Kingsley ES Principal Newsletter
February 12, 2023
"Building the Leader in Me"
Thank You KES Families, Staff, and Students
It’s amazing to see that the end of the school year arrived so quickly. I have so much to be thankful for:
- Thank you parents and guardians for your continuous support throughout this school year.
- I can’t say thank you enough to our amazing PTO and community partners. Your contributions to Kingsley is as always appreciated. Your willingness to donate your time and resources to make memorable experiences for our teachers and students is always appreciated.
- Teachers, thank you for providing engaging, well-rounded experiences for our students and knowing that education is about imagining and fostering curiosity, along with development of social skills so needed for our students to succeed. Your flexibility and ability to multitask while working with a limited staff is appreciated.
- To my 5th grade leaders, go and be awesome as you prepare for the next chapter at your new school. Don’t forget about us.
- To all of my students, I will miss each of you! I wish you a safe and healthy summer. Please take some time and engage in some educational activities, but most of all have a fun filled summer!
Have a wonderful and safe summer,
Dr. Tyra Harris- Thompson
Here's Our Week-at-a-Glance:
5/22 - 2023 Senior C/O 2023 Walk 9:00 AM
5/22 - End of the Year Celebration - 1st Grade - 1:30 PM , 2nd Grade 1:00 PM , & 3rd Grade 12:30 PM
5/22 - 5th Grade Picnic 11:30 AM
5/23 - 5th Grade Ceremony 11:00 AM
5/24 - Last Day for Students
*Wednesday - 5/24 (student's last full day)
- No book bags
- Please pick up medicine from the Nurse Nobels by 1:00 PM
- Make sure all library books have been returned
May KES Shout-Outs
Congratulations to Ms. Sexton for completing her Master's Program!! 🎉
Congratulations to Dr. Phyllis Ingram for completing her Doctoral Program!! 🎉
Thank you, PTO, parents, and partners for all of your donations and your time during Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week. It was a HUGE success! The teachers and staff shared how much they felt loved and appreciated. ❤️💙
Kudos to Dr. Hamilton for making 2023 Career Day a success. Students were able to hear from professionals from all different backgrounds. ❤️💙
Our in-house field day turned out great! The students had a wonderful time!! A shout out to Coach James and the entire field day team for making this a great day for students. Thank you, parents, community partners, and PTO for assisting with the Tie Dye t-shirts for our field day. ❤️💙
Last week was a busy week with award day programs and end of year class parties. We have another busy three days of class parities and our 5th Grade Promotion Celebration Ceremony.
- A big shout out to Dr. Hamilton for organizing and ordering the certificates and awards for the awards day programs. I also would like to thank all the staff that assisted with the awards day programs. It takes a village.....❤️💙.
- Shout out to Ms. Jackson, Mr. Cobbs, Mrs. Ramos, and Dr. Gedward for a great Awards Day Program and end of the year celebration for their classes. ❤️💙
- The Butterfly Kindergarten Ceremony was beautiful! Thank you, Ms. Phillips, Mrs. Labonte, Ms. Smith, Ms. Bloom, Mr. Asher, and Ms. Spurling. ❤️💙
- Thank you, Ms. Rocky for our weekly One School, One Book trivia questions and for posting our weekly chapters on ClassDojo. We enjoyed reading the book together as a community. ❤️💙
- Thank you to our Yearbook Signing Team (parents and staff). The students loved our first yearbook signing day. ❤️💙
❤️💙 Great Things are Happening at KES ❤️💙
Kindergarten Butterfly Ceremony
Ms. Jackson's Awards Day Ceremony
Mrs. Ramos's Awards Day Ceremony & EOY Celebration
KES Career Day 2023
Mrs. Jenkins' Retirement Celebration
KLT Spring Retreat 2023
Mrs. Klingensmith's Dedication
Celebrating 50 Years - KES Birthday Bash Memories
Be sure to click on the 360 video (image) in the link. It is so amazing!! 😍
Now Hiring Kingsley Elementary Teachers and Staff
Do you want to be a part of a team that is making a positive impact on students' lives? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you! We are currently opening our teacher and staff search for the 2023-2024 school year. We are looking for individual teachers and staff who are passionate about our mission of educating all students in a centered environment. The requirements for all positions are posted online. Candidates must complete an online application with Dekalb County School District.
