December 2022 updates from Mrs. Hight
December Classroom lessons
Younger students will be challenged to "walk in someone else's shoes" in order to help them begin to understand someone else's perspective and what they might be feeling in a given situation.
Our 4th and 5th grade students will be working on "Stempathy" projects. This combines STEM (science, technology,engineering and math) with empathy. Students will be given scenarios that describe a barrier a pretend student is experiencing. Then they will be challenged to create a product that would break down their barrier.
Developing empathy is a key step in your child's emotional growth and path to being a good friend, classmate and community member.
December is our opportunity to review the three pillars we covered this fall. Trustworthiness, Respect and Responsibility. Here is a reminder of what those pillars entail.
- Be honest. Don’t deceive, cheat, or steal.
- Have integrity. Do what you say you’ll do.
- Keep your promises.
- Be loyal. Stand by your values.
- Follow the Golden Rule.
- Be accepting of differences.
- Be courteous to others.
- Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements.
- Be considerate of others’ feelings.
- Do what you are supposed to do. Try your best.
- Persevere. Keep on trying.
- Be self-disciplined.
- Think before you act. Consider the consequences.
- Be accountable for your words, actions, and attitudes.