Kennedy Newsletter for Families
Greetings from the Kennedy Elementary Office!
This year has felt like a sprint if you ask me! Even though school started late, everything has been so different this year. I think we all need next week to catch our collective breath and prepare for the time between now and Thanksgiving! This is always an exciting time in an elementary school. The holiday season is right around the corner. It sure will be nice to have some things to celebrate!
With the Coronavirus spreading around our area, please make sure to wear your masks, wash your hands, and stay socially distant from others over Fall Break! We will get through this together!
This school and community are blessings in my life, and I hope you feel the same way. I am proud to say I love my job and the work we do. Thanks so much for partnering with us in your child's education. As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions or comments!
Enjoy your Fall Break!
Proud to serve you and the Lynn Garden Community,
Janice Irvin, Ed. D.
Face-to-Face and Remote Choice Learning Updates
- Ms. McMillan will return to face-to-face instruction on October 20, 2020. This will necessitate some changes to our current class rosters and teaming structure. We are excited about these changes because they will result in smaller class sizes and increased academic support for our students.
- Ms. Jennifer Fielden will rejoin us as a 5th grade math team teacher with Ms. Bethany Paupeck.
- Ms. Julie Whitaker will remain as a Remote Choice Teacher for Kindergarten.
Flu Shots at Kennedy
Please call the Kingsport Health Department for more information!
Join our PTA!
Be looking for papers from the PTA on the following:
- Rada Fundraiser (This is always a great way for our PTA to make money and support our students. I've purchased the dip mixes, food, and cutlery and it's all amazing!
- PTA Membership - It only costs $5 to join and your membership supports our Coyotes!
- Gift Baskets/Raffle - Be on the look out for info coming home about an awesome basket full of great stuff being auctioned off by our PTA! If you have a local business and would like to contribute, let us know! We'll include your name and business in the next Family Newsletter.
- Our PTA Meeting Date/Time to be announced soon!
Kennedy is a Bully-Free Zone! #CoyotesAreKind
Students can use P3 Campus to report: assault, bullying, cyberbullying, fighting, suicide concerns, drugs, alcohol, weapons or other types of dangerous situations that threaten their safety or the safety of others for the purpose of prevention and intervention.
Reporting can be done via the school or district websites (click the light bulb icon on the homepage), P3 Campus mobile app, going to P3Campus.com, or by scanning the QR code on posters in schools.
P3 Campus is one more part of our continuous efforts to improve school and student safety. Please encourage your student to use this potentially life saving technology when needed to better our schools and community.
This year is different than any other year we have had together. Here are a few things to be looking for in your email:
Date TBA - Book Fair online this year (We get a portion of the profits!! Yay!)
Date TBA - PTA Meeting at 12:00 noon Via Zoom at JFK
October 12-16 Fall Break (No School)
October 19 - Teacher In-service Day (No School)
October 27 - Picture Day (Say Cheese!) - RCL Vitual Students will be scheduled in the afternoon after Face-to-Face students are finished.
Things we sure will miss this year...
Things we'll miss this year: Spooky Literacy Night, Fall Festival, and our Thankful Meal :(
HOPEFULLY, next year everything will be back to normal.
When progress monitoring indicates that the intervention is no longer needed, the child continues to receive support from the general education curriculum (Tier I). When progress monitoring shows that a child is not responding to the intervention, another approach or intervention may be tried. If a higher level of support is needed, students may be given more intense intervention that further focuses on the supporting skills they need to be successful learners (Tier lll). Students who do not respond to Tier III interventions may be referred for special education.
Students receiving Tier II or Tier III interventions will take home a letter every 4 1/2 weeks to let their families know how they are progressing.
Here are a few ways parents can support what their child is doing in school:
- Make reading an everyday habit a home
- Communicate with your child’s teacher
- Monitor and assist with homework assignments
- Review progress monitoring data
- Share your child’s successes
- Learn more about the curricula and interventions being used in your child’s school
- Attend parent/teacher conferences and other school meeting about your child
Talk to your child’s teacher or principal for more information about how RTI² is being implemented in your child’s school.
For more information, please contact:
Brett Herron, Associate Principal
email@example.com or 857-2700
**** Kennedy Office Staff ****
Ms. Kem Padgett - Award Winning KCS Secretary
Ms. Kim Oaks-Blair - School Counselor
Dr. Janice Irvin - Principal
We hope you find this permanent section helpful! Please let us know if we can clarify anything for you.
Attendance, Absences, and Tardiness
Flowers, balloons, etc. should not be sent to the office for students. Please give these sweet gifts at home.
Breakfast and Lunch Programs
Ice-cream day is Friday and must be purchased ($1)
Healthy chips can also be purchased ($1)
Per school policy, students cannot bring fast food in the cafeteria. Please have your student eat his/her meal prior to arriving at school.
The number to the transportation garage is 392-4416, if needed.
- During AM drop off, please stay in your car and allow your child to exit independently.
- During AM drop off, please unload at all 4 numbers/lanes. No need to stop at the bottom of the hill.
- During AM drop off, students can walk into the cafe from 7:30-8:05.
- In the afternoons, 4th and 5th grade cars (side parking lot) please turn RIGHT after you pick-up.
- In the afternoons, PLEASE USE YOUR CAR TAG! :) There is often a glare and I cannot see faces until you are right beside me. This helps our line move as quickly as possible.
857-2700 - Main Office
857-2704 - Cafe, Karen Mullins
857-2702 -Nurse Lundy
1500 Woodland Avenue
Kingsport, TN 37665
H- Helping Others
O- Overcoming Challenges
W- Willingness to Learn
L- Leading with Respect
Hear us HOWL!
In addition to these expectations we use Positive Discipline with Lifeskills at Kennedy Elementary. We know that a part of growing our students as leaders includes citizenship and character. We believe our students are the best in Tennessee.
Kennedy Family Lifeskills for Reference
Kennedy Family Positive Discipline Reference
Positive Discipline really boils down to discipline that is kind and firm. We focus on fixing the behavior, not necessarily punishment. It's based on respect and character building.
Health and Medical
Additionally, we have a tele-medicine program where a child can be seen via a camera and equipment in Nurse Lundy's office. They can receive antibiotics through this program if needed! We encourage you to use this program! It's awesome!
Lost and Found
Opportunities for Coyotes
AM Tutoring (5th Grade)
Big Brothers Big Sisters (all grades)
Breakfast Club (for students with sensory needs)
Chorus (all grades)
DBYes (DB student mentors)
HOWLers (Boys, 4th and 5th)
Kiwanis Club Readers (volunteers)
RTI - Response to Intervention (time set aside to catch up academically)
Ladies of Lynn Garden (Girls 4th and 5th)
Maker Space (only one in a KCS elementary school!)
Morning Mile (Coach Robbins - 7:45-8:00)
Speech Services (for qualifying students)
Spelling Bee (3rd, 4th, and 5th)
Our KCS Website can be found here: https://www.k12k.com/
Zoning and Tuition
If you have any questions feel free to contact Alisa Strong (firstname.lastname@example.org) via email or by calling (423)378-2100.
Approvals are based on: Attendance, Behavior, and Classroom Space
Our vision, our students, our community, our future!
Highlights - more pictures can be found on Twitter! @KCS_Kennedy