GES Staff Update-Week of 9/19/16
Device Agreement Forms
A few things for you to know regarding these signed forms:
Any student who does NOT have a signed agreement on file by Friday, September 23rd will NOT be able to use a GCISD device at school. We all know how valuable this opportunity is for our students and don’t want them missing out on these awesome learning opportunities in your class. If you have a parent who has expressed to you that they will not sign, please let Liz know ASAP.
- Copies of device agreements were placed in your boxes on Friday afternoon. Please double-check the spreadsheet to know exactly who still needs to turn in a form and send these home with students on Monday, 9/19. Again, you may always check the binders in the office, or call Gina if you have questions about a student who you think already turned a form in, but isn’t marked.
Many questions have surfaced now that we've started implementing these new guidelines. I appreciate your efforts to stay consistent as a grade level and to follow these new policies! Please continue to ask your questions and provide feedback on a GES Grading Policy Feedback google doc so that Liz can share our campus perspective and questions with district leadership throughout the school year. Thanks!
Book Study Opportunity
Nancy Hale, Angela Horn, Justin Burns, Gayle Lambert, McKenzie O'Briant, Michelle Basil, Ashley Allen, Kerri Hendrickson, Ciera Davis, Jennie Curnow, Erin Wahpekeche, Aaron Perez, Amy VanHook, Tricia Moore, Candy Dodd, Susan Stackfleth & Karen Redmon.
A few things that club sponsors have been asked to do to help our clubs run smoothly:Notify students if they are members of a club; Notify classroom teachers of club participants; Create a master list of club members for front office reference
Please note that all club dismissal will be in the BACK car loop only. (walkers can go out front doors) We want to avoid any confusion with KidzU pick up and avoid giving unauthorized visitors entry to our building after 3:30pm.
**Homeroom teachers can help out by reminding students to walk straight to club locations at 2:55 and/or to check in with KidzU prior to going to any after school club meeting. Be sure to check the clubs location document in google drive if you need that information!
Giving Campaign for the GCISD Education Foundation
1. Complete the EMPLOYEE DONOR FORM found in your mailbox. You can give cash or a check donation with the donor form or complete & SIGN the form for payroll deduction. Your payroll deduction can be a one-time deduction, distributed across eight months, or distributed across three months. How easy is that?
2. Turn it into Angela Horn by October 5th! (You can also donate via the North Texas Giving Day on SEPTEMBER 22ND between 6:00 a.m. and midnight. Please see NorthTexasGivingDay.org for more information. PLEASE BE SURE TO DESIGNATE YOUR DONATION TO GRAPEVINE COLLEYVILLE ISD EDUCATION FOUNDATION.)
But, it gets better...
* Turn in your signed donor form by next Tuesday, September 20th for a JEANS PASS!
* Become a member of the Cornerstone Club with the Education Foundation by donating $100 ($12.50 per month over 8 months) for a SONIC BEVERAGE!
* Encourage every GES employee to donate for 100% participation and enjoy BREAKFAST in October!
Let Angela Horn know if you have any questions or comments between now and October 5th regarding our Giving Campaign! We appreciate your generosity!!
Standards Based Report Cards
Think Central Information
- While I had hoped we would be able to use ThinkCentral system wide by the end of this week, we may not be at that point yet. Laura has identified an error that has 5,000 students listed with one elementary, and it will take some time to fix it. Thank you so much for your patience, and know that we are working to get your teachers and students access to their resources as soon as possible.
Things to Know...
This Tuesday, we will gather in the Learning Commons at 3:15 for PLP Work Time. We will be discussing how we will work as Professional Learning Communities this year. 3rd, 4th and 5th grade Science teachers will work with their science PLC at Bransford Elementary instead. In order to get to BES, our teachers will be asking team members to assist them in dismissing students on Tuesday afternoon.
T-TESS goal setting conferences will be scheduled with either Heather or Liz in the next two weeks. Watch for an email to sign up for a time that is convenient for your schedule. Goal setting forms have been changed and will be housed in Eduphoria. Heather & Liz will show you how to cut and paste what you created in August and paste it into the form. We look forward to discussing your goals for the 16-17 school year!
Heather and Liz appreciate all of the efforts you all have made to make our classrooms so inviting. We are seeing classroom walls fill up with anchor charts, student work and other evidence of shared writings with students. Thank you for surrounding our students with colorful and meaningful tools and displays of their hard work!
