John Dalton's Theory of the Atom
What was right? What was wrong?
His Five Facts About the Atom.
John Dalton deduced 5 facts about the atoms.
1. All matter consists of tiny particles.
2. Atoms cannot be destroyed or changed.
3. Elements are characterized by the mass of their atoms.
4. When elements react the atoms combine into whole number ratios.
5. Sometimes the elements would combine in different ways, sometimes creating new compounds.
What was Wrong with his Theory?
There were two flaws in Daltons Atomic Theory.
1. Atoms can be divided.
2. Not all elements have the same mass. These are called Isotopes.