By: Wasif Siddiqui
- Currents can be created by density differences in water masses caused by temperature and salinity variations. These currents move deep within the ocean taking nutrients, oxygen, and heat with them.
- Surface currents are usually created by wind, and their patterns are determined by wind direction.
- Bottom currents scour and sort sediments, which affects what kind of bottom develops in an area; hard or soft, fine grained or coarse.
- How do ocean currents affect the living organisms around them?
- How quickly does an ocean current move?
Why Should We Care?
Ocean currents that are at the sea floor affect what kind of land that an area will have. This may also determine what kind of communities develop in an area!