The VTHS Message September 2019
From Your Vernon Township High School Administrative Team
IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!
Vernon Township High School will open its doors for the 2019-2020 school year
on Wednesday, September 4, 2019!
We will operate on an Early Dismissal Schedule for the first three days of school;
students will be dismissed at 11:20 am.
We look forward to working with your children (again) this year.
Welcome to Vernon Township High School!
We're delighted that you have chosen Vernon Township High School for your child's high school educational experience and promise to work diligently to ensure that 2019-2020 will be a wonderful school year for your child.
Each month we will try to bring you up-to-date information so you will be able to partner with us. Thank you for taking the time to read our monthly messages.
Vernon Township High School's 2019 Back-to-School Night
The Vernon Township High School Back-to-School Night is scheduled for the second day of school--Thursday, September 5th--beginning at 6:30 pm. The evening will begin with a greeting from the VTHS administrative team in the auditorium, immediately followed by first period.
Throughout the evening, the VTHS SCA will have a table set up in the main hallway to give you information about joining their organization.
We will also have a representative from Project Self-Sufficiency at the school for your convenience.
Please bring a copy of your child's schedule with you so you can follow it during the evening.
During your child's scheduled lunch period, please visit the cafeteria for some light refreshments.
If you need to speak to one of us that evening, please stop by the main office and we will be happy to assist you. The evening is scheduled to conclude at 9:00 pm.
We hope to see all of you at our 2019 Back-to-School Night!
Social and Emotional Learning
The VTHS School and Community Association
Share the Keys Presentations
In conjunction with the Vernon Township Police Department and the Vernon Township Board of Education, we are proud to announce our new Safe Driving Initiative for the 2019-2020 school year.
Our first presentation on Tuesday, August 27th was a great success, with over 250 students and parents/guardians in attendance. The program was well-received and at its conclusion, each student in attendance received a certificate, which must be presented when applying for a VTHS parking pass.
There are still two more opportunities to attend a Share the Keys presentation. Please see the letter and flyer below for further details.
Student safety is of our utmost concern and students driving on campus poses potential hazards to our students, staff, and visitors.
We believe that attending this program with your child will help instill a sense of importance and responsibility that comes with sitting behind the wheel, whether driving to campus or anywhere else.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation!
Some Details about Everyday Life at VTHS
Here are a few reminders of some of the high school arrival procedures:
- All students who drive to and/or dropped off at school may enter the school via the main front doors ONLY beginning at 6:45 am.
- Students must go directly to the cafeteria upon entering the building. There they can purchase breakfast, eat something they have brought from home, complete homework, and/or just gather with friends. When the 7:05 am bell rings, they may go to their lockers and to their first period classes.
- As the buses arrive, seniors may enter the building (prior to the 7:05 am bell).
- All other students will be dismissed from the buses at 7:05 am (when the bell rings) and may purchase breakfast in the cafeteria or at one of the breakfast kiosks, which will be located throughout the school. Students should then go to their lockers and proceed to first period.
- Students will proceed to homeroom/first period when the warning bell rings at 7:14 am. Homeroom/First Period will begin at 7:17 am.
- After the first period bell rings, breakfasts will not be sold. Students may eat breakfast during period 1--or period 2 if period 1 is a physical education class.
- Weather permitting, we will be unlocking the doors to the "courtyards," which join one wing to another; this will save some steps and provide students with a few minutes of fresh air and sunshine between classes!
Some Important Information...
Our students will begin school on Wednesday, September 4th and we will be operating on an Early Dismissal Schedule. Students will be dismissed at 11:20 am on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the first week.
This year, we will be asking you to use the VTHS Calendar, located on the VTSD website for the most up-to-date information each month.
We will be dismissing school 5 minutes earlier each day as compared to last year. Buses will depart from VTHS at 2:00 pm on regular dismissal days.
The only after-school buses available for students this year will be departing VTHS at 5:30 pm.
The all-new VTHS Student Center is located in the lower library and is a work in progress. We look forward to developing it throughout the year with our staff and students!
"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear,
an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring,
all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
Thank you for choosing Vernon Township High School for your child's high school education.
We look forward to working with you and your child during the 2019-2020 school year.
If we may be of assistance to you or your child, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.