August 27, 2021
Called to More is the faith theme that we will be integrating through out the school year. We are called to be more.
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year.
The staff at Madonna are looking forward to your children coming to school!
Due to COVID-19, the operations in the school have changed. The safety of your child and the staff is the number one priority! We will be continuing with many of the protocols that were in place last year. A few adjustments to the protocols are noted below.
We believe that the BEST PLACE for your child is in school in front of a teacher. We want to keep our school open and safe for your children and the staff.
To my dismay, parents will not be allowed to come into the school at this time. Parents will only be allowed in the school if they have an appointment. We want to keep Madonna School very safe at this time, as the numbers of the variant is rising.
Please note we will be adjusting protocols during the school year as we respond to what is happening in the community with Covid.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Mrs. Antoniuk
ELK ISLAND CATHOLIC SCHOOLS' SAFETY PLAN
EICS is committed to maintaining for the start of the 2021/2022 school year:
- enhanced cleaning and disinfecting including; daily cleaning for all areas of the school, washrooms and high-touch surface areas cleaned several times a day;
- regularly scheduled deep cleaning when students are not present;
- enhanced cleaning protocol with healthcare grade system that kills human coronavirus;
- stay-at-home policy for any students or staff exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19;
- physical distancing maximization within the confines of a classroom; hand hygiene / respiratory etiquette
- daily screening following the Alberta Health Daily Check
The following actions will continue:
- students and staff should screen daily for symptoms using the Alberta Health Daily Checklist
- isolate if they have core COVID-19 symptoms or test positive
- follow best practices to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses
EICS will review our plan on September 27th, 2021, in accordance with the Chief Medical Officer of Health’s scheduled update. The health, safety and well-being of our students and staff will always remain our first priority.
Health and Safety Measures for September 2021 Vaccines
● All eligible staff and students are encouraged to be fully vaccinated for respiratory illnesses, where applicable, such as COVID-19 and influenza.
● Enhanced cleaning protocols will continue. This includes regular cleaning and disinfection of high touch surfaces, regular scheduled deep cleaning when students are not present with our healthcare grade system.
● Physical distancing is encouraged within the confines of a classroom.
● Schools are implementing a 2-day staggered entry. This allows a focus on new routines and classroom protocols regarding covid. Hand Hygiene
● Hand washing/sanitizing will continue to be part of daily routines, as per the Guidance for Respiratory Illness Prevention and Management in Schools.https://open.alberta.ca/publications/guidance-for-respiratory-illness-prevention-and-management-in-schools
● Hand sanitizer will continue to be available throughout the school and at all entryways. Respiratory Etiquette Pre-K to Grade 3 Students and Staff.
● Masks are strongly recommended when physical distancing is not possible and in common areas (hallways, bathrooms, ) where classroom cohorts are often intermingled.
● Masks are mandatory on the school bus
Responding to Illness Symptomatic Students and Staff
● Before coming to school, students and staff must screen daily for any new signs or symptoms of Covid-19 using the Alberta Health Daily Checklist.
● Anyone with new onset or worsening symptoms of COVID-19 are not to attend school and are directed by Alberta Health to stay home, seek health care advice and fill out the AHS Online Assessment tool to determine if they should be tested for COVID-19.
● Should a student develop symptoms of illness at school, parents will be notified and advised to pick up their child as soon as possible. Confirmed cases of COVID-19
● Parents/guardians are encouraged to notify school administrators of a positive COVID-19 test result. All reporting continues to be confidential.
● Staff and students who test positive for COVID-19 are required to isolate for a minimum of 10 days.
● At the direction of the Chief Medical Officer of Health, AHS will no longer notify close contacts of potential COVID-19 exposure at school.
School Operations School Activities
● School operations and activities will resume as normal.
● Masks are required for all students and staff on school busses.
● Continued cleaning of high-touch surfaces will occur.
● Before entering the school, visitors must screen for any signs or symptoms of Covid-19 using the Alberta Health Daily Checklist.
● Parents, visitors are permitted to enter the school provided there is a valid reason. Gatherings of outside of classrooms or hallways are not to occur. At Madonna, we ask parents not to come into the school unless they have an appointment.
● All parents, volunteers, and guests are required to wear masks while in our schools.
Mental Health and Well-Being
● Support for students and parents can be found on our website. School support teams will continue to be available to students, staff and families within Elk Island Catholic Schools.
