5th and 6th Grade News
February 8, 2016
Dear Fabulous Fifth and Sixth Grade Families,
Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Catholic Schools Week was a blast and our children had so much fun and it was great to see so much school spirit!
Lent: Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. It is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption. Fifth and Sixth Grade are hosting Mass on Ash Wednesday, and all families are invited to attend Mass with us. As part of our Lenten practice, the upper grades will be observing silent lunch on Ash Wednesday and then on subsequent Fridays when we return from our President's Day (long) weekend.
Valentine's Day Exchange: We will have a small Valentine's Day exchange on Thursday, February 11th in the afternoon. Students may exchange cards and treats that are individually wrapped. Students must wear uniform to school as we have Mass that day as well.
Progress Reports and Conferences: Progress Reports went home last Wednesday, February 3rd. Parent-Teacher conferences will be held on Friday, February 12th. There is no school for students that day, so conferences will take place during regular school hours. I have contacted parents individually if a conference is required for their student, but parents can also request a conference if they would like to discuss anything. Feel free to email me and request a time.
Please remember: All students not in an adult-sponsored activity (orchestra, tutoring, etc.) must either be picked up by 3:15 or they will be sent to Extended Care (and families will be charged).
Here is what is going on this week:
- P.E.- Students can bring weather appropriate clothes to change into for P.E.
- Ash Wednesday - Mass hosted by 5th and 6th grade
- Mass hosted by 4th grade
- Spelling Lesson 18 Test
- Reading Quiz on "Everybody is Different, but the Same Too"
- Valentine's Day Exchange
- No School - Parent Teacher Conferences
Other upcoming events:
- Registration Opens for Current Families: February 1st - 26th
- No School February 15th and 16th
- Reading Logs will be due on Wednesday, February 17th
- Vocabulary Unit 10 Test; flash cards and workbook due on Thursday, February 18th
What are we learning this week?
- We are practicing our readings and roles for hosting Mass on Ash Wednesday.
- We are preparing our hearts and minds for the Lenten season.
- Spelling Lesson 18 focuses on noun suffixes that end in -ance and -ence.
- This week we are reading "Everybody is different, but the Same Too" and focusing on inferring conclusions and continuing to identify the theme of a story.
- There is a Reading Log this week.
- This week we are looking at the conditions that led to rise of kingship in Mesopotamia and tracing the development of writing back to the Sumerians.
- 6th Grade Math has started using variables to write algebraic expressions.
- 5th Grade Math is learning to simplify algebraic expressions with one variable.
Grandparents are interviewed by our children.
Our children compared and contrasted their experiences with our grandparents.
5th and 6th won against 7th and 8th grade at Bible Trivia!! Woo hoo!!
6th Grade had to work together during color wars!
5th grade had great cooperation skills during a color wars game!
Mrs. Scott was wrapped up by the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade students!