Peter the Great
REIGN AS EMPEROR
- Peter was a very curious person regarding foreign land and new technologies.
- He was impressed by Parliament once he visited England.
- Peter used his power to help make Russia a modern power.
- By the end of his rule, Peter had gained Russia more territory and ports in other countries.
- During his reign, Peter improved the Russian army.
- After visiting various parts of Europe, Peter wanted to adopt Western culture in Russia.
- Peter the Great imported Western technology and enhanced the education in Russia.
- To pay for this, Peter encouraged exports. Thus, he improved the waterways and canals.
- He passed a law that allowed nobles to keep their land, including the peasants that worked for them.
- Peter took the throne in 1682 when he was only 10 years old.
- He was married twice, to Eudoxia Lopukhina and then Catherine I of Russia until his death in 1725.
- These two marriages resulted in 11 children, with many of them dying during infancy.
- Peter had the head of his wife’s lover cut off and put into a jar of preserving alcohol, which he then ordered to be placed by her bed.
- Peter eventually died on February 8, 1725 of gangrene.
- Gangrene is dead tissue caused by an infection or lack of blood flow.