Parents please print off the Alberta Health Daily Checklist and put on your fridge. Please screen your child before sending them to school.
First Day of School
Masks are strongly recommended for all students and staff. We recommend that you send two masks per day.
Your child will be entering and exiting through their classes doors. Students and parents are to wait at the designated area outside for their child's teacher.
Please note that parents will wait outside the school in the designated area for their child's teachers. Parents will NOT be coming into the building. Your child's teacher will explain to you the area where you will be able to drop off and pick up your child before and after school and other general information.
Your child's teacher will be contacting you via email on or before September 1, with very specific welcome information.
School starts September 1st, 2021. The start-up will be staggered.
Grade 1 to Grade 4
Students with last names A-M are to come to school on September 1, 8:30 - 3:15
Students with last names N-Z are to come to school on September 2, 8:30 - 3:15
September 3 FIRST DAY for ALL grade 1 to grade 4 students to come to school.
- Sept 1 9:00 to 11:00 M/W students with last name A-M
- Sept 1 1:00 to 3:00 M/W students with last name N-Z
- Sept 2 9:00 to 11:00 T/TH students with last name A-M
- Sept 2 1:00 to 3:00 T/TH students with last name N-Z
Pathways Kindergarten 5 yr olds
- Sept 3 9:00 to 11:00 as per communication sent home
3/4 yr old PUF Pathways students
- Specific communication was sent to you regarding your child's start day.
PLEASE NOTE THAT PARENTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED INTO THE SCHOOL AT THIS TIME.
YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER WILL GREET YOU AND YOUR CHILD AT THEIR DESIGNATED ENTRANCE.
Bell times, Calendars, Entry and Exit Procedures
The first bell rings at 8:35 am.
Attendance is at 8:40 am.
School is over at 3:15. On early dismissal days school is over at 2:15. Early dismissal is usually the first operating Wednesday of the Month. Please pay close attention to the school calendar. See the MCS school website for calendars. https://mcs.eics.ab.ca/about/calendar
Students will enter and exit the school via their designated entrance. In the morning, students are to wait outside at their classes' designed color markers. Teachers will be there at 8:30 am to greet students. All teachers will meet their class of students outside at the designated area every morning.
Parents are to pick up their children at their child's zone at 3:15. Please communicate to your child's teacher how your child will be coming to and leaving school.
Students who are taking the bus will go directly to the bus at the end of the day.
Kindergarten Mrs. Fortier- - PINK marker outside the MAIN entrance
PATHWAYS Students Mrs. Fortier - PINK marker outside the MAIN entrance
3/4 yr old PUF - Mrs. Pineau - PINK marker outside the MAIN entrance
Gr. 1 Mrs. Forslund - Entrance at the Back YELLOW marker
Gr. 1 Mrs. Noel - Entrance at the Back RED marker
Gr. 2 Miss Salsbury- Entrance at the Back- BLUE marker
Gr. 3 Miss Gauthier Side Entrance PURPLE marker
Gr. 2/3 Mrs. Hunt Entrance Side Entrance - GREEN marker
Gr. 4 Miss Podoborozny Side Entrance - ORANGE marker
All Wheelchair access is at the Main / Front entrance. Your child will be greeted at the entrance by a staff member.
All Teachers will meet their class of students and parents outside at the designated area every morning. Teachers will be there at the end of the day too, until all students are picked.
Parents if you are running late please call the school and your child will be waiting at the front office inside. Ring the front door bell.
Students on buses will be directed out to buses.
Please see Map below for the entrances.
Class Cohorts, Recess, Bathrooms, Handwashing
At recess, students will be able to play with all of the students in their grade level. For example, both classes of grade 1 students will be able to play together at recess.
Gr. 1, Gr. 2 will use → Bathroom 119 & 116 - 3 students per bathroom
Pathways, K, Gr. 2/3 and Gr. 4 use --> Bathroom 128 & 130 -3 students per bathroom
Gr. 3 will use the bathroom in their classroom.
Handwashing and sanitizing will be done upon entry and exit of the school. Frequently in their classroom, between activities, before and after phys ed, before and after eating. Students will sanitize their own desks after they eat lunch and at the start/end of the school day.
Grade 2. Grade 2/3 and Grade 3 students have recess at 9:45 - 10:00. All grade 2 and 3 students will be considered one cohort at recess only.
Grade 1 and Grade 4 have recess at 10:15 - 10:30. Students will be cohorted by grade for recess only. The grade 1's will only play with the grade 1's and the grade 4's will only play with the grade 4's. The schoolyard will be divided into 2 zones and classes will rotate through the zones.
