The Weekly Update
from SD State Library School Library Services
January 24, 2022
February is Library Lovers' Month!
Library Lovers' Month is a celebration of libraries, librarians, book lovers, and lovers of libraries. This a great time to promote your library's resources and services to your library support groups: the superintendent, school board, administrators, parents, staff, and students.
You can take the entire month of February to celebrate the value of your library! How cool is that?
Activities to try this month:
- Create an interactive bulletin board asking your students and staff why they love the library.
- Create a "Blind Date with a Book" display.
- Display books that are set in libraries.
- Instead of a Book Tasting, try a Book Speed Dating activity.
- Promote your programs, resources, and services with a fun infographic (see below).
- Take the Textual Literacy course offered by SDSL to learn more about reading for personal and academic growth.
- Promote and teach about the SDSL Databases.
- Host a book mark design contest.
- Search "Library Lovers' Month" online and see how many more fun ideas you can find!
Library Lovers' Month Flipgrid Challenge
Share something you love about your library and you could win FREE books!
Any time from now until the end of February, click HERE or on the picture below to head over to Flipgrid. Then, in 1 minute or less, tell us something about your library that you love! It could be a service that you provide, a program that you offer, a resource that your students and staff can't get enough of, a favorite collaboration with a teacher, a story about a patron, a plan for the future, etc.
At the end of the month, everyone who submitted an entry will be in a drawing for FREE books from SDSL! There may even be more than one winner!
The School Library Scoop with Scottie
Episode 15: Gale Books and Authors
I hope you're enjoying this new platform for short tutorials on school library services, technology tips and trends, and so much more. If you have suggestions or requests for future topics, please click the "Topic Suggestions" button below. Past episodes can be viewed on SDSL's YouTube Channel.
1 Editable Infographic
Library Lovers' Month is a great time to promote your library! Click on the infographic below to get your own copy and edit the information. Everything is editable, so feel free to add the statistics that work the best for your library.
When you are finished, share it out with your administrators, parents, staff, and students!
2 Bulletin Board/Display Ideas
3 Great Databases for Library Lovers
..from SDSL School Library Services
The Weekly Update is a correspondence from the South Dakota State Library focusing on current topics in school libraries, best practices, resources, professional development, and more.
SDSL does not endorse any service or product listed or linked to in this newsletter.