Hark! The Herald
Friday, August 23rd, 2019
“Work hard, be kind and amazing things will happen.” – Conan O’Brien
If there is one thing we want you all to reflect upon as you return to school next week, it is this,
“Work hard, be kind and amazing things will happen.” – Conan O’Brien
There have been many exciting changes to the school this summer- new teachers and school volunteers, changes to classroom spaces and the front office, fresh paint, a new sod install for the playground, and perhaps most exciting... NEW STUDENTS! God has blessed our school community in so may ways over the past year.
We are excited for the future and ask that you all be active, joyful participants in the school year ahead...amazing things will happen!
Don't Miss Our Back to School Event!
Stop by to pick up your student packets, meet your teachers, say hello to old and new friends, and enjoy a delicious ice cream treat from Kona Ice of NH to kick off our 2019-2020 school year!
We will be having an all-school assembly before ice cream so please visit your classrooms briefly, then make your way down to Rand Hall to collect your packets and Super Raffle tickets. We have new staff members to introduce, some exciting changes and information to share about the year ahead.
Afterwards, we will all go outside to enjoy some frozen treats together.
**We are excited to welcome into the SMS community several new families this year!
If you see an unfamiliar face, we encourage you to stop and introduce yourself.**
Important Dates and Reminders
For all you working parents- Yes, there will be Before and After Care the first two days of school! Drop off begins at 7:15 and pickup in the afternoon is available until 5:30pm for an additional charge.
Tuesday, August 27th at 6pm- Welcome Back Social
Thursday, August 29th at 8:15 am- First Day of School
Monday, September 2nd- Labor Day. NO SCHOOL
First Day of School : FAQ
- Uniforms! If you have dress code questions, please read below then feel free to contact the office or visit our website for details.
- We will gather outside. The faculty and staff will be outside to greet you at 8:15am on the first day of school. Please gather on the blacktop in front of the Youth Center for our opening day.
- Kindergarten and Preschool Families are invited to walk their children to class after our outdoor gathering.
- If you have classroom specific questions regarding the first day of school, please contact your child's classroom teacher.
- ***YES, there will be before care and after care on the first day of school, Thursday, August 29th.***
Daily School Routines
- PE is on Monday and Friday this year. Unless otherwise noted, please come in your PE uniforms on those days.
- Drop off is at 8:15 daily. If you arrive at school after 8:25, you are considered tardy and must stop by the office to check in before going to your classroom.
- Pick up is at 3:10 daily. Please meet your children outside on the blacktop by the Youth Center.
- School lunch can be ordered daily from your homeroom teacher or the office.
There is no "drop off" line at SMS. You MUST park to let your children disembark for school. Stopping in front of the door causes a back-up of traffic on Walnut Street, and in some cases causes others to be late. Please be conscientious and pull into a parking space to let your children out. Thank you!
URGENT! Have you finalized your Tuition Payment Plan?
If you have not arranged for tuition payment, please go here to setup your account for the year: https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3JB80.
Once you select your method of payment (1, 2 or 10 months) and setup your bank account information, I will send you a final payment schedule for your approval, before I give FACTS the green light to begin withdrawals.
If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office next week at 802.254.6320.
A new season is almost here and the SMS Saints have begun practicing for a successful season of incredible soccer.
- For those who signed up to play soccer, please confirm your interest and availability to play by sending your contact information to Coach Duchaney at email@example.com. Please include both a contact phone number and an email address. The email address is especially important as team communication will ordinarily be transmitted by email.
- For those high school students interested in playing soccer, but who have not signed up, please send your contact information to Coach Duchaney.
- Returning players: reach out to those students you believe have an interest and encourage them to play.
I am looking forward to a great soccer season.
Saint Michael School Soccer Schedule 2019
9/12/2019 BART home game at 4:00
9/17/2019 Charlemont away game at 3:30
9/19/2019 Putney home game at 4:00
9/24/2019 White Oak home game at 4:00
9/26/2019 Hartsbrook away game at 4:00
10/1/2019 PVCICS home game at 4:00
10/3/2019 Putney away game at 4:00
10/9/2019 Greenwood away game at 3:30
10/22/2019 Eagle Hill home game at 4:00
10/24/2019 White Oak away game at 4:00
10/29/2019 Quarter Finals
Please come out and cheer for our team!!!
Salvete, Amici Latinae! - (Hello, friends of Latin!)
As you know school is just around the corner, so it is time for a reminder to all Latin students to spend some time daily in making a review of the vocabulary, grammar and syntax that you have studied. If you have not already formed the habit of reviewing for 15-30 minutes a day, you will want to begin today. In the time that remains before school begins, careful review of nouns and adjectives, the declensions to which they belong, and their patterns of formation, together with the verb tenses, will shorten our in-class review and help to move us directly to new and interesting material.
So brush the dust off your Latin skills and polish them to a high gloss shine!
Saint Michael Catholic School generally observes three time periods of dress code requirements:
Fall Uniforms: First Day of School – October 1st
Winter Uniforms: October 2nd-April 30th
Spring Uniforms: May 1st – Last Day of School
We have made some changes to the uniform dress code and format this year. You should have received a copy in your packet, but here is a link to the most up to date version for your reference: SMS 2019/2020 Dress Code. No matter how you slice it, uniform policies are confusing so please contact us for any clarification.
- All students are now allowed to wear white OR NAVY polos during our Fall and Spring periods
- Elementary grade girls can now wear SMS plaid skirts and jumpers
- Girls in grades 6-12 are not permitted to wear jumpers
- Please review guidelines for fit. Baggy and tight fitting pants, such as skinny leg pants or leggings are not permitted as part of the uniform guidelines. Shorts, skirts and jumpers should be fingertip length or longer.
If you are in need of clothing for the new year, don't forget to shop Saint Mikes first! We received generous donations of gently used uniforms at the end of the year. The closet looks beautiful and organized, thanks to the ongoing volunteer help of the Boyd family, so we hope you will come check it out. Call or email ahead to make sure someone is in the office to help you.
Uniforms may be purchased from any clothing retailer, as long as the items comply with the school dress code.
Here are links to our uniform vendors:
Parent Volunteers Needed
We are so grateful for all of your help this past year! We look forward to having you participating in our classrooms, on field trips, behind the scenes with events, and simply sharing in your child's education for 2019-2020!
As we prepare for the school year to get underway, there are some tasks that could be done around the school as credit towards your Parent Volunteer Hours:
- **Be a greeter during our Welcome Back Event on Tuesday, August 27th.**
We are still looking for a family or two who are willing to stand at the door and welcome everyone in the building, providing directions and greeting new families... can you help?
- Clean up flower beds and weeding around school
- Can you give an hour each week or two to help out in our kitchen? It could be after you drop off your students, during the lunch hour, or before dismissal. Anything helps!
- Tell Us How You Would Like to Help Out?!
Is there anything else you need to know?
Is there a question you have about the dress code? The supply list you've received? Are you thinking ahead to an upcoming school event?
If you have a question, it's likely that someone else in our community does too, so please reach out to us. We can include any pertinent information in the next Hark newsletter.
Shop at smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0181252 and Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the Saint Michael Parish Charitable Trust.
We are here for you
Questions? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Please reach out. We LOVE to hear from our families!
If you are not already a friend of SMS on Facebook, please come join us! We will post school cancellations, fun photos and events that happen during the week that don't make it into the Hark! Please click this link, like and follow our page so you can continue to stay involved.