Kindergarten, Pathways students will play outside at various times during the day in their play zone area.
Each class has their own playground equipment. The equipment is colour coded. In example, the grade 2's playground equipment is blue and the grade 3's is purple.
*Lunch Rotation, OUTSIDE LUNCH RECESS and INSIDE LUNCH
All students will sanitize their hands before and after outdoor recess, and before and after eating.
Grade 1, Grade 4
12:00 - 12:30 go outside for lunch recess
These grades do not mix, they will play in a designated zone.
Students only play with students in their grade
The playground area the students play in will rotate daily.
Each class has their own set of colour-coded playground equipment.
12:30 - 1:00 are inside to eat lunch.
Students eat lunch in their own classroom.
Grade 2, Grade 2/3 and Grade 3
12:00 - 12:30 inside to eat lunch.
Students eat lunch in their designated classrooms.
Students will sanitize their own desks after eating lunch and they will wash their hands before and after eating
12:30 - 1:00 outside for lunch recess
All grade 2, grade 2/3 and grade 3 students can play together
*Programming Status* Phys ED, Music and FLEX
Physical Education - Mrs. Phelan and Mrs. Pineau will be teaching Physical Education and they are responsible for the cleaning and rotation of all equipment.
The sports equipment will be cleaned after each use.
Miss Podoborozny will be teaching music to grade 3 and grade 4.
Flex Programming -
Your Child's TEACHER / Communication
Each class will have a Google Classroom, teachers will be communicating school assignments, agenda's and announcements through the Google Classroom
Please check it regularly.
If you have any questions and concerns please do not hesitate to contact your child's teacher.
Medical Support Plans and EPI PENS
Does your child have medical information or a condition the school should be aware of or require medication?
If so please complete a B2.) Medical Status Update/Request for Medical Treatment Plan located in your Parent Portal under SchoolEngage Student Forms on the left. Then choose Student and a new Medical Form will be available for you to complete. This form is required annually.
Please note: the submission of a Medical Form is required prior to medication being sent to the school.
Does your child require an EPIPEN? EICS Policy requires students to have it /wear it on their person. Order your FREE waist-pack holder by clicking on this link https://www.epipen.ca/order-your-free-epipen-essential
Please contact the school office if you any questions.
COVID - 19 Learning Disruption
Literacy and Numeracy are 2 key areas where younger children appear to be experiencing greater challenges due to COVID-19-related learning disruptions. Due to this, we will be offering targeted small group sessions in literacy and numeracy for Grades 1 to 3 students who are assessed as needing additional support. More information will be coming out about this shortly.
Access to the Playground structure.
The playground structure is closed before and after school, there is no supervision at this time. If you want your child to play on the equipment after school, you will be required to supervise your own children.
Please do not send food to school with Nuts. Many students have Nut allergies. Please let your children know that they are NOT to share food. They are to eat only the food that they bring to school.
Madonna School Staff
AdministrationPrincipal: Mrs. K. Antoniuk
Assistant Principal: Mrs. K. Phelan
Office Secretary: Mrs. Roberts
Chaplin: Miss K. Gauthier
Learning Collaborative Response Coordinator: Miss. A. Winunow
Family Wellness Worker: Ms. A. Norrie
Intervention: Miss. K. Podoborozny
Pathways 3/4 yr old PUF Mrs. T. Pineau
Kindergarten & Pathways Mrs. M. Fortier
Grade 1 Mrs. K. Forslund
Grade 1 Mrs. K. Noel
Grade 2 Miss. K. Salsbury
Grade 2/3 Mrs. K. Hunt
Grade 3 Mrs. K. Gauthier
Grade 4 Miss Podoborozny
Miss. T. Arbuckle
Ms. C. Bennett
Ms. J. Mcrobert
Mrs. M. Robinson
Ms. K. Visagie
Ms. D. Wispinski
Day Time: Mr. G. Hample
Evening: Mrs. K. Crosbie
Up Coming Events
1 - Staggered Entry Students with Last Name A-M attend only
2 - Staggered Entry students with Last Name N-Z attend only
3 - ALL students attend school
4 - NO School Labour Day Weekend
8 - EARLY Dismissal School is out at 2:15 pm
9 - Virtual Meet the Teacher -->
24 - Terry Fox Run
30 - Orange Shirt Day