GMO's: Good or bad??
Benefits of Genetically Modified Foods
- Making crops and plants more immune to weeds, pests, and other diseases
- Less of a use of pesticides and herbicides
- Produces a larger yield making better use of space and fields more efficient
- Foods will have better texture, color, taste, and nutritional value
- Foods have a longer shelf life which makes it easier for shipping and retail
- Foods can help decrease hunger and malnutrition around the world
Consequences of Genetically Modified Foods
- The way the foods are genetically altered can cause dangerous side effects
- These GMO's can harm the environment
- Direct links to cancerous and degenerative diseases
- Increase certain food allergies and elevate reactions
- Such health complications caused by GMO's have gotten as bad as death
What is a GMO?
A GMO is a genetically modified organism. Sometimes known as a GMF, genetically modified food.
Should foods have to be labeled if they are genetically modified?
Batalion, Nathan. “50 HARMFUL EFFECTS OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED (GM) FOODS.” Raw Wisdom. Google, 2003. Web. 10 Mar. 2015. <http://www.raw-wisdom.com/50harmful.>.
Edwards, Terrell, et al. “Genetically Modified Foods.” UCSC EDU. N.p., 6 June 2005. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. <https://classes.soe.ucsc.edu/cmpe080e/Spring05/projects/gmo/index.htm>.