The window for dyslexia screening is open from 9/12-10/14. If you have any kiddos that you’re concerned about or questions about the dyslexia screening process, please reach out to Amanda Vasquez or Cindy Kunkel. They are more than happy to answer your questions and help you gather info.
- We are in need of a NEHS sponsor for this year. This is a great opportunity to get involved at the campus level and to support one of our many student programs. If you are interested, please see Liz or Heather.
If you have any issues with STEMscopes, please email Cristi Strang with your specific concerns. You can also copy Nancy, as she may be able to troubleshoot some things for you. Some common problems seem to be…
unable to login
student rosters incorrect or incomplete
unable to build classes
unable to assign work
Please take a moment to fill out our GES Learning Commons survey. Dr. Newell created this survey as a tool for librarians to gauge how our libraries/learning commons are currently doing and how we can best support you. I value this survey for growth and direction when making future plans for our library.
This survey is anonymous, and only benefits me if you take your time and answer honestly. Please elaborate at the end of the survey if you give a low score so I can improve, and celebrate what we're doing right, too!
You will find the survey here: https://goo.gl/forms/sTkVTHkpmuDoC8a93
- As we enter the fifth week of school, don't forget that you should be scheduling a face to face conference with as many parents as possible. Phone conferences are an option if you cannot find a date/time that works for your families to come to GES.
- All volunteers, including classroom readers, must complete both volunteer requirements prior to volunteering. Please see Gina or Jessica prior to inviting volunteers into your classrooms to be sure all steps are completed. We've had to turn away a few volunteers lately and would like to prevent that from happening!
- FLEX requirements are due on October 19th.
As you know, one of Dr. Ryan's superintendent goals is to implement a process for inviting and utilizing student voice in our schools. Last year, GCISD had a group of teachers who participated in a pilot with this initiative and the results were promising. Students responded extremely positively when given the opportunity to become partners in educational decision making. Voice can happen through formal, schoolwide means AND through informal means of teachers simply inviting students into frequent conversations about what works best for them in classroom contexts.
Interested in implementing student voice into your classroom? Please take a few moments to review the Student Voice in GCISD smore that describes this powerful, and free concept. It summarizes the concept of "voice" in GCISD, provides some options for teachers who want to join the movement and shares additional resources. I can't wait to see all the ways that #GCISDVoice impacts GES this year!
Our Character Quality for September is KINDNESS!
Monday, 9/19-Friday 9/23 Texas Constitution Week
Monday, 9/19-Thursday 9/22 Half days-Data days (schedule above)
Tuesday, 9/20 Science teachers(3rd-5th) meet with Cristi Strang at 3:00pm at Bransford
Tuesday, 9/20 PLC work time (3:15-4pm in the Learning Commons)
Thursday, 9/22 Cheer Club (2:55-3:30pm); GES Bank training (3-4:30-Learning Commons)
Friday, 9/23 GCISD device agreement forms due
Monday, 9/26 National Pancake Day-come enjoy pancakes in the lounge at 7:10am
Monday, 9/26 STEMscopes training during conference times (Science lab)
Tuesday, 9/27 Campus Excellence Committee meeting (3:10pm)
Wednesday, 9/28 Art Club (2:55-3:55pm)
Thursday, 9/29 Humanities meetings during conference times
Thursday, 9/29 Cheer Club (2:55-3:30pm); GES Bank training (3-4:30 Learning Commons)
Friday, 9/30 T-TESS goal setting form due in Eduphoria
Wednesday, 10/19 Flu shots in the science lab (7 am-10 am)
Where We Will Be...
- Thursday, 9/22 - Horn at PDEC all day; Liz leaves at noon for Houston; Gina and Jessica at RX class 2p-4p (Amanda Martinez will help at front desk)
- Friday, 9/23 - Hilcher in Houston at Writer’s Workshop training w/Dr. Newell; Hale at Liaisons/Coaches meeting all day
Monday Message to Parents
The following link will take you to the parent newsletter that will be sent out Monday morning: https://www.smore.com/1d08y
Disclaimer: It will be a work in progress until late Sunday night!
- Lesson plans, or links to your plans, should be saved to our Google drive folder in the GES Faculty and Staff folder: http://bit.ly/2buFsfQ
- Newsletters, or links to newsletters, should be saved to the Google drive folder in GES Faculty and Staff: http://bit.ly/1MAJbWP