the next day.
Helms PTA is looking for volunteers to promote our school to the greater community while assisting kids with a fun activity at our booth. One hour slots are available between 9:00am and 2:20pm. https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/10c0e4fa5ad2ca2ffc16-heights
Friday, March 31st: NO SCHOOL, Chavez-Huerta Day
Saturday, April 1st: Garden Day with PTA
Saturday, April 15th: Helms GT Expo
Students will be giving presentations and parents can visit stations. The schedule for the GT Expo is as follows:
- Kinder and 1st Grade 8:30-9:30am
- 2nd and 3rd Grade 9:40-10:40am
- 4th and 5th Grade 10:50-11:50am
April 28th, 2023 - College & Career Day
February - July: Spanish Spelling Bee
Previous School Newsletters & PTA LinkTree
HISD 2022-2023 Academic Calendar
- Helms PTA is looking for volunteers to promote our school to the greater community while assisting kids with a fun activity at our booth. One hour slots are available between 9:00am and 2:20pm at Heights Kids Day of Music on March 25th. https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/10c0e4fa5ad2ca2ffc16-heights
- The Helms PTA After School Program welcomes involvement from our parents. If you have an activity (craft, sport, skill, etc.) that you would like to share with our students, please reach out to Nadia Heffernan, the After School Director at AfterSchool@helmspta.org or at 281-310-1838. Volunteering can be a one-time activity or as often as fits your schedule.
- After school program is looking for creative toys, games and crafts that are no longer feeling the love in your house. Drop off anytime at the school reception marked “After School”.
- Help make letters for the school lockers. Questions? Email Mrs. George-Rios at SGeorgeR@houstonisd.org.
- Click here for teacher wishlists.
Register with VIPS to volunteer on campus
Anyone volunteering for the school during school hours must be VIPS approved for safety reasons. Applicants register, complete an online orientation, and consent to a background check. Volunteers must reapply each year. After completion, look for an email verification from email@example.com confirming your application has been received. Approval process may take 0-5 days.
CONNECT WITH HELMS FAMILIES ONLINE:
“Two Languages, Endless Possibilities”
Principal: Alexander Gonzalez firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Principal: Helen Anguiano email@example.com
Magnet Coordinator: Julie Hernandez firstname.lastname@example.org
Registrar/Attendance Clerk: Patricia Hernandez email@example.com
Nurse: Debra Engler Debra.Engler@houstonisd.org