WEST BAY WEEKLY UPDATE
August 5, 2022
- Find out who your child has for a teacher in PowerSchool starting at 10:00 AM
Wednesday, August 10th
- Popsicles on the Playground for Incoming Kindergarten Families 5:00 PM-6:00 PM
Thursday, August 11th
- Open House 6 PM to 7 PM
- 6:00-6:30 Last Names A-L
- 6:30-7:00 Last Names M-Z
Tuesday, August 16th (A Day)
- First Student Day
- Breakfast begins at 7:35 AM (See details below)
- 1st-5th grade students arrive between 7:55 AM and 8:15 AM
- Kindergarten students arrive at 9:00 AM
- AM Preschool students arrive at 8:20 AM
- PM Preschool students arrive at 12:20 PM
Wednesday, August 17th (B Day)
- Breakfast begins at 7:35 AM (see details below)
- Kindergarten- 5th-grade students arrive between 7:55 AM and 8:15 AM
Thursday, August 18th (C Day)
- Walking Club Begins (see details below)
For the most current information subscribe to our online calendar. You will want to subscribe to both the West Bay and District calendars.
West Bay Families,
Even though I am not new to West Bay, with this being my first year as the Principal, I wanted to introduce myself in hopes that we can get to know each other and work together while your children learn and grow at West Bay!
This will be my 12th year in education. I began my career as a special education teacher in Millard, then in Lincoln where I was a Special Education Coordinator. My family moved to Elkhorn 4 years ago, and I began my career in Elkhorn as a special education teacher at West Bay Elementary for 2 years, and then a CADRE Associate/Assistant Principal/Facilitator for the district for 1 year.
My husband and I have 3 children. We love to spend time attending our kids' activities, and with family and friends.
This year, I am excited to connect with West Bay families and students. I look forward to meeting all of you at drop-off and pick-up, PTO meetings, school events, and Open House. Please let me know whenever you have questions or need anything. Enjoy the remainder of your summer, and we will see you soon!
Mrs. Amber Scott
Open House Thursday, August 11th
- Thursday, August 11th
- 6:00-6:30 (Last Names A-L)
- 6:30-7:00 (Last Names M-Z)
Open House is a great opportunity for parents and students to meet their new teachers, take pictures, drop off school supplies, sign up for PTO volunteer opportunities, and take self-guided tours.
Student's First Day Tuesday, August 16th (A Day)
- Breakfast begins at 7:35 am
- 1st-5th Arrival- Drop off 7:55-8:15 am
- Kindergarten Arrival at 9:00 am
- Preschool Morning Session arrival at 8:20 AM
- Preschool Afternoon Session arrival at 12:20 PM
We are very much looking forward to seeing you all on the first day of school. We will again ask that parents remain in cars when dropping off even on the first day this year. Teachers will not be standing outside with signs. Please show your child the route to their classroom when you come to Open House. If your child walks to school, feel free to walk them up to the school grounds and then allow them to walk into the building on their own. Staff is available to help students find their classrooms on the first day of school.
We ask that kindergarten students wait to arrive until 9 AM on August 16th only. Kindergarten teachers will be outside their kindergarten classroom doors at the back of the building. Please refer to the picture below for door locations. Kindergarten parents may walk their children up to this area to ensure their child gets into the correct room. Kindergarten arrival on August 17th will be at the regular time (7:55-8:15 AM), students should be dropped off at the front of the building. The Kindergarten teachers will be out front with signs to greet the students.
Preschool teachers will also meet the students outside near the preschool entrance. Morning students should NOT arrive before 8:20 AM and afternoon students should NOT arrive before 12:20 PM.
Walking Club--Starts, Thursday, August 18th 7:55-8:10 AM
Drop Off and Pick Up Procedures
- All drivers need to follow the rules and pull forward. Pulling forward is the key!
- Always use the crosswalk to cross traffic in the pick-up lane.
- Please do not get out of your vehicle if you are in the drop-off/pick-up lane.
- If your child is unable to unbuckle/buckle themselves, please practice at home. This is a skill they need to be able to do independently.
- Students should enter/exit vehicles curbside.
- Please be patient and be a positive role model for our children. These procedures are in place to help maintain a safe and respectful environment.
- Drive slowly
- Refrain from using your cell phone
Students that ride the bus will be dismissed from the classroom at 3:00 pm
Students who walk, are picked up or go to EKC will be dismissed at 3:06 pm
Kindergarten- Door #2
1st Grade- Door #1 (Front Doors)
2nd Grade- Door #1(Front Doors)
3rd Grade- Door #14 (EKC/Gym Doors)
4th Grade- Door #10 (5th Grade Door)
5th Grade- Door #10 (5th Grade Door)
Elementary School Hours
Students who arrive late/leave early must sign in/out at the front office. When a student leaves early, a parent must come into the office to sign their child out.
Building Visitors and Volunteers
At West Bay, the doors will remain locked during the school day, and all visitors will gain access using the security camera/access panel outside of the school's main entrance. The office will grant access after you do the following steps:
1. Push the button and wait for an identification request.
2. Give your name and purpose for entering the school.
3. When you hear the door unlatch, enter and proceed to the office.
4. Sign in on the visitor sheet and take a visitor sticker/badge.
There are many ways to get involved as a parent at West Bay. Please check the West Bay PTO page for volunteer sign-up opportunities.
Beginning September 6, 2022, we welcome parents to eat lunch at school with their children on special occasions. You may bring in a meal for you and your child or you are welcome to call in an adult cafeteria order by 9:00 am on the day of your visit. We have visitor seating available at lunch and our staff members are always willing to answer any questions you may have.
Girls On the Run at West Bay
GOTR is open to girls in grades 3-5 at West Bay. The team will meet on Tuesday and Thursday at West Bay beginning Tuesday, September 6 from school dismissal until 4:30. Parents that are interested in signing up their daughter can find additional information and the registration link at www.GOTRNebaska.org. Questions, contact Katy Bode at email@example.com
West Bay's team is filling up fast, so sign up now!