Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of January 18th
Dear Parents and Guardians of students at Indian Creek Elementary,
Our school has partnered with BrightBytes - an educational technology company - to learn about our use of technology for learning.
On Tuesday, January 19th the survey will open for parents to participate and provide feedback to our school. The district is looking for 100% participation to gather accurate data. We invite you to answer a few questions about your technology use. It should take less than 5 minutes to complete on any device with Internet access.
The link will be sent to you via email and skyward on Tuesday, January 19th.
Thank you for your continued support!
Teacher Copy Room NEED!
Indian Creek Teachers :)
Link to Volunteer Spot: http://vols.pt/XugV4d
"Creating a Perfect World for Kids"
Do you know people who are trying to create a perfect environment for their children? Are they more concerned about getting the world to adjust to their kids than they are about helping their kids learn to cope with and deal with the world as it exists today?
In spite of the efforts of many to create a perfect country where no one will ever be offended, where bad decisions will have limited consequences, where good outcomes are guaranteed regardless of effort and sacrifice, and where kids never have less than the neighbors' kids, our kids are still living in a world that requires effort and resilience.
Our love for our kids tempts us to do all we can to make their childhood better than ours. It tempts us to try to eliminate disappointment, struggle, and inconvenience from their lives.
Each day we need to remind ourselves:
Whose needs are being met when we attempt to guarantee that our kids are never disappointed, never get less than an "A" grade, never have to struggle, never take risks, never fail, and never have less than the neighbor kid?
Is it my job to make the world adjust to my kids, or is my job to help my kids develop resilience so that they can fit into a world they’re going to face?
Trying to create perfect environments for our children is about as successful as creating perfect children. In my eyes, to think otherwise is a delusion.
It takes great courage to be a parent. Love and Logic's all-time favorite audio is, Helicopters, Drill Sergeants and Consultants. Listening frequently will help you build that courage.
Indian Creek PTA!
What We Are Learning this Week:
- We are working on Topic 9, multiplying and dividing fractions. We will test over Topic 9 at the end of the week.
- We will continue our biography and research unit. This week, we will create our own biographies through iBook Author. Students will use what they have learned from their selected biography, digital resources and research notes to create their iBook.
- Mrs. Purvis' class will be finishing up Forces and Motion. We will be taking an assessment on Thursday.
- Next we will begin Earth's Rotation
- Mrs. Brown's class will be finishing up light energy and beginning Forces and Motion! The students will design an experiment that tests the effect of force on an object.
- We will begin a unit on slavery in the Americas. The essential question we will use for our focus is, "What was the impact of slavery on Africans?" Students will examine three dilemmas that Africans faced during the slave trade and will identify various aspects of life for enslaved Africans and consider the ways in which plantation owners responded to these activities.
Tutoring! - all tutoring will be held this week
Please contact the appropriate teacher to let us know if your child is staying to attend tutoring.
Tutoring is after school and ends at 3:35pm. Please pick up your child at the front of the building promptly at 3:35.
Monday - Math (Mrs. Purvis & Mrs. Vitosh)
Tuesday - Reading (Mrs. Brown, Ms. Horne, & Mrs. Legg)
Wednesday - Any Subject (all teachers, Ms. Legg will have writing tutoring)
Resources to Use:
Math:Access the math textbooks online by first going to www.lisd.net.
Go to the "Resources" tab and click on "for Students."
Once there, click on "Digital Resources."
On the right side of the page is a button that says "Pearson Realize."
The log-in is the same as your student's district log-in.
The Social Studies Alive curriculum is entirely online. Here is how your student can access the information from home:
website: www.teachtci.com (and select 'student')
username: last name, 1st initial
password: ID # (numbers only)
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES