December 14, 2020
Dear King Families
After such a beautiful day today, it's hard to believe that a major Nor'easter is headed our way, bringing significant snow. When it comes to the weather in New England, we need to be prepared for anything!
Just a reminder that this Thursday, 12/17, is an Early Release Day for parent conferences. Please reach out to your child(ren)'s teacher(s) if you have any questions.
This week's King Connections includes:
* A Message from Ms. Feynman- STEAM Coach
* Roary's PAWsitive News
* Learning Materials Distribution
* Grab and Go Food Distribution
* FPS Family Newsletter link
* December's Character Education Theme: RESPONSIBILITY
* Link to FPS Travel Advisory and Massachusetts Travel Updates During Covid
* Dates to Remember
Please be sure to utilize the district tech website if you are having any tech issues.
Please note: The district has created this "Return to Learn" page that includes timely planning updates and resources for families.
A Message from Ms. Feynman- STEAM Coach
The Great Conjunction: Don't miss this once in 800 yrs Astronomical Event
On December 21st, which is also called the Winter Solstice, an amazing event will happen in the night sky that has not occurred for 800 years and will not occur again for another 400 years. This event is called The Great Conjunction. The Great Conjunction is when the planets, Jupiter and Saturn will be aligned, which means they are in a straight line, and they will appear very close in the sky. It's best to view it right after sunset.
Here's a video that tells you how to see it
Here's an article from Earth Sky that includes a picture of what to look for
Here's an article from NPR with background information
IMPORTANT REMINDER- Learning materials distribution for K, 2, 4, and 5 on Friday!
On Friday, December 18th, we will be distributing additional important learning materials to Kindergarten, 2nd, 4th, and 5th grade students. These learning bags will have some essential instructional materials that teachers will ask students to access during lessons, such as specific content graphic organizers, manipulatives, books, journals, etc., so we ask that you do your best to come by at one of the 2 windows of time to pick up the individualized bags.
Additionally, if you wish to return any library. classroom books, we will be able to collect those as well.
We will be distributing items at the rear of the building at Door 18 near the playground.
We will offer two windows of time in order to accommodate your busy schedules to the best of our ability:
GRAB-AND-GO MEAL PICK-UP EXPANDS FROM FOUR SITES TO ALL FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS! Click HERE for More Information!
ParentTeacherOrganization Join our WebSite
Do you want to be able to connect with other parents in your child's classroom? Are you interested in volunteering at a PTO event? Do you want to buy tickets or register for PTO Events? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then visit http://www.kingpto.com today and join the school directory!
Any questions emails firstname.lastname@example.org
December's Character Education Theme of the Month is RESPONSIBILITY
Definition: Doing your best and being accountable for your words and actions.
“I” Statement: I take ownership of my learning and behavior.
* What does it look like and sound like to take responsibility for your actions?
* What are some of the responsibilities you have that are easy?
* What are some responsibilities that are more challenging?
* How are your responsibilities different during remote learning?
Some Book Titles about Responsibility:
* The Paperboy: Dav Pilkey
* What if Everybody Did That?: Ellen Javernick
* Officer Buckle & Gloria: Peggy Rathmann (Available in Spanish)
* Strega Nona: An Old Tale: Tomie DePaola
* The Bad Seed: Jory John
* The Lorax: Dr. Seuss (Available in Spanish)
* Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse: Kevin Henkes (Available in Spanish)
* No, David! : David Shannon (Available in Spanish)
* The Mitten: Jan Brett* Sid the Homeless Hermit Crab: Stacey Marie Johnston (Available in Portuguese)
Here is a link that may be helpful to keep up with which states are allowable for travel at a given time.
King School Hours
School Hours 9:05am - 3:20pm
Early Release Days
- Students who are learning remotely are dismissed at 12:00pm. Students who are learning in-person are dismissed at 12:55pm. Lunch IS served.
- Early Release Thursdays: 12/17/20, 1/7/21, 1/14/21, 3/11/21, 4/29/21, 5/6/21, 5/13/21, 5/20/21, 5/27/21
- Students are dismissed at 12:00pm.
- Lunch IS NOT served.
- Half Days: 11/25 and the last day of school.