MILITARY LIFE IN SPARTA
- In Sparta, boys started training for war at the age of seven years old to go to the barracks. They finally joined the normal army at the age of twenty.
- Every day the military ate foul tasting meal called "Black Broth" which was made of: pork boiled in animal blood with salt and vinegar in the dinning halls.
- All of the men returned back home at the age of thirty to start a family, but had to stay in the military until they were sixty.
- In war the men would rather die than surrender, like one mother told her son "Come home carrying your shield, or being carried on it."
GOVERNMENT IN SPARTA
- Sparta's government was run as a oligarchy meaning two kings headed the council.
- The council was made up of 28 citizen men over the age of 60.
- Every Spartan man over the age of 30, joined the assembly. The assembly was in charge of voting on the councils laws and chose 5 people to be ephors for every year.
- Ephors were the people that enforced the laws and collected taxes from each citizen.
- The government did not allow any one or anybody in or out of Sparta. They did this to keep anybody from criticizing the Spartan's system of government.