If you are, or if you know of anyone, interested in a position at KES, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
May Students and Parents Calendar (English and Spanish)
FALL 2023 PRINCIPAL'S ADVISORY COUNCIL (PAC) CANDIDATE DECLARATION WINDOW IS OPEN
The candidate declaration window for Fall 2023 Principal Advisory Council (PAC) elections will be open through 5:00pm, August 25, 2023. Complete the appropriate candidate declaration form using the links below to run for a position on your school's PAC.
PARENT REGISTRATION: https://www.bigpulse.com/179344/register
PARENT REGISTRATION (ADDITIONAL LANGUAGES): https://form.jotform.com/230888535249165
Principal Advisory Councils (PACs) bring parents, school employees, students and community members together to create a better understanding of and mutual respect for each other's perspectives and share ideas for increasing student achievement and performance.
What is the role of the Principal Advisory Council (PAC)?
- Act as a link between the school and the community
- Encourage the engagement of parents and other stakeholders within the school community
- Work to increase student achievement through transparent operations and shared best practices
- Review the Continuous School Improvement Plan and monitor progress toward goals
- Participate in the selection of the school principal
To learn more about the work of Principal Advisory Councils, visit: http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/principal-advisory-councils.
2022-2023 KES School and District Calendars
2022-2023 STUDENT/PARENT HANDBOOK
A comprehensive student/parent handbook is attached below that outlines our school policies and procedures.
***Please download the handbook using the attachment below and save it to refer to throughout the school year.
WHO TO CONTACT WHEN QUESTIONS ARISE
Please review and save the list below so you are aware who to contact when questions arise.
Direct questions regarding the following items to the people below.
- Membership Toolkit - Mrs. Meredith Alberto & Mrs. Erin Nusnbaum : email@example.com
- School Spirit Wear - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family ID Hang tags - Mrs. Marian Bari : email@example.com
- Reporting your child's absence from school - email your child's homeroom teacher AND our school registrar, Mrs. Regina Alicea: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Changes in transportation - email your child's homeroom teacher AND our school secretary, Mrs. Alicea: email@example.com . This must be done by 10am!
- Questions about school lunch - email our cafeteria manager, Mrs. Catalina Moreno-Ortega: firstname.lastname@example.org
- General questions pertaining to your child's class - email your child's homeroom teacher
- Questions regarding gifted eligibility - email our gifted teacher, Mrs. Bari: email@example.com
- Questions related to school counseling - email our school counselor: Dr. Marilyn Hamilton: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to After School Program - please contact our director Mrs. Pamela Jones: email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to our after school tutorial program - email Ms. Phyllis Ingram firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to grades - email our Assistant Principal, Ms. Shayna Bishop email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to class schedules, progress reports, and report cards - email our Assistant Principal, Ms. Bishop firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to districtwide assessments (MAP, CogAT, GA Milestones, ACCESS) - email our School Test Coordinator/Assistant Principal, Ms. Bishop email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to School Wide operations - email Dr. Harris-Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Breakfast and lunch are served each day of school. Please review the flyer below for more information.
****Please note: Breakfast and Lunch are not free this school year.
Information about meal applications and meal payments can be found at the link below.
Breakfast and lunch menus can always be found on this website: https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/school-nutrition/menus/
Please contact our Cafeteria Manager if you have questions: Mrs. Catalina Moreno-Ortega, email@example.com .
Sign up and/or Opt-in to School Messenger to stay informed with Kingsley ES and DCSD news and updates.
We are Kingsley Elementary School where our staff and students strive for the best and never accept anything less.
Location: 2051 Brendon Drive, Dunwoody, GA, USA