Attention Future School Counselors!
Resegregation of American Schools in a "Post-Racial" Society
Phases of the American Education System
How has your personal educational experience been impacted by NCLB Act?
What were the demographics of your high school?
- Average Latino student attends a school with a 72% minority population.
- Average Black student attends a school with a 70% minority population.
- Average Asian student attends a school with a 55% minority population.
- Average American Indian student attends school with a 56% minority population.
- Average White student attends school with a 22% minority population.
There has been improvement in reading for both of these minority groups but the achievement gap still exists
-1998: 14% compared to 2009: 11%
-HOWEVER, high poverty(76%) & low poverty (25% free or reduced lunch)schools are concerning
-4th grade reading gap: 19.8% (1998) & in 2009 15.8%
"...schools classified as a high-poverty schools are also schools with the lowest achievement levels in reading and math" (Spring, 2013).
After hearing these stats, how much do you think ethnicity and SES play a part in the education a student receives?
*Our society is assumed to reflect a post-racial society where race does not affect opportunity
What intervention plans within your practicum site address the issue of low achieving students?