The Boutz Buzz
New Teacher, New Classroom, Same Awesome Kindergarteners
I'd like to begin by formally apologizing for not reaching out sooner. It has been a hectic two weeks getting settled in at Ridgeview, but it has been every bit worth it. I am very happy to be a part of such an incredible school and excited I am to have the opportunity to work with your child.
In just one week, I have already seen individual personalities and little quirks come out of these wonderful 5 and 6 year olds. I love learning from and about them every day. I can't wait to see how the rest of the year unfolds!
Some important notes for our NEW classroom:
Classroom Temperature Changes
- Our classroom temperature changes daily. With the outside temperature fluctuating back and forth, they have not turned on the heat yet. I've also been informed they have problems getting our room to match the school temperature because we are on the end, near a door, and have double windows. Therefore if you could please send a light jacket/sweater with your child everyday or have an extra to keep in the classroom at least until the heat gets turned on, your kiddos would appreciate it.
- In some of the students previous classrooms, they had stopped doing "quiet (nap) time" and have taken their towels home. However, many friends still have the towels and have been using them during quiet reading/work time just to have their own space on the floor. So if your student has taken their towel back home, please send it back with them soon so they do not feel left out from their peers. If you have a question as to whether your student has theirs at school, please send me an email. I have a list of those who need to bring one in.
- I am aware that each week the other kindergarten teachers sent home easy read books for the students based on the theme and I too, plan to send these. Therefore, you will receive extra easy-read books on Monday. I apologize for not getting those sent out this week.
- I do send home homework with the students. My plan is every other day (MWF). This is just to check for understanding without any help. These will be typically be a math worksheet from their journals, or some sort of sight word practice sheet.
- If you could please check their backpack and make sure it is getting completed. Also, try to allow them to do as much as possible before assisting them. This will help me in being able to see who needs help with specific subjects.
- *We did have a sight word matching worksheet for homework this weekend*
- I know many had signed up or expressed interest in coming in to help in the classroom with your child's previous teacher and I hope that this interest has not changed. Beginning so late into the semester, I still have a lot to do to catch up. If you have some time off and would like to come in to see your child work/help with some small things, I would appreciate it so much!
Once again, I would like to thank each of you for being so willing and understanding in this transition. Each and every one of them brings something different to our classroom and I love it! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email or call me.
Our Theme is Polar Express!!
- Our sight words are: of, look
- In Animated Literacy we are learning: IR is for Whirling Irving and Y is for Yakety Yak
- We will begin visualization.
- Continue work on Chapter 5, adding numbers to 10.
- Using manipulatives to show numbers 1-10. Show how two numbers work together to make a bigger number. For example, 2 red cubes and 5 yellow cubes make 7 cubes all together.
Dates to Remember
November 16- December 11: Book Angel Donations accepted in LMCNovember 25-27: Thanksgiving Break
November 30-December 4: 5th Grade Canned Food Drive
November 30: Book Orders due
December 1: Ms. Boutz' birthday (we will have a special treat)
December 3: KC Wolf Assembly
December 4: Polar Express Movie Day (wear your PJs)
8:30-9:00 Math Stations
9:30-9:45 Individual Reading
9:45-9:55 Restroom Break
10:15-10:35 Reader’s Workshop
10:35-11:10 Writer’s Workshop
11:35-11:45 Restroom Break
12:40-12:50 Restroom Break
12:50-1:20 Math (cont'd)
2:10-2:20 Restroom Break
2:20-2:30 Quiet Time/Individual Reading/Snack
2:30-2:50 Animated Literacy
2:50-3:10: Social Studies/Science/'Catch Up" time
3:10-3:15 Pack Up
3:15-3:35 Discovery Time
Please contact me with any questions or concerns.
In case of urgency/ weekend needs, my personal cell is 816-582-1585. I'm also a Millennial, which means I text